Battery Questions

Ycherd

Hey guys,

I think my battery is now dead, it doesn't recharge it stays at 0V or 2V after 12 hours (and the charger has been tested :). So I was wondering what is the best battery for an NP DiD 3.2? I had a Century N70Z which seemed to be not bad despite it's dead now.

Any advice about a brand/model and where to buy (in Brisbane)?

Indeed 2 months from now, the car went splat because my girlfriend forgot the headlights for 3 days. The car still beeped when I opened the doors. RACQ for the win and a good recharge and it was back... But now, my turn, I forgot the left small "map lamp" (the ones around the front interior lamp) for almost 2 weeks. I had to open the doors with the keys :-(

I am trying the last try tonight and tomorrow morning I will go to supercheap and buy the top one (Century 4wd 700CCA - I saw it last time when I bought my charger - ~ $220 ) if my friend can jumpstart me :)

Cheers,

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Since the diesel model Monteros are not available in the US, I'm not sure about the battery size in your NP.
I'm running a group 34 AGM in my NM. However, my rig does not have big power draw...besides a few auxiliary lights, the only draw is the winch (when it's needed).
Cheers

PaydayGabe

Hey Inmates ,

Here's my Battery question.

The Sport requires a
group 24 batt, but I'm considering a group 24MS 1000cca Marine batt as the primary.
??, would this be a good alternative to the std Battery??
I have a 200amp alternator installed and intend to do some additional accessories in the future.
Thanks for your replies and recommendations. G.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

PacS14

Adventurer
I'm no expert, but it should work, at some point I personally would add a secondary battery if I were to add a winch and a bunch of other stuff. Try it and report back!

Soupy

No idea about sports but most of the time you can find the dimensions of the battery and then measure the space you have. At that point I would get the biggest battery you can fit! Also I agree about the second battery (isolated) .

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
The only reason you would need a bigger battery would be if you intend to run your accessories with the truck not running.....otherwise your 200 amp alternator should be covering your power needs with engine on using the standard battery.....imo

PaydayGabe

Thanks for the replies,,
My main intention is to have a solid foundation for future goodies, ,
solar maybe,
winch, auxiliary lighting
with a power inverter for miscellaneous tools.
The question of the best battery for double duty,
Starting and reserve was what I was looking for, hence the 24MS 1000cca. .

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
If you’ll be using the battery frequently without the vehicle running, and draining battery, you’d want a deep cycle battery that can tolerate being discharged to a lower voltage. Standard batteries (12v automotive) don’t like to be run down, it will shorten their life a lot if they are frequently used hard (meaning draining to a low voltage). They like to stay topped off. Deep cycle batteries however tolerate more cycles of deep discharge, that is what they are designed for. But again, if you will be running your engine when you are powering your accessories, your alternator will deliver all the amperage needed with minimal discharge of a standard car battery, IMO. I’m not sure about a deep cycle battery being used to start a car though, they don’t normally have as high a CCA rating as a normal car battery. If you are looking to power stuff with the engine off, maybe you need to consider a second battery. I know whenever I’m winching my truck is running. A 200 amp alternator seems crazy to me! The standard Mitsu alternator I think is 100 amps.....I can’t imagine needing double that! I think for winching demands, the question is how much winching......how long....how many sessions....time between sessions.

Last edited:

PaydayGabe

hey, , as I mentioned, the 24MS is 1000cca and Marine rated.
So I'm guessing it is adequate for both starting and moderate discharges.
if anyone knows better,, please chime in.
The Std Montero Sport alternator is 85amp rated.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Some batteries are designed for use as a starting battery and a deep cycle.
One I'm familiar with is the yellow top Optima. I'm sure there are other batteries designed for both...

You may think about posting this question in the "Power Systems" forum...you'll likely get a lot more input.
Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke