Bathroom or Storage?

Trailboss

Senior Curmudgeon
The modern "Thunder Mug" is a 5-gal Homer bucket with a toilet seat/cover, trash bag and kitty litter. I use an empty 2lb Walmart dry roasted peanut container for my night drains. We have a travel trailer and my wife would rather use the bucket if needed during the night than have to deal with draining the black water tank and cleaning the RV toilet. During the day, we use public facilities. We do use the shower and fill up the grey water tank, but that can be emptied in our pasture when we return home.

When staying with my grandmother in the '50's and '60's, one of my chores was emptying the enamelware thunder mugs into the outhouse every morning. That was not as bad as having to re-shingle the 2-seater outhouse in August in NC. Thankfully, in 1966, we dug, formed up and poured a concrete septic tank for her.

woolsocks

Man, i'd work out a bathroom if at all possible. I think you'll thank me later. I've had rigs with and without and I'm currently building a smallish pop top van for the two of us now that kids are older that has only a porta potty and an outdoor shower, BUT, we've been traveling all 50 states since our kids were born and we know our limitations and desires. We like to hit a motel, truck stop or the like for a shower every few days if the weather isn't perfect and don't worry about the cost.

There are a million ways to do it and only one absolute truth. Most women prefer a proper bathroom.

Currently we just use tents and camp out of the Subaru Outback. I go between building out a full expedition box truck or going with a lighter and smaller vehicle like a van and hitting up more hotels and airbnbs on occasion as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woolsocks

I, we never want an onboard toilet. A dedicated shower and abolutions sink sure but we have no problem finding toilets or outhouses cruising.

A composting toilet has possibilities, but never a flush toilet.

We both feel if it nis smaller than 30" by 60" we'd rather use "tourist" facilities.

The design I have is 24” x 30”. My shower at home measures 30” x 30” so it’s somewhat comparable.

woolsocks

Seems like the consensus is the build the bathroom! I’m surprised, but you’ve convinced me of the utility of using the bathroom as storage and increasing my wife’s enjoyment on the road as well.

rruff

Explorer
There are no B&Bs or camp toilets where we go so the option is to dig a hole.

Digging a hole is by far my preferred method. Had three different women who traveled with me for extended periods and none complained about that. Sunny morning, nice view? Hard to beat...

Both genders can pee in a bottle, and there is seat and bag arrangement for emergency pooping. Contingencies well covered, IMO.

burleyman

^^^^^^that.

Post hole diggers. Depending on soil, up to two feet deep hole with vertical sides. A two-footer can last a few days with just a little soil on each use. No animal digging later through a wide, shallow, loose soil, pitiful dinky shovel attempt. Folding camp toilet seat. There's something about the smell of fresh soil that stimulates the process.

Totally exposed for a bonafide outdoor experience, a lap blanket for some coverage, inside a shower tent, or as a friend suggested, a bag over the head for anonymity.

Same for a pump up sprayer shower. Add naked, or swim attire.

Over fifty years ago, some fellow basic trainees didn't poop for over a week due to no privacy commodes. Live and learn.

rruff

Explorer
Post hole diggers.

In a few minutes, a hole big enough for the whole tribe! ? :eek:

iu

burleyman

Oh yeah. Some places I've been, one hole for #1 and 2, then another hole for shower water. Possible splashback to feel right at home. Where I live, with no water or sewer, you can build a house with well and septic system on a small lot.

We are just getting to know our new Conqueror UEV-14 with shower/toilet, or as my neighbor calls it, the shoilet :p. We bought it 4 years before our projected retirement. Before that we had an Aliner with a pull-out porta-potty I added. With just two nights under our belt, the shoilet seems like a lot of wasted space but until it doesn't. We have yet to use it as a mud room or storage when not in use, but I know that's coming and it's nice to know it's there. Because the UEV-14 has the exact layout we wanted in a 20' off-road trailer, the space used by the shoilet doesn't seem like a big deal, so far.

Wm Hill

We just bought a new Braxton Creek Bushwhacker Plus 15 DS. We opted for the floor plan with a dry shower/toilet. The salesman said some folks do the "wet shower" or shoilet to gain a little space. The toilet itself was a must for my wife. I'm in the design stage of a small square drop build and that will be outdoor facilities only.

1679248269617.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles