Bathing Question

ChasingOurTrunks

That looks like a decent unit! I'm sure it will serve you well. One thing I found super handy is using those Gardena quick-disconnects; my whole system uses them and they are robust and leakproof, and make setting up and stowage a breeze. They are a bit more speedy than traditional options, but to me worth the extra cost. Plus, they are pretty commonly available in Canada so in the event of needing a replacement, 95% of hardware stores even in small towns have what I need (and I've never needed it yet!)

dcg141

Adventurer
I have a much modified Zodi. I ditched the whole D cell setup and bought a 12 volt marine bilge pump and have quick connects for my battery in the vehicle or my trailer and I also have a 12 motorcycle lithium in the box. I also have water hose quick connects and it helps it pack easier. Had this for about 6 or 7 years now and every mod came from a trip where I thought that would be better if. The burner still works great and I have used it countless times.

PCO6

Adventurer
That looks like a decent unit! I'm sure it will serve you well. One thing I found super handy is using those Gardena quick-disconnects; my whole system uses them and they are robust and leakproof, and make setting up and stowage a breeze. They are a bit more speedy than traditional options, but to me worth the extra cost. Plus, they are pretty commonly available in Canada so in the event of needing a replacement, 95% of hardware stores even in small towns have what I need (and I've never needed it yet!)

I've used Gardenia products and have always found them to be good. The Eccotemp actually came with one for the incoming water line but I opted for brass quick connects (Yardworks from Canadian Tire). If the Gardenia fittings ever failed I never would have heard the end of it from my Brother, a Plumber. Gardenia fittings would have been just as good, maybe better.

My Shurflo pump comes out quickly for any maintenance and winter storage. I screwed it to a kitchen cutting board I downsized to about 12" x 12" and it sits on a few layers of the type of rubber mat you use with a router for wood working. It's not screwed to anything but it does not move around or vibrate. With the 2 water line disconnects and one for the 12V line it comes out or goes in quickly.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the ecotemp at high altitude? We use our coleman propane stove at 10-11k and it seems to work fine, but wondering if heating water is a different... pretty easy to end up above 10k, camping in colorado!

Dr Gil

Has anyone tried the ecotemp at high altitude? We use our coleman propane stove at 10-11k and it seems to work fine, but wondering if heating water is a different... pretty easy to end up above 10k, camping in colorado!

I used it at 9000+ feet in elevation and it failed to work because of the low oxygen.
I mostly camp at those elevations so I got rid of the Ecotemp and went back to the Zodi extreme

Last edited:

billiebob

not sure why, never cared to remember why, but boiling water when mountaineering over 10K', white gas does it in half the time yet at sea level the difference between propane and white gas is not measurable.

But mountain climbing, sleeping in mountaineering huts, showers were not a consideration. We just wanted to boil water for tea and not carry 500 butane canisters to do it.

Mdmeltdown

Make one of these.

1614571628050.png

I think the original build is on this forum. The video link is my setup for the kitchen. Still tinkering with a quick disconnect for the hose. That big handle is an issue if it gets knocked over. Did it, and broke the whole handle off. Had to buy a whole new sprayer to get the pump.

Other than that, it runs on ordinary unleaded elbow grease. No power or secondary compressor needed. I've taken a shower with it many times and I don't see how having to re-pump it up with a compressor while you are naked is practical. Bending over and pumping the handle inside one of those shower tents is pretty easy.

Someone really needs to manufacture one of these specifically for those cans. They would be the "Partner Steel" of camping showers

old_CWO

Reliance markets a bug sprayer type camp shower already set up with nozzle and a black neoprene cover. I think I paid $30 for one at Sportsman's Warehouse a few years ago. After pricing the parts to build something myself, it ended up being a pretty good deal to just buy it already done. Believe it or not, the Walmart Ozark Trail 2 room instant up shower tent is great too. Those two low buck pieces of kit have been awesome for me - I really like having a quick shower every day while camping and they fit the bill without being too complicated. The shower sprayer just stays in the sun and I boil some water to top it off. It's every bit as warm as a home shower.

Mdmeltdown

I agree a garden spray setup is the way to go. I just wish someone would make a product that just wasn't a regurgitated commercial roundup spray bottle with a new label and charge a premium.
A 5 gallon square/rectangle Jerry can type with a spigot could double as a sink, shower, and water dispenser. For my needs, it would mount better....and just look better to me.

RAFoutdoors

Retired Explorer
We use two methods. First are the bathing wipes. There are many on the market. Different size, with aloe, without aloe etc. we bath using these daily.
Second method is a Road Shower II (now owned by Yakima). It is a passive solar shower that holds 5 gallons of water. New versions hold up to 10 gallons. It heats up to about 95* and if we need the water hotter, we just boil water on the camp stove and add it to the Road Shower II. Ours sits on the roof rack so it takes no space in the trailer or vehicle. It can be pressurized with a small bike pump (I use CO2 power inflator). So it doesn’t take away any valuable storage space. And because it’s passive, there’s nothing that can really not work when needed.

RAFoutdoors

Retired Explorer
There is also the Geyser System shower system. Uses one gallon of water at a time. One version has a heater and one does not. They have gotten pretty good reviews. I have no experience with them. They are available at REI.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Make one of these.

1614571628050.png

I think the original build is on this forum.

Got a source for that sprayer head?

In my experience, that's half the battle. Most of the "sink" style sprayers assume a valve at the faucet body, and most of the "hand sprayer" styles only have a momentary valve that you have to hold to keep water flowing.

I solved this problem by mating in inline swing valve with a "pull out" sprayer head. It works, but the ergonomics are "just ok":
sprayer.jpg

I'd love to find a good quality spray wand that had an on/off valve built into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles