Battry help

Jshields

I'm wanting to upgrade to a AGM battery. I've decided on a Group 27F. Now my problem. I know Northstar and Odyssey whoop Optima in every way. However no one in my area carries Northstar (Batteries plus is over a hour away) and Odyssey seem to be out of stock everywhere. I got 3 auto parts stores that can get the Optimas next day. The most we do at this point is some weekend camping. Nothing crazy. So am I handicapping myself going with the Optima yellow top D27F.

Jshields

I'm back and forth on it. I know I can get the mail ordered but i also like to support local businesses when i can. Getting a replacement next day is nice to since my truck is a daily driver.

ExpoMike

Look at the Walmart AGM battery. They are made by Johnson Control and the best thing is, they are warrantied at any Walmart, which at this point is about any mid to large town. Makes it easy to swap out on the road traveling, if needed.

Alloy

Choose one that provided the most warranty per dollar. Often these are renewable energy types.

My $0.02....only reasons for an AGM upgrade is not adding water and being sealed......but.......acid keeps (on the 2nd set) coming out of the FORD AGMs in my F350.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Too late for OP, but I used a SuperStart AGM, Group 31 in my camper for several years. I eventually killed it by leaving the heat on for a few months by accident. The fan would run all night, every night, till the battery was dead, but the solar wasn't enough to charge it completely during the day, and by the time I noticed, it had several shorted cells that I couldn't recover...)

The battery was ~$200 from Oreilly's. They may not have one in stock, but they can usually get it in just a few days. SuperStart is actually a Deka battery, good reputation!
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...2007-nissan-quest?q=superstart+group+27&pos=4

I'm running a couple of old 100Ah Northstar SLA batteries now. I got them for $10 each from a cellular service center. I'm on my 2nd set, and they usually last three or four years. (they're usually about 50% by the time they get to me...)

I would agree that unless your battery is inside, where you can't have it venting, there's not much reason to use an AGM battery over a flooded battery. In a vehicle, especially, AGM is not ideal because most vehicles charging systems run higher voltage than the AGM really wants... My Jeep is the only exception, as for whatever reason, Jeep typically charges in the high 13v range, rather than 14.3 like most others. I have a 11 yo optima that's still showing decent results on the battery tester, though the capacity is down to 50% or so... Charging AGM's at 14V+ constantly is pretty hard on them, which explains perhaps why Alloy might be seeing problems. My GMC would cook an AGM in 12 months I bet!! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles