Beating a dead horse, but.... Hiking boots?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Keep looking... I think that there are more choices than those you linked to, I would not like any of those either...... sooooooo sick of the "tacticool" look that seems to prevail as the best outdoor clothing... ex." Magpul apparel" oh pppplease!
I don't care one way or the other if it's "tacticool", hippy, native American, or what-have-you.....
I need a boot that fits, first and foremost. Then I'd like it to be flexible so that I have clutch and ground feel. And durable.
I haven't seen any other Danner boot that has a wide toe-box and flexible sole.

perterra

Adventurer
I don't care one way or the other if it's "tacticool", hippy, native American, or what-have-you.....
I need a boot that fits, first and foremost. Then I'd like it to be flexible so that I have clutch and ground feel. And durable.

I'm the opposite, could care less about flexible, prefer it it stiff so it doesnt oil can over rocks. Clutch feel is unimportant to me, I use engine sound to tell me whats happening

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!

Bill, You should just wear the boxes. Ha ha ha!

CSG

Explorer
I've been incredibly impressed and happy with my Merrill Goretex Moabs for the three years I've now owned them.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Just got a pair of New Balance MT10v4 trail runners from REI for $56 (half price). All they had left was size 14 ---- for once it worked out for old bigfoot...
They fit great. We'll be hiking this weekend and I should be able to put 30 or 40 miles on them between beerfests at the campfire.
They weigh nothing. Sole is Vibram and thicker than my MTv1 that I wear every day to the gym. I like the 1 but I can feel too many rocks with them on real hikes.

https://www.rei.com/product/899123/...unning-shoes-mens?CAWELAID=120217890002511692
https://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-Mens-10v4-Trail/dp/B015XCR656?th=1

M10V43.jpg

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Super frustrated...

Anyone have suggestions for me? Need a wide boot. My arch length runs a 12, my foot length is 11 to 11.5. So long toe box isn't great. But wide is necessary. I have flat squarish feet and prefer a stiffer boot for backpacking or when I put my kid in the pack. Weight wise I run about 220 (30 too much for my 6' frame, but I've tried over and over to keep it off).

Light weight shoes just don't last or give the foot support I like. Favorite boot so far is Zamberlains, but I'm looking for something lighter that breathes better...

sent via the cone of silence

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Super frustrated...

Anyone have suggestions for me? Need a wide boot. My arch length runs a 12, my foot length is 11 to 11.5. So long toe box isn't great. But wide is necessary. I have flat squarish feet and prefer a stiffer boot for backpacking or when I put my kid in the pack. Weight wise I run about 220 (30 too much for my 6' frame, but I've tried over and over to keep it off).

Light weight shoes just don't last or give the foot support I like. Favorite boot so far is Zamberlains, but I'm looking for something lighter that breathes better...

sent via the cone of silence

I would seriously recommend that you go to an REI and talk to someone in the shoe department. They receive a lot of training and can address issues with proper fit and proper footwear for the intended purpose. You should be able to tell pretty fast if they know what they are talking about, or just simply tell them that you need someone who has experience in this area. They will be your best chance for good advice.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I would seriously recommend that you go to an REI and talk to someone in the shoe department. They receive a lot of training and can address issues with proper fit and proper footwear for the intended purpose. You should be able to tell pretty fast if they know what they are talking about, or just simply tell them that you need someone who has experience in this area. They will be your best chance for good advice.
I agree.
REI dude is who steered me to the minimalist shoes I use most of the time; I never would've tried them without his advice.

As for you though, give the Keen Durand a try. They're much wider than most other boots, tough, supportive.
They're what I wear when I need that degree of boot.

Stryder106

Explorer
I drive in Merrill Moab's, but if I'm going on a longer hike or the terrain looks like more ankle support is warranted, I wear my Asolo's.

hks3sgte

César Gómez
These Danner's seem interesting. Light weight and flexible sole. Also available in different widths. Anyone try them yet?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
These Danner's seem interesting. Light weight and flexible sole. Also available in different widths. Anyone try them yet?
Looks interesting.
My experience with boots that use EVA for the midsole is that it won't hold up to my bulk. At 6'5" and a solid 240 pounds, I usually tear it apart quickly. EVA likes you to be 160 or less.
But Danner might use better EVA than Merrell/Keen/Lowa, etc.

And it doesn't seem to come in a 14 wide. Danner's 14 D usually is much to narrow for me. :(

DiscoDino

Observer
I've tried almost all boots out there...Salomon work for me...used for Kili and using again now for Everest Base Camp...the Arc'Teryx boots look great too, but haven't tried yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier