Battery mounted in the cargo area of an SUV?

madmax718

Explorer
I wouldnt worry about it, but I wouldn't use a metal battery box either. I'd use a plastic one. we used to use these to relocate batteries for mustangs.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Have you thought about mounting the battery under the hood? That way it can be charged off the vehicle and just run wires to the rear of the vehicle and make a small power center.

The solar idea is nice but not very efficient.

mapper

Explorer
my 2005 Volvo has the battery under the rear deck with a vent tube....many euro cars do this. My Passat, same as Audi A4, A6 have the battery located in close proximity to the cabin air intake also a battery with a vent tube.

Token

Explorer
Did this in my H3 a few years back... Worked pretty dang well.. 26AH.. Had a AGM I was going to put in there instead and never did.. It was back there to basically give a little extra boost to the compressor and anything else I'd need 12v for.. Generally kept the circuit breaker (shown) off and turned it on when running the compressor or for about 30 miles a month just to charge it back up a touch.. In a pinch I was able to use the battery to boost the truck off when the main battery failed.. I think that was 0 gauge wire running to the main battery.. Had a 120amp fuse under the hood as well..

Caught some flack about the mounting.. Used Industrial Velcro that covered the entire bottom of the battery.. I often wondered how well it would REALLY hold the battery in place.. Up until I was stripping the truck down and I had to pry it out with a crow bar..

IMG_1728.JPG

Been wanting to put it in the Jeep I have now, already have the cable ran to the back of the Jeep for a compressor, just need to find a good spot to put the battery and there really isn't anywhere that was a handy to put it as the H3..

Have two 33AH batteries in my trailer to power lights and anything else that suits my fancy.. Still need to get the 7 pin plug wired on the Jeep to keep those charged.. Same principal.. Circuit breaker that gets turned on and off as I feel the need to charge a bit.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
If it was a matter of needing to start my vehicle and not be stranded, I'd build a margin of error into my calculations!

I always assume a 10-15% capacity loss on batteries (if it says 100 AH, I figure 85-90). After a number of cycles, they degrade, and you aren't going to be getting what the label says.

Same with power consumption of devices...I usually compensate here by calculating 10-20% more run time than I'll actually plan to use. If I think I'm gonna run something for 8 hours a day, I plan for 10 hours.

That way, if something does happen, I know I've got something in reserve. :victory:

nosnerd

wanna be tourist
i will being doing next weekend in my 96 Burb...i removed spare from inside..now will remove plastic brackets..i will also be installing a 2000 watt inverter back there...

found a 5 dollar battery box at fleam market!..going to parts store for cable.i have a trick inline fuse holder from my car audio days...should work out fine.:ylsmoke:

i will being doing next weekend in my 96 Burb...i removed spare from inside..now will remove plastic brackets..i will also be installing a 2000 watt inverter back there...

found a 5 dollar battery box at fleam market!..going to parts store for cable.i have a trick inline fuse holder from my car audio days...should work out fine.:ylsmoke:

Post some pictures if you can. I've been down because of surgery and have not had a chance to do anything to mine yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94