Bathing Question

dbhost

Hey guys! First time forum member here. Thank you for having me as a member of this group! I have a question regarding bathing. What do you all use for bathing purposes in your overloading vehicle, camper or RV? I am interested in getting a Teardrop Trailer, but want a good showering system to bring a long with it. Space is a concern, so I do not want to have a large solar bag. It just takes up too much space in regards to bringing water with me. Any ideas or thoughts?

Given your requirements, I would say a washbasin, and a washcloth.

Check out Bob Wells with Cheap RV Living on Youtube, he has a good video on the subject.

old_CWO

Got a source for that sprayer head?

In my experience, that's half the battle. Most of the "sink" style sprayers assume a valve at the faucet body, and most of the "hand sprayer" styles only have a momentary valve that you have to hold to keep water flowing.

I solved this problem by mating in inline swing valve with a "pull out" sprayer head. It works, but the ergonomics are "just ok":
View attachment 645992

I'd love to find a good quality spray wand that had an on/off valve built into it.

When I broke my original spray head with the "momentary" button, I found a fan style garden spray nozzle with variable flow thumb control. Maybe looks goofy but actually works a lot nicer than the original.

1615139795500.png

rruff

Explorer
Space is a concern, so I do not want to have a large solar bag. It just takes up too much space in regards to bringing water with me. Any ideas or thoughts?

My first thought is that a 5 gal solar bag takes up hardly any space when it's empty... and when it's full it takes up as little space as any 5 gal container.... ? If you are camped where there is water you don't need to haul a full one around. I use ~2 gal per shower, but could do it with less if necessary.

I've never used anything but a solar shower if the weather is decent. If not, I heat water on the stove and use that.

pith helmet

Just upgraded to a 12v pump, using the same Swiss Army water bag we aware using as a gravity shower but needed more pressure so the wife can get her hair washed/rinsed easier. The 1 gpm pump is a little strong and will drain the 5 gal bladder quickly so I will get a .5 gpm when I find one.88C069B8-07A8-43C4-89D4-1AB51DB20175.jpeg,

Joe917

Explorer
We have a full shower with 750 liters of water capacity, probably not a teardrop option. One of the campgrounds in Baja had shower huts. The "shower" consisted of a bucket filled from a solar water heater and a plastic cup to pour the water over yourself. It was quite pleasant. You could heat the water anyway you like but a bucket and cup work just fine.

jreddy

I'm partial to no-rinse soap (like they use in space or for bedridden folks). Heat water, put it in a tiny collapsible wash tub, add a few squirts, and then sponge yourself clean. It takes very little water since you don't need to rinse. After a few days I'll spray myself off because I feel grimy, but it's enough to prevent any odors.

The "shower" consisted of a bucket filled from a solar water heater and a plastic cup to pour the water over yourself. It was quite pleasant. You could heat the water anyway you like but a bucket and cup work just fine.
Apparently half of Asia uses this method. I have tried it many times and it is surprisingly efficient and pleasant. And it does not require any high tech, heavy or complex plumbing, power and gadgetry. One usually has a bucket and a mug around anyway, and a pot to boil a few litres of water in.

jreddy

I bought some... and the smell is overbearing. Any recommendations?

Hmm. Are you sure you're not using too much? It's pretty concentrated stuff. I notice a very faint odor after, but only if i put my nose right on my skin, and it fades quickly. During, it just smells kinda like a mixture of soap and baby powder to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94