"Battery Packs" are storage devices. "Battery Packs" aren't "Solar Generators". Refrigerators aren't "Food Generators".

67cj5

Man On a Mission
That's good info and I never thought of a few small ones instead of one large. I almost considered the Dometic PLB-40. It's one of those buy once cry once items. I could not overlook the Jackery. I was price driven on that and my solar panel.
The Jackery is as good as any other out there and it has a 110 or 240v outlet depending where you are/Live in the World, In one respect the Jackery has the edge over the PLB because it has the AC inverter, Where as my Idea was to go totally 12v as I have inverters ranging from 300w up to 1500/3000w pure sine wave plus I have a 2000w Petrol/Gas powered Generator to use on longer trips if needed,

The latest range of Jackery Power Boxes are up on the top shelf along with Bluetti/Power Oak and Dometic, So If the Jackery or Rockpalls layout works for you then I would stick with them and grab a Spare if at all possible then you will not be limited by Cloudy Days or running short of Outlets etc. The other good thing about having 1 or 2 extra smaller Boxes is if one goes down or fails then you still have power, If you buy one of those Big Ones and it goes down then you have got nothing and have to cut your Trip Short and pack up and Go Home. (y)

Last edited:

1000arms

FWIW in my experience, mAh ratings are used to relate capacity to how long the battery(s) will support a load for a specific amount of time, typically hours, portion of a hour, minutes, and seconds. Having the capacity stated in mAh (vs Ah), just makes it easier to figure out. With experience, most people can calculate the result in their head and get a pretty good estimate. mAh capacity has become a standard measurement, and helps in making comparisons for equivalent voltage and type batteries, or to figure out which battery to select for a specific task. This is associated with a specific time period that is needed for the load to do the task.

In a nutshell it takes more math equations to figure out batteries specific load capacity in Ah vs mAh. It is no problem for the end user to choose whatever they wish as a measurement. So as you can see there is no deception or marketing ploys. Milliamps is strictly a standard of measurement used to accurately calculate battery capacity.

I hope this explains it accurately. I'm in no way arguing to as what measurement you want to use. Whatever you choose is fine. I'm simply explaining as to why you see battery capacity in milliamps vs amps. For those of you that have a MacBook click on the apple in the left hand corner and check out your battery. All measurements are in mAh.

Rockpals has a fantastic deal on a portable power station right now. 520 watt hours and less than 15lbs for only 329.00 with instant coupon. I am not familiar with this brand but that is a hard deal to pass up for someone looking for one of these.

The specs are clear as day and are as follows: 520WH/46.85AH, 500W, 1000W Peak, equivalent 140400mAh/3.7V No fake marketing and the mAh rating is being used appropriately for the description of use.

Add in a small solar panel and you have yourself a really nice portable solar generator to take with you off grid in your travels.

... The OP made a confusing statement that a fridge doesn't generate food. To me anything that holds food generates it. ...
:unsure: ... :unsure: ... :unsure: ... I've taught kids, and I've taught adults, many subjects. I've written (and drawn) on chalkboards, whiteboards, napkins, in sand and snow, and using computers.

I created this thread to help people from being fooled by what I consider to be a deceptive marketing term, but, I'm sorry, I don't know how to help you.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
That's good info and I never thought of a few small ones instead of one large. I almost considered the Dometic PLB-40. It's one of those buy once cry once items. I could not overlook the Jackery. I was price driven on that and my solar panel.
There's some good info In this link most of it I have been saying for a couple of years now ever since I bought the PLB's, Stating that these power boxes are able to replace Duel Battery systems,

1000arms

Hahahaha! This thread is gold! ... It's something i find quite amusing too! ...

I chuckle at this type of stuff, but if people are silly enough to buy them, its on them really! :)
Thanks!

True, but, I created this thread because I don't want kind-hearted-but-naive-people buying a "solar generator" as a gift for someone else, or for themselves, without knowing what the product truly is.:)

Yes, it is on them, but, if they do a little research and find this thread, well, they just might now be a bit more knowledgeable.

:unsure: ... Say, isn't that one of the nice things about a forum like this? ... :cool:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
The cool thing is I now have both a dual battery and a power box. Thank you for the link Sir.
I bought 2 of the fold out Solar Panel rated at 120w each so I can hook them up in series or parallel depending on how bright the sun is or whether I am Charging a PLB or my my Battery Bank or the Starter Battery,

I made up leads with the big Anderson Plugs to fit the PLB also so I can add a Meter in line so I can monitor the power coming from the Solar in to the PLB, The Panels Came with a PWM controllers If needed and I have made up Leads so I can hook up a Victron MPPT controller when charging my Battery bank. So I have multi ways of of charging using the 2 folding panels.

chadwicksavage

Adventurer
I am a kind hearted naive man who has been considering a solar generator. I too have drawn on napkins and whiteboard and yes even computers that I one day hope to power with mythical solar generators. In other news - was anyone ever confused by the term? Was this a non issue that got blown way out of proportion by someone who was confused by marketing themselves? That's what it sounds like to me. OP thought it was a solar generator and got butt hurt when he read about it.

Why does this thread even exist on the internet? This is my first foray into this section of the forums and I might be out because of this thread.

Also the jackery solar generator looks awesome. I think you just sit it in the sun and it like shakes or something and a copper coil spins around a magnet because of sun flares or scientology or something.

• Haha
Reactions: plh

1000arms

... OP thought it was a solar generator and got butt hurt when he read about it. ...
Incorrect.

See:
... I'm not angry, upset, confused, and/or cranky. I just posted this thread to help people. :)

I am a bit surprised by the number of people who, seem to me, have had an adverse and unwarranted reaction to my attempt to help people by creating this thread, but, I'm not angry, upset, confused, and/or cranky about it. :)

I hope that everyone that reads this post has a pleasant day! :)

... Why does this thread even exist on the internet? ...
See:
... I created this thread to help people from being fooled by what I consider to be a deceptive marketing term. ...
and see:
... I created this thread because I don't want kind-hearted-but-naive-people buying a "solar generator" as a gift for someone else, or for themselves, without knowing what the product truly is.:) ...

:unsure: ... Say, isn't that one of the nice things about a forum like this? ... :cool:
... This is my first foray into this section of the forums and I might be out because of this thread. ...
That is your choice. If you decide to stick around, well, you might want to read (or perhaps reread) the first post of this thread:

I think "Solar Generator" is a deceptive and dishonest marketing term when applied to a battery pack.

Battery packs are storage devices, which are charged and discharged, but don't generate electricity.

Refrigerators are also storage devices. One can put food in a fridge (at least until it is full), one can take food out of a fridge (at least until it is empty), but, the fridge doesn't generate food.

There are many ways to generate electricity. For example, one could use gasoline, diesel fuel, wind, water, humans, and/or the sun. It can be quite useful to store this energy for use at another time. Perhaps for when the wind isn't blowing, the sun isn't shining, when one wants the quiet of a non-running engine, or simply doesn't want to pedal at the moment. Batteries can be used to store energy for those times. "Battery Packs" have a battery, or batteries, for storage.

Solar panels covert solar energy in to electrical energy. Battery packs don't convert solar energy in to electrical energy, but, rather, they can store electrical energy from gas generators, diesel generators, hydro, humans, and from solar panels.

Please don't be fooled by the marketing term "Solar Generator". Please don't trust any company that uses the marketing term "Solar Generator" on anything that isn't (only) a solar panel.

I hope that everyone that reads this post has a pleasant day! :)

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I am a kind hearted naive man who has been considering a solar generator. I too have drawn on napkins and whiteboard and yes even computers that I one day hope to power with mythical solar generators. In other news - was anyone ever confused by the term? Was this a non issue that got blown way out of proportion by someone who was confused by marketing themselves? That's what it sounds like to me. OP thought it was a solar generator and got butt hurt when he read about it.

Why does this thread even exist on the internet? This is my first foray into this section of the forums and I might be out because of this thread.

Also the jackery solar generator looks awesome. I think you just sit it in the sun and it like shakes or something and a copper coil spins around a magnet because of sun flares or scientology or something.
Doing the Maths and comparing different models and sizes, I have worked out that any of the 500 to 1000Wh are the better way to go, WHY??, well mainly because the much larger versions can't be Charged by a 12v Cigar outlet, All the big models list that they can be charged Only Charged via 300 to 600watts of Solar or via a Wall Socket/AC, Where as most models under 1000Wh can be charged via AC / Solar /and the Cigar Socket, So if a person needs more power then they are better off buying Two 500Wh or two 1000Wh models.

300w or 600w of solar panels is going to take up a lot of space unless you have a large Van with a big flat roof which makes them and impossible option for anyone with a 4x4 or average camper van, And charging Via an AC outlet via a Gas powered Generator in the Bush meens sitting in one spot to charge the bigger solar generators for 10 to 12 hours, Where as the 500/1000Wh models can be charged within 4 to 6 hours via a 12v socket or Solar ETC. because 90% of 500/1000Wh have the 12v charging option. Sure it would be nice to have one of the bigger 1500/2000Wh+ models but their Charge times are similar to that of a couple of 115Ah Lead Acid Batteries and when you factor in the Cost and Charge time a person is better off with either 2 smaller Solar generators because these lithium packs are all about the Charging Speed and Charging possibilities to produce power while on the move.

chadwicksavage

Adventurer
Doing the Maths and comparing different models and sizes, I have worked out that any of the 500 to 1000Wh are the better way to go, WHY??, well mainly because the much larger versions can't be Charged by a 12v Cigar outlet, All the big models list that they can be charged Only Charged via 300 to 600watts of Solar or via a Wall Socket/AC, Where as most models under 1000Wh can be charged via AC / Solar /and the Cigar Socket, So if a person needs more power then they are better off buying Two 500Wh or two 1000Wh models.

The jackery notes the 1500 can be charged by a 12v outlet it appears. But I do like the idea of two so they're even more portable if I only need to power some stuff down at the river or something.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
The jackery notes the 1500 can be charged by a 12v outlet it appears. But I do like the idea of two so they're even more portable if I only need to power some stuff down at the river or something.
Thats cool if they can,

I am running 2 Dometic PLB-40's they claim you should use only 80% of the power and at that rate they are good for over 2000 cycles so if you only take them down to 50% you should get over 8000 cycles out of them,

Another good reason to use Two is because when one is low you can switch it out and use the other while you put it one charge PLUS if one does fail you Now have a backup, and they Charge at over 17% per hour so they are pretty quick to come back to full, (y)

67cj5

Man On a Mission
They mention it only takes 13 hours !
I expect thats due to the low current available thru typical 12V car receptacle.
What brings up possibility of using a 48V boost converter in your car to charge Jackery thru its mains or solar input in a more reasonable time.
Or use an inverter in your car to provide 120VAC for mains charging.
I also bought 2 X 120w foldout panels so I can keep them charged up when parked so they only have to power the fridge during the Dark hours which normally takes 45 minutes to an hour to bring back to full when parked or via the ciger socket whilst driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz