Batwing tarp + hammocks

Corgi_express

I have been hammock camping for many years, and when there are not trees around, we have used other methods for suspending hammocks. The trick to building a light but strong hammock stand is to design it in such a way that the support members are under compression, rather than trying to flex. As an example, the Tato gear portable stand has a ridge pole that the hammock connects to, to keep the hammock ends apart, and then uses tripods on each end to support the weight.

I have recently seen some videos about batwing tarps that are pretty sturdy, so it got me thinking that it should not be that hard to use these same principles to hang a pair of hammocks under a batwing. Add adjustable support poles, attached to the tarp trusses, and a pair of ridge poles between the trusses, and you could make something plenty strong. This would be almost as fast to set up as a roof top tent, but in a style of camping that I personally enjoy a lot more. I have never heard of anyone trying something like this, and I am not even really sure where to start to look for a shop that could help me fabricate something, but I am really keen to try this idea out. Anyone have an in with a batwing tarp manufacturer who would be open to some experimenting?

tato.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles