Battery Jumper cable recommendations?

jschmidt

Adventurer
I have seen several friends use those jump packs...
My only question is;
...Will they still work after being ignored and bouncing around unused in a trunk for 8 years. I usually see a minimum of 8 years of life from a (often used) starting battery and replace them before a non-start issue; batteries will usually tell an aware person that they are getting weak.
...jumper cables work when needed (usually to help others, including field welding)... pack and ignore.

Enjoy!

No. One of mine loses 10% every six months, one loses 20%. You should charge them twice a year, but you could probably get away with once. For an expedition rig, you could just plug it into a 12v source (wired or using the included car charger) for constant charge. That way eight years would be easy.

Oh, and you shouldn't let stuff bounce around in your trunk. And jump boxes work when you're alone, which seems like a better feature than "emergency welding." :)

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
No. One of mine loses 10% every six months, one loses 20%. You should charge them twice a year, but you could probably get away with once. For an expedition rig, you could just plug it into a 12v source (wired or using the included car charger) for constant charge. That way eight years would be easy.

Oh, and you shouldn't let stuff bounce around in your trunk. And jump boxes work when you're alone, which seems like a better feature than "emergency welding." :)

The only trunk that I have is an antique steamer (in storage since the early 1900s)... the last time that I had a vehicle with a trunk was at least 20 years ago...

...I was referring to what others do to set themselves up to fail; If they would maintain their vehicle (and/or perhaps use a bit of common sense) they would rarely, if ever, need a jumpstart but since many don't, the magic box will likely be dead when they do need it (but even a chinese jumper cable set would probably work).

If a jumpstart, ever is needed (crosses fingers, hoping not); I will fix my vehicle or my technique.
For expedition and camping use many of us carry an auxiliary deep discharge battery, which has the (thus far unused, in my case) potential to start a vehicle, as well as power the campsite.

Field welding is a legitimate repair technique ('though, apparently a bit extreme for many)... feel free to price an off road towing service.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
I went with some top of the line jumper cables from Polar Wire. Pricey, but I wanted the very best components and was willing to pay for it.

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
Love the Nappa battery cables with the quick connect blue plugs.

A definite +1 on this! I've now had a plug, in the grill, of two vehicles and there's not much nicer than plugging your jumper cables (or winch) in to the plug and taking care of business. No opening the hood, even. It will spoil you and you'll almost look for people to jump start...

jschmidt

Adventurer
The only trunk that I have is an antique steamer (in storage since the early 1900s)... the last time that I had a vehicle with a trunk was at least 20 years ago...

...I was referring to what others do to set themselves up to fail; If they would maintain their vehicle (and/or perhaps use a bit of common sense) they would rarely, if ever, need a jumpstart but since many don't, the magic box will likely be dead when they do need it (but even a chinese jumper cable set would probably work).

If a jumpstart, ever is needed (crosses fingers, hoping not); I will fix my vehicle or my technique.
For expedition and camping use many of us carry an auxiliary deep discharge battery, which has the (thus far unused, in my case) potential to start a vehicle, as well as power the campsite.

Field welding is a legitimate repair technique ('though, apparently a bit extreme for many)... feel free to price an off road towing service.

Enjoy!

I'm pretty sure all these dumbasses you know of would be much safer using a jump box. And in my view you ought to reconsider your technique if you find yourself field welding with jumper cables. That seems like a bigger maintenance failure than a dead battery.

But your concern for the littie guy is laudable.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
30 years of driving with the $12 cables from K-mart when I first got my license. They have never let me down. There really isn't much to go wrong with jumper cables. Keep them in a dry area, don't pile stuff on top of them.

Reactions: WVI

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
...trying really hard not to get in a P**g contest but it sounds like a bit of experience in the truly wild places would benefit some; when there is no cell service and no chance of calling/getting help people are left on their own resources...BTW I and many friends are certified welders and a well done battery weld is as good as a weld from any other stick welder (a spool gun can also work)...
A torn leaf spring mounting/U-bolt plate is the only failure that I have personally experienced that needed field welding (but more that a few times welding has saved the trip for friends and strangers). Can't be certain that it was a factory defect but it certainly was not a maintenance issue (abuse was a likely contributor since it happened on one of the less easy trails in Moab, haven't seen a repeat though).

...Just a thought; is no one concerned about the risk of fire from lithium jump box batteries (especially when rapidly discharged, like those toys that were burning down houses a year ago) given that many/most/(all?) jump boxes are chinese and undoubtedly use their standard (low, IMO) quality construction standards/techniques?

When I replace the lead acid deep discharge battery with lithium (after the Tesla/Panasonic giga-factory gets rolling and the prices come down) I am going to have to do a hard think on charging safety procedures (better prevention than reaction, IMO).

...To be fair fires and battery explosions are not unknown when using jumper cables to start vehicles.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Wirebrush

Observer
My concern with the lithium battery packs is that lithium batteries don't hold up to very cold temps which is usually when a jump is needed. I've had low temps destroy lithiym batteries in cell phones and power tools too many times to want to rely on them for emergency use when stored outdoors around here.

outback97

Adventurer
I carry both a set of jumper cables and a small lithium jump battery that I charge before a trip. Nice to have both options.

As for welding, I don't know the first thing about it, but I got to see a Readywelder in action recently. Very cool and a valuable tool... saved the day for a Jeep with a broken suspension.

jschmidt

Adventurer
...trying really hard not to get in a P**g contest but it sounds like a bit of experience in the truly wild places would benefit some; when there is no cell service and no chance of calling/getting help people are left on their own resources...BTW I and many friends are certified welders and a well done battery weld is as good as a weld from any other stick welder (a spool gun can also work)...
A torn leaf spring mounting/U-bolt plate is the only failure that I have personally experienced that needed field welding (but more that a few times welding has saved the trip for friends and strangers). Can't be certain that it was a factory defect but it certainly was not a maintenance issue (abuse was a likely contributor since it happened on one of the less easy trails in Moab, haven't seen a repeat though).

...Just a thought; is no one concerned about the risk of fire from lithium jump box batteries (especially when rapidly discharged, like those toys that were burning down houses a year ago) given that many/most/(all?) jump boxes are chinese and undoubtedly use their standard (low, IMO) quality construction standards/techniques?

When I replace the lead acid deep discharge battery with lithium (after the Tesla/Panasonic giga-factory gets rolling and the prices come down) I am going to have to do a hard think on charging safety procedures (better prevention than reaction, IMO).

...To be fair fires and battery explosions are not unknown when using jumper cables to start vehicles.

Enjoy!

I'm sorry pal, I was just having some fun at your expense because you come off as a know-it-all. Perhaps I went overboard. But well (my apologies) you do.

jschmidt

Adventurer
My concern with the lithium battery packs is that lithium batteries don't hold up to very cold temps which is usually when a jump is needed. I've had low temps destroy lithiym batteries in cell phones and power tools too many times to want to rely on them for emergency use when stored outdoors around here.

Actually, the power is not gone. If you turn the built in flashlight on for a minute, you'll warm the battery and get full power. I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but it is correct. You need to do this with lithium replacement car batteries too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles