Batwing Awning Pros & Cons?

Offrdin4fun

I am recently transitioning from local four wheeling and adventuring to more of an overlander as I grow older and want to enjoy a broader range of territory and am hoping some of you wouldn't mind enlightening me to the choices benefitting a left or right batwing. Thanks

rayra

Expedition Leader
Pros
2. Ease of setup / deployment

Cons
1. Cost
2. Cost
3. Cost
4. Cost

We've got a whole subforum for Rooftop tents and Awnings, btw -

Offrdin4fun

Thanks for directing me to that thread- it is very informative. I think I was overlooking what may be obvious. In the US we drive on the right hand side of the road so it only seems logical to have the awning on the right so one can merely pull to the side of the road and deploy some shade out of the line of fire from passing vehicles if desired. Hence the opposite in left hand driving territories? I would assume that must be the purpose of having left and right opening awnings.

krick3tt

Adventurer
It makes no difference what side of the road one drives on to require an awning open on that side. Almost all would be deployed in an off road situation and would be at the discretion of the vehicle owner. It more often than not is the side that has the facilities of the vehicle to require protection form sun or weather.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I think I'd agree with @krick3tt here, the side you drive on probably has less of an influence than which side your RTT swings or your layout of doors, fridge, drawers, etc. I would think the side of the road we drive on might influence rear bumper swing outs, though. If you exit on the left side you want a right side swing out so you're not walking all the way around it in a parking lot.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I was thinking about a bat wing but I already have an awning on the right side. I would have to move the awning or get a left opening BW awning. Seems for the $$ it might not be worth it as there some cons to the BW that are also the cons to just about any awning in respect to wind especially. I have been looking for a video that shows attachment to a FR roof rack, so far no luck in my searches, perhaps I am not looking in the right places.IMG_0047.JPG
My rear swing out on the bumper goes to the right and the LR rear door opens up and tail gate goes down so my best option so far is a left opening BW.

Last edited:

kdeleon

Observer
I opted for the driver side opening. I use this primarily when camped and given that the jeep swings out to passenger side, it makes most sense to have the awning on the most usable space i have.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
My EZ-Awn Bat270 is on the driver's side, because I have a rack-mount water tank (13 gal) on the passenger side and my fridge access is from the driver side back door. Light breezes are no problem and when it's windy I just don't deploy it. Tank and awning are mounted to the sides of a long Smitty Defender rack, which is mounted directly to a fiberglass camper shell. Previous setup was mounted to a Con-Ferr basket riding on a set of Yakima cross bars.IMG_2383.jpgIMG_2384.jpg

Offrdin4fun

Thanks guys- all good info here. I am leaning towards the rt hand side for the awning since I am not always off road- since here in America we drive on the right and fishing off the shoulder of the road is quite commonn here since most the lakes here are glacier lakes with very little if any beach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior