bay area run sat dec 14th

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Nice pics! Especially like the one of Carlos's rig in front and you and I behind it perfectly posed even though neither of us did anything besides parking there as is. Nicely done.

You also did a really great job getting a sense of the scale of things on how steep some of it was. BTW, can I borrow some of those pics to post on both 4x4wire and FB?

thanks, yes

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I am in the differentials but I'm running the 3.15:1 xcase gears from Australia. The front and rear drivetrain (Axles & ring/pinions) are strong enough to handle 35's and even 37's.

The earlier SR's (94-96) came with 4.6:1 r&p gears. I will be upgrading them to 4.9:1 soon since added gear reduction is better for crawling. If you're just planning on overlanding then the lower gears (in either the xcase or differentials) are probably not necessary even with the 4.2:1 r&p in the gen 2.5's. The drivetrain is sufficient to handle the tire size and the engine is powerful enough to turn them (albeit you'll accelerate slower than usual)

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I am in the differentials but I'm running the 3.15:1 xcase gears from Australia. The front and rear drivetrain (Axles & ring/pinions) are strong enough to handle 35's and even 37's.

The earlier SR's (94-96) came with 4.6:1 r&p gears. I will be upgrading them to 4.9:1 soon since added gear reduction is better for crawling. If you're just planning on overlanding then the lower gears (in either the xcase or differentials) are probably not necessary even with the 4.2:1 r&p in the gen 2.5's. The drivetrain is sufficient to handle the tire size and the engine is powerful enough to turn them (albeit you'll accelerate slower than usual)

I'm not worried about their strength, was just curious how guys were liking the stock gears with 35's. My plan is to run 33's with the stock 4.27 gears until I snag some 4.63 3rd members out of a 94-96 and then maybe consider 35's.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
you would be ok with 33s and 4.27s but I recommend to re-gear for 35s. Ill be doing that some time in the future.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Looks like one of you is haunted by the blue ghost, Nice turn out dudes!

FullMonte

Adventurer
Are you guys having another run this spring/summer?

Hello,

I am patiently waiting for my OME 2" kit and once I have those, I'll feel more confident to explore! I don't know if Ill put on the 33's yet, I want to wear out my tires first!

Are you guys planning another trip like this? I would like to join if can!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles