Batteries for portable pack

OverlandKyle

Adventurer
Hello everyone!

I have a National Luna DC25 portable power pack with the DC-DC charger on the way next week which will eventually be connected to solar for my 12v fridge which I am still doing research on..

My question here is about batteries….I’ve found plenty of group 31 batteries that are AGM that are between 100-105 AH but since this power pack has the ability to run lithium/Lifepo4 batteries, I thought it would be prudent to look into these too as I have no experience or knowledge with them… what’s the biggest AH battery that is group 31 sized as that’s what fits in this box… I see a lot of 200AH batteries which on paper, sounds great but I am unsure if physically, they’ll fit.

any help is appreciated

4000lbsOfGoat

Battle Born 100ah LiFePO4s are almost exactly the same size as a group 31.

And keep in mind that a 100ah lead acid battery is only about 50 *usable* amp hours. A 100ah LiFePO4 is 100 usable amp hours because you can run them all the down without harming them.

Where and when you will be traveling is also a consideration as lithium batteries don't like to charge when cold (below 43 degrees F I think it is...). If you'll need to charge in colder temps then you'll need a heating solution for lithium.

Reactions: plh

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
what’s the biggest AH battery that is group 31 sized as that’s what fits in this box… I see a lot of 200AH batteries which on paper, sounds great but I am unsure if physically, they’ll fit.

Battery "Group" numbers are, amongst other things, a classification of dimensions. Anything tagged as "Group 31" should fit into the volume defined for Group 31 batteries. (This also specifies the arrangement/placement of the battery terminals.)

This is how your local Auto parts store knows which battery fits a given car - the database says "Car X takes battery of Group 27" or whatever, then they have an inventory of all the Group 27 compatible batteries.

Reactions: plh

OverlandKyle

Adventurer
Battery "Group" numbers are, amongst other things, a classification of dimensions. Anything tagged as "Group 31" should fit into the volume defined for Group 31 batteries. (This also specifies the arrangement/placement of the battery terminals.)

This is how your local Auto parts store knows which battery fits a given car - the database says "Car X takes battery of Group 27" or whatever, then they have an inventory of all the Group 27 compatible batteries.

Thank you That’s what I figured… my question was more of what’s the most AH possible in a group 31 sized lithium battery available out there? I know it isn’t cheap but I’m also not looking to spend thousands upon thousands for one battery

OverlandKyle

Adventurer
In
Battle Born 100ah LiFePO4s are almost exactly the same size as a group 31.

And keep in mind that a 100ah lead acid battery is only about 50 *usable* amp hours. A 100ah LiFePO4 is 100 usable amp hours because you can run them all the down without harming them.

Where and when you will be traveling is also a consideration as lithium batteries don't like to charge when cold (below 43 degrees F I think it is...). If you'll need to charge in colder temps then you'll need a heating solution for lithium.

ooh I didn’t think about the cold as the battery box will be riding in the back of the pick up box and I am in the northeast whixh does see cold weather

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
my question was more of what’s the most AH possible in a group 31 sized lithium battery available out there? I know it isn’t cheap but I’m also not looking to spend thousands upon thousands for one battery
Generally, the highest charge density is going to be the most expensive solution.

If you want MAX AH, you're going to pay. Sounds like more realistically you're interested in a good AH/dollar ratio.

OverlandKyle

Adventurer
Antigravity batteries now offer a deep cycle that, according to them, is an exact fit for group 31 dimensions.https://antigravitybatteries.com/productline/energy-storage/

ooh intriguing…. Thank you!

a part of me wants to find an advanced AGM with a really good warranty just because I’ll be in colder climates often and it’ll be half the price of all h to e lithium ones even with less usable AH which I think I can mitigate somewhat with the 200 watt solar system and the dc dc charger

Mia this reasonable?

plh

Explorer
Grab a Group 31 Trojan or Deka AGM (Duracell). Great life. probably 100aH, The Duracell from Batteries Plus have a 4 year replacement warranty. That is going to be about it for warranty length on batteries. Like others have said - for best life any lead acid battery only likes a discharge frequently to 50%.

ThePartyWagon

Hey Kyle,

This is Morgan at Equipt, I believe you were emailing me yesterday about your solar integration

I plan on running the 115AH Fullriver DC Series group 31, the DC115-12 I believe. If I go with something more affordable, we were recommended on good authority, the O'Reilly's Super Start Heavy Duty/Fleet Group 31 Deep Cycle.

For Lithium, we're running a Lion Energy Group 24 105AH in our 60 Series with the DC25 Power Pack, smaller and lighter than most Group 31s with equivalent amp hours. In cold climates, I'd run the heated Battleborn Group 31.

Get a 10a battery charge to fully charge the battery when the vehicle is not in use.

This is my $.02.

ripperj

Explorer
Full River makes a nice product, I had them in my Alaskan, but man did they get expensive in the last couple years (compared to other similar brands)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior