Beadlock wheels

Arvinc

You are welcome.

Many tire places won't mount tires to rims that are out of the MFG's rim range. The warranty, if any, might not be honored, even if a tire place does mount them, or if someone does the mounting himself/herself. Tires can wear unevenly and have poor handling characteristics on-road. It may be illegal depending on where one lives.

Why do you want to run wider tires?

What vehicle will you mount them on?

Will this vehicle be used only off-road, only on-road, or both on-road and off-road?

What is the stock tire size?

I am considering all possibilities, part of that is figuring out the range of tire choices i could run with the wheels. It is going on a G55 AMG with wider arches, so while function is most important, ideally some aesthetics would be great; i.e. if i can avoid spaceship fitment, it would be great. So i am trying to figure out how i can "fill out" the wheel arches a bit and flush the wheels and tires to the body.

The vehicle will be used, at least when i put on the beadlocks, for light offroading/campings; mostly overlanding.

Stock tire size is 265/65/18, if i recall correctly.

1000arms

I am considering all possibilities, part of that is figuring out the range of tire choices i could run with the wheels. It is going on a G55 AMG with wider arches, so while function is most important, ideally some aesthetics would be great; i.e. if i can avoid spaceship fitment, it would be great. So i am trying to figure out how i can "fill out" the wheel arches a bit and flush the wheels and tires to the body.

The vehicle will be used, at least when i put on the beadlocks, for light offroading/campings; mostly overlanding.

Stock tire size is 265/65/18, if i recall correctly.
I see load range "E" tires being mentioned. I don't know that the G-Wagen came with 10-ply tires, but I can tell you that installing 10-ply tires on a light-duty vehicle can seriously degrade the ride quality...
Looks like stock tires would be 285/55R18 or 275/55R19, from the quick search that I did. Take a look at the Duratrac link I posted, and check out 255/55R16 and 245/75R16. Please note that the 245/75R16 is available in load range C and Load range E. As MTVR points out, "installing 10-ply tires on a light-duty vehicle can seriously degrade the ride quality..." on the road. The tires might also wear unevenly. Some people want the stiffer and tougher load range E versions off-road, especially when aired down.

I suggest checking the backspacing on the beadlock rims, and comparing it to the stock tire/wheel backspacing.

Just to clarify, your vehicle will be used on-road too, yes?

For a dedicated off-road-only vehicle, I would suggest running aired down load range E tires (unless the vehicle was extremely light), but, I don't think that is your plan.

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
I see load range "E" tires being mentioned. I don't know that the G-Wagen came with 10-ply tires, but I can tell you that installing 10-ply tires on a light-duty vehicle can seriously degrade the ride quality...

I have BFG KO2 E rated on my 550 and it firmed it up a bit, but by no means degraded it. I also have Cooper AT3 XLT E rated on my Ram 1500 Diesel, and the ride only firmed up a bit, but handling improved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles