Battery Maintenance/Storage

Thanks for clarifying that they are wired in series.

The solar manufacturer is called Zamp and it does have a controller on the back of one of the panels. It has two panels that folds up for storage when not in use. PXL_20210509_175435710.jpgPXL_20210509_175455543.jpg

Any thoughts on this controller? Should I just set up the large panels and leave them hooked up? Would that work to keep the batteries topped off without overcharging? I guess leaving them out in the rain, snow etc isn't bad for them? It's stored about 30 minutes away so it's not convenient to set it up for a day every couple of weeks.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Thanks for clarifying that they are wired in series.

The solar manufacturer is called Zamp and it does have a controller on the back of one of the panels. It has two panels that folds up for storage when not in use. View attachment 659521View attachment 659522

Any thoughts on this controller? Should I just set up the large panels and leave them hooked up? Would that work to keep the batteries topped off without overcharging? I guess leaving them out in the rain, snow etc isn't bad for them? It's stored about 30 minutes away so it's not convenient to set it up for a day every couple of weeks.
It is a 45w panel, That will maintain your batteries But I would replace it with either a 100/120 or even better a 150w panel then you would have more power for those cloudy days,

If your charge controller can handle 10A then use it with a bigger panel is what I would do.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Use what you have - it's paid for.

The only trick is to be sure that at least one of your charge sources, solar or shore, can give you a proper absorb stage, at least 30 minutes per 100Ah of battery, at least once a week.

That said, what you already have should be more than capable of doing maintenance/trickle charging.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Use what you have - it's paid for.

The only trick is to be sure that at least one of your charge sources, solar or shore, can give you a proper absorb stage, at least 30 minutes per 100Ah of battery, at least once a week.

That said, what you already have should be more than capable of doing maintenance/trickle charging.
What he has there could run his Fridge or it could maintain his Batteries But It Won't Do Both,

Due to the size of his batteries a 100w solar panel is the bare minimum he would need if he want to charge them and Run a Fridge, Noting that because they are lead Acid he Needs something in the region of a 150w panel because of the limited hours of sunlight Vs the Slow charge rate of Lead Acid Batteries.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
OK, we're splitting infinities! ;)

The original question was whether he needed to buy something for maintenance.

Now, If you want to discuss a serious solar rig ... After a basic power audit:https://cookfb.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/plan-electrical-system.pdf

I would use these tools of thumb:

-- 100w of solar per 100Ah of battery. In this case, 225Ah.
-- 225Ah of FLA gives 100Ah usable, 150Ah in a pinch.

I have no idea how much you can mount on a tear drop. I might mount as much as I could and then use the portable panels as extras, given the slow charge rate of FLA.

I suspect that we would come out at about the same place.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
OK, we're splitting infinities! ;)

The original question was whether he needed to buy something for maintenance.

Now, If you want to discuss a serious solar rig ... After a basic power audit:https://cookfb.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/plan-electrical-system.pdf

I would use these tools of thumb:

-- 100w of solar per 100Ah of battery. In this case, 225Ah.
-- 225Ah of FLA gives 100Ah usable, 150Ah in a pinch.

I have no idea how much you can mount on a tear drop. I might mount as much as I could and then use the portable panels as extras, given the slow charge rate of FLA.

I suspect that we would come out at about the same place.
I started off with a similar problem,, with an excess of Batteries and then Panels, and the best way out was to just get one large panel and call it done,

Then I found the lack of sunlight hours caused more problems, So now for less power demands I am now using Lithium packs because they charge within a couple of hours or So,

Seeing as he can mount a panel on his Trailer a 150w would be ideal to do what he needs.

Thank you. So there are two panels in the kit so I think it's 90w total.

I wont have it near a power source to charge routinely so it's either solar or my trucks alternator. Is it bad to use the truck alternator? I actually have dual alternators in my truck for my winch but only one battery. Someone mentioned earlier that I should disconnect the truck power (not sure how that works).

I don't want to drill into the roof but would be open to adhesive if it won't blow off when driving. I also have a roof rack that I use sometime and a fan that I cant cover so not sure permanent mounting a panel is practical.

I guess my truck can keep the fridge running while driving so maybe I'm overthinking it and should just get an extra 100-150w of portable and call it done.

So then I guess the question is how do I run extra panels through this controller or should I get another controller that I can mount next to the batteries and run everything through.

Thanks again for all the knowledge!

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Thank you. So there are two panels in the kit so I think it's 90w total.

I wont have it near a power source to charge routinely so it's either solar or my trucks alternator. Is it bad to use the truck alternator? I actually have dual alternators in my truck for my winch but only one battery. Someone mentioned earlier that I should disconnect the truck power (not sure how that works). Well if you want to keep using the Truck Power when Driving then leave it working as it is, So you don't have to disconnect it.

I don't want to drill into the roof but would be open to adhesive if it won't blow off when driving. I also have a roof rack that I use sometime and a fan that I cant cover so not sure permanent mounting a panel is practical. The easy option is to buy a solid 150w+ Panel and a Charge controller and take a pair of leads from the controller with Croc clips on them and Hook it up to the battery when you are parked up at your Site and while you are on the move store the panel in the Trailer then you don't have to mess with the trucks wiring and you don't have to go drilling holes in the roof of the Trailer.

I guess my truck can keep the fridge running while driving so maybe I'm overthinking it and should just get an extra 100-150w of portable and call it done. Yep just buy a 150w+ 12v Panels and a Victrol Smart Solar Controller and you will be Golden.

So then I guess the question is how do I run extra panels through this controller or should I get another controller that I can mount next to the batteries and run everything through. Don't use that panel/Controller keep it as a backup and get your self a 150w or Bigger Solar Panel then you will have enough power not only to charge your 2 Batteries but also run a few added extra's,

If you can afford to buy what I said then go for it, I made the mistake of Growing my setup as I went and I ended up with loads of stuff
I don't use and wasted $$$ of Dollars, Buying the Items I said will save you all that anguish.

Thanks again for all the knowledge!

Click and expand your Text I Quoted.

Hope that helps.

john61ct

Adventurer
Even a 25W system is enough for Float maintenance.

For boondocking cycling, the most efficient ratio is one panel per Victron MPPT SC

ideally getting a good match in power between a higher-voltage panel and the maximum for tge SC model.

So a 75/15 unit will be well matched with up to a 250W for a 12V system, Voc rating at say 40+

Could go to 280 or even 300W if you got a crazy good deal, say a local installer clearing leftovers panels.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Thank you very much!
Ya welcome,

When I bought my Victron Smart Controller I made up leads so I could add more panels and also charge other things that had differant plugs and sockets on them,

I fitted a short lead on the Input side with a 50A Grey Anderson Plug on it and I did the Same on the Output Side so I can mix and Match what ever I wish, Also with proper Hard Solar Panels you can connect them to eachother and that Victron Smart controller can handle 6 X 150w Solar Panels and if you put them in 2 Banks of 3 that will give you around 15-28A @450w @12v which is enough to run a very large RV or a Cabin, that's why the Victron Smart Solar 100/20 is a great Starting point.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior