Battery upgrade vs dual battery install

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
I need more battery capacity to run my fridge. I do not really want to install a dual battery system and wonder if upgrading my stock battery to an Optima Yellow Top will provide any significant benefit. I would be grateful for any feedback.
Thanks,
Gunn

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Short answer - do both. Do your homework on batteries, and find a BCI group size with the highest "RC" that will fit into your stock location. With some exceptions, size matters when it comes to battery storage capacity.

I am deep into this research right now. I will be adding a substantially larger battery to replace the stock unit (original in my 2005 Jeep) AND I am adding a second, small(ish) battery that will serve solely as a backup starting battery. There is no single battery (within reason) that will do more than increase your stock battery's storage capacity by about 50-60% or so. A second battery will increase it by at least 100%.

Do the math on your load and time needs, then you will know if the up-sized battery will be enough or not.

And look beyond the swiss roll batteries. Optima is owned by Johnson Controls, and there is quite a range of experiences and opinions on them. Look into Odyssey and Deka. Odyssey is very expensive, but about the best battery you can get in AGM from a durability and capacity standpoint. For me, flooded cell batteries have always served me well, and I will continue using them.

Just my $0.02.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I am looking into this as well OP. I currently have a solenoid that was installed for trailer charging duties and tied into a 7 pin trailer harness (camping trailer not YET adventure trailer) and a single battery in the Jeep.

I want to go to 2 batteries in the Jeep and of course the trailer battery. Not sure where to start? I want to look at isolator options for a 3 battery setup, anyone know of any good ones?

Sorry to hijack...good info above on the Optima.

ExpoScout

Explorer
If you do decide to go the Optima route (which if you ask opinions, you'll get a mixed review) go with the blue top. I have one and it has been wonderful.

With that being said I'm going with an Odyssey next time....probably two of them.

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
I am in the UAE and my battery selection is limited. The Optima is readily available.

I have a Waeco 18 amp hr power supply that ran the fridge for about 18hrs (in the air conditioned house). In the field, with warmer temperatures and people opening and closing the lid to get drinks and food it did less well. I had to start the car and let the engine run several times a day to keep the battery charged.

Perhaps a battery upgrade and a solar panel.

brussum

Adventurer
...I want to go to 2 batteries in the Jeep and of course the trailer battery. Not sure where to start? I want to look at isolator options for a 3 battery setup, anyone know of any good...

I just installed an IBS isolator in my Land Cruiser. It was a relatively simple install and works great. I also looked at a comparable product from National Luna. Both seemed good and you can order either from Adventure Trailers. It's definitely the way to go if you need more battery capacity while protecting your starter battery from excessive drain.

keezer37

Explorer
There are variety of setups you can look at here: Hellroaring. Read through the instructions for the isolators offered. There is more good info there too. Like proper battery sizing.:ylsmoke:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
If you do decide to go the Optima route (which if you ask opinions, you'll get a mixed review) go with the blue top. I have one and it has been wonderful.

With that being said I'm going with an Odyssey next time....probably two of them.

Only diff between yellow and blue is the terminals.

ExpoScout

Explorer

On paper yes. Perhaps as a general rule, yes.

However, I went through two yellows before they replaced it with a blue and I've yet to have a problem. These were both 34's.

As I stated before my next will be a Die Hard/Odyssey grp 31.

southpaws3

Observer
my .02cents

i use heavy gauge wiring(like hellroaring) plus i use a premire power welder alternator (190 amp) w/ 2 batteries (acid)for winch,truck,radio. then a isloated yellow for the extra goodies w/ a solar charger for my cb,tv,fridge,trailer,heater,tent that can be attached to my trailer w/ a blue top.

bluejeep

just a guy
I pondered this dilemma for a bit myself. Decided to go with a huge battery (DEKA) and will be adding solar to either run the frig, or top off the battery, or both.

As with most mods, I wasn't worried about if the battery fit in the stock location, I chose the battery first, then did some minor mods to make it fit. Got one with a bunch of reserve.

For solar I will be going with the GoalZero briefcase panel, I like the protection aspect of the design when it's stored. I plan to get 2 units so will have 60 watts or amps or something, I get very confused and have slept since I made the decision.

In the future, if I want to go with the belts and suspenders AND another safe guard, I like the idea of a small dedicated starting battery for emergency use only. I've not researched that, and probably won't until well after I've rigged up and tested all the solar stuff. Field testing, very important

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Great information!

I checked out the IBS system, very impressive. I love the intelligent battery monitoring system, the price is a bit high...but you get what you pay for I guess?

The Hellroaring 3 battery RV setup looks interesting as well, exactly what I am looking for (thanks for posting this).

Auxiliary%20Battery%20Isolation.jpg

I am going to swap out my stock airbox in the Jeep (Cherokee XJ) and replace with a cowl snorkel of my own design (Thor Induction Style) or the actual Thor unit, and use the stock box location for the 2nd under hood battery. Mostly to run aux lighting and ICE etc. Maybe a fridge one day?

Thanks for the replies!
Greg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society

Yellow-tops have better warranty. Also, Bluetop is available in the larger D31M; no Yellow alternative if you want that extra reserve.

Joining the Power Pack Nation can get you direct mail-order batteries from the factory and a decent discount.

And look at post 51 in this thread; I believe this guy works for Oshkosh Truck.

If I went dual, I'd want Optima; they bounce back the best, time and again. If I just wanted one big-honkin' battery, there are some available with more amps than Optima has.
I like my dual D31M batteries though. They've been very very forgiving in the trailer, easy to charge, slow to discharge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz