Bears and Food

ErrinV

Observer
Not sure where to post this so if this is in the wrong forum I apologize.

So I was planning on motorcycling up to Alaska in a year or two solo. Not carrying much of anything in the food department, just stopping when I was hungry sort of thing. Now it has turned into a drive in the truck and since finding this website I have found some things that "need" to be done to the truck for a better camping experience. The main thing is installing a fridge so that we can eat like kings and queens whenever we want. So my question is when up in Alaska (or any bear country) is that safe to do? I imagine it would be ok, tons of rvs up there, but I have seen pics of what a hungry bar can do when they smell food. Would the food be safe inside the car? We may be sleeping above the truck, so we might be nearby to the fridge.

Seems alot of people are in Arizona, but anyone have experience with travel a little more northerly?

Errin

paulj

Expedition Leader
As you mention, lots of RVs travel to Alaska - you can get the latest scoop from their perspective on RV.Net Open Roads forum
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/65.cfm

Also get yourself a copy of the standard road guide, Mileposts.

It's the California bears, especially Yosemite, that are experts at getting at food inside cars. Elsewhere bears aren't as habituated to people and cars, though they still get at anything left out in the open or in coolers.

Canadian National Parks have a clean camp policy to reduce bear problems. In Banff Nat Park, the tent camping area at Lake Louise is surrounded by an electric fence.

There was an Alaska travels thread a while back on this site.

paulj

ErrinV

Observer
Thanks Paul. That makes sense about the california bears. Much bigger ratio of people to bears I'd imagine in such a small space. I'm going to try and make it up to Deadhorse, so I was more worried about bear encounters the farther away from the city I get.

I already have the Milepost, great resource.

Errin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles