Bear Grylls Clothing?

ssssnake529

Explorer
Craghoppers, who makes the BG line, has been making high quality clothing for the UK/Euro market for a lot longer than the triple aught folks have been in business. I doubt that the people who are criticizing the BG clothing line have even worn any of it.

Ramjet

Explorer
r u saying BG brand is not quality?
Absolutely not. I have brands from about every major manufacturer in the world, I just like the fact that TAD is made in the USA and it's a quality product. I'm sure the BG line is of excellent quality coming from Craghoppers.

ywen

Explorer
Oh ok.. because I was very confused about injecting tad into the bear conv....

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Most of the suff Gerber makes is a product of china, That being said the stuff they do for the military is required to be made in the USA. Your getting execelent quality with the military stuff esspecially with the S30V steel blades. your getting decent to good quality goods with the rest of the products minus the gerber axes which is really just a product of fiskars since fiskars owns gerber. What really sets Gerber apart is there design team. Very unique designs and they put out more products then any of the other knife companies period.

4Rocker

Observer
I ordered a pair of the dark grey survival trousers with the reinforced seat and knees last year, and was a bit disappointed. The pair I received seemed to run small for the size (36 long) and the stitching and material quality was a little disappointing. They look cool, but I find myself almost never wearing them. I will be trying a different brand next time, probably Vertex or Triple Aught Design. Just my 2c.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Even our sales rep with Gerber says the BG line is not as high quality as some of their other products. According to him, it was designed to appeal to a certain demographic. It was a means for them to sell lower priced, lower quality products with a bit more broad range appeal.
I've been buying Gerbers for years and years, but a few years back I looked at one I got and it said China and not Portland. Took it back and never got another one.:coffee:
Don't wear Nikes either. Nike started out in Eugene. Can't always do USA but I try.

Caoboy

Adventurer
Anything BG is probably going to disappoint, and probably a fraud just like him. That's not even his real name!

I'd have to dissagree with you here. Bear while a little hokey does have real experience with outdoor and survival world, He had alot of input with the designs of his gerber knife products and I have to say the BG Parang is super handy.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I've been buying Gerbers for years and years, but a few years back I looked at one I got and it said China and not Portland. Took it back and never got another one.:coffee:
Don't wear Nikes either. Nike started out in Eugene. Can't always do USA but I try.

Same with Kershaw out of Tualatin I'm afraid...some of their stuff is made in the USA but others is out of China...ick!

So those who posted on the first page about their B.G. Craghoppers clothing not impressing...out of curiosity, what are you comparing it against? (I got the B.G./Craghoppers catalog in the mail the other day, out of the blue. Looked like clever marketing on the B.G. front).

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Same with Kershaw out of Tualatin I'm afraid...some of their stuff is made in the USA but others is out of China...ick!

So those who posted on the first page about their B.G. Craghoppers clothing not impressing...out of curiosity, what are you comparing it against? (I got the B.G./Craghoppers catalog in the mail the other day, out of the blue. Looked like clever marketing on the B.G. front).
geez Kershaw too.....a very American company.
Out source is going to kill the USA I swear.......who's going to buy this stuff when everyone here is under-employed or unemployed. the Chinese I guess when we are, out of desperation, willing to work for less then they are. Reversal of fortune I guess. :coffeedrink:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Because I work in specialty outdoor retail I get to see how consumers respond to different brands. It's really odd.

Some people will turn their noses up at certain brands that the outdoor industry as a whole holds in very high regard, then walk out the door with complete junk. It's strange.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Because I work in specialty outdoor retail I get to see how consumers respond to different brands. It's really odd.

Some people will turn their noses up at certain brands that the outdoor industry as a whole holds in very high regard, then walk out the door with complete junk. It's strange.

To each their own right? Kinda is strange though.

Any examples?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
To each their own right? Kinda is strange though.

Any examples?
I'm not judging, I just think it's interesting how people view some brands.

Examples? One customer looked at me like I was bonkers for suggesting he consider an Arc'teryx backpack. His reply, "those are poorly designed, cheap, and no one likes them. Do you have any Jansport packs?" Now, to me THAT is nuts. Arc'teryx is about as good as it gets. I think some people just get brands mixed up in their heads.

Another customer said he didn't want anything cheap and crappy like Mountain Hardware. Okay, I guess it's good enough to climb every Himalayan peak but not for this feller. He left with a White Sierra jacket...our price point offering.

We'll even have people say, "These boots are my favorite. I buy a new pair every six months." Okay, why not buy good boots that last? Just sayin'.

We get a lot of, "...I heard those <insert product here> are terrible." This could be said about anything from tent stakes to $800 jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles