Battery operated impact driver vs. pneumatic

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
Electric impact has come a long way. I've got a Ridgid unit that I really enjoy, makes wrenching super fast and nearly effortless.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I think air operated trail tools are over rated and were more of a "gee whiz" thing, back when OBA itself was a gee whiz thing, than a practical tool. Most air tools chew through cfm faster than any practical compressor you're likely to cart around, and the same with co2 sourced air. Any significant work will chill a 10# tank to the bone in nothing flat. I've used both methods and the electric tool is by far the better option. IMO of course.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Electric tools are fine for the little stuff and all I used for the Toyota's and Ford,s. but since the Freightliners come setup with engine driven compressors and lug nuts torqued to 450 - 500 ft lbs I carry a high dollar IR 1/2" rattle gun. The Dewalts etc do not go anywhere near breaking these lug nuts free.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
The small 2cfm compressor I've got won't run an impact continuously. But something in that size range is enough. With the built in 3.5 gallon tank, it's good for a 4 - 5 second burst before performance starts to drop (plenty to pull 5 lug nuts or do most other jobs). And it recharges pretty quickly. I've also run it with an additional 7 gallon tank hooked up to it while working on the Jeep outside and with that setup, I've never needed to run it for long enough to drop the tanks below 90 psi.

In my case, anywhere I'm going that I'm going to want the impact, I'm going to have a compressor with me for tire pressure adjustments anyway. And I like having the 120v compressor, as it's got enough kick to have a chance at re-seating a tire after a de-bead. A typical small OBA setup with a very small or nonexistent tank would be useless for that.

MOguy

Explorer
The small 2cfm compressor I've got won't run an impact continuously. But something in that size range is enough. With the built in 3.5 gallon tank, it's good for a 4 - 5 second burst before performance starts to drop (plenty to pull 5 lug nuts or do most other jobs). And it recharges pretty quickly. I've also run it with an additional 7 gallon tank hooked up to it while working on the Jeep outside and with that setup, I've never needed to run it for long enough to drop the tanks below 90 psi.

In my case, anywhere I'm going that I'm going to want the impact, I'm going to have a compressor with me for tire pressure adjustments anyway. And I like having the 120v compressor, as it's got enough kick to have a chance at re-seating a tire after a de-bead. A typical small OBA setup with a very small or nonexistent tank would be useless for that.

If it works for you that's fine. At this point it does seem that unless you have already invested in and have an "adequate" air system I just think for the space taken up in the vehicle and dollars spent you are better with battery at this point. I would still want some sort of on board air for the tires.

bhguy

Observer
I have a couple of the highest output Milwaukee 18v impacts , i make my living as an industrial service engineer with them. Any fastener on a vehicle that you would fix on the trail....no issue. Any large diameter fastner a pneumatic impact will always win . I did run a 1/2 drive electric impact off of the iverter built in to my 16 4 runner...super short bursts it worked...i mean short

TwinStick

Explorer
I have the 18v Ridgid elec impact. I bought it only because they said if i was not completely satisfied, I could return it for a full refund. I did not expect much. It took the lug nuts off my Power Wagon with no problem. They were torqued to 135 lb ft. I love it. It does NOT compare to the high torque professional ones. But I already had many ridgid 18v tools & batteries & chargers. Its been about 3 years now & has rotated tires, changed tires from summer to winter, on 4 vehicles every year, among many other jobs.

MOguy

Explorer
I've replaced hub assemblies on the trail with my IR, made short work of that 35mm nut.

I had to take of the axle nut on a 3/4 Ford and my Dewalt got it done with no problem. IR is a better tool but there are more and more lessor expensive options.

MOguy

Explorer
I have a couple of the highest output Milwaukee 18v impacts , i make my living as an industrial service engineer with them. Any fastener on a vehicle that you would fix on the trail....no issue. Any large diameter fastner a pneumatic impact will always win . I did run a 1/2 drive electric impact off of the iverter built in to my 16 4 runner...super short bursts it worked...i mean short

If you have an adequate air supply. I bet very few people offroading or overlanding have an adequate on board air to run a decent size impact wrench.

Last edited:

comptiger5000

Adventurer
You don't need 5+ CFM to run an impact unless you're planning on hammering away for minutes on end without ever stopping. 2 - 3 SCFM from the compressor is typically plenty as long as you've got a few gallons of tank. That won't keep up with constant use, but you'll usually be stopping for at least a few seconds before you've pulled the tank below 90 psi anyway unless the tank is tiny.

MOguy

Explorer
You don't need 5+ CFM to run an impact unless you're planning on hammering away for minutes on end without ever stopping. 2 - 3 SCFM from the compressor is typically plenty as long as you've got a few gallons of tank. That won't keep up with constant use, but you'll usually be stopping for at least a few seconds before you've pulled the tank below 90 psi anyway unless the tank is tiny.

I can get 8 lugs off my one ton with my battery operated impact without stopping even with my home 15 gallon home compressor I have to wait. Unless you have a very good air source a good battery operated impact and a couple batteries will keep up. If you have a good air source (which is doubtful for onboard air) you not keeping up with a good battery impact wrench.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles