Baselining a '07 Jeep Liberty w/ 150,000 miles

Sisyphus

Adventurer
Hi all,

I'm a grad student living in Montana and had been looking for an LC or similar to get me to the trailhead in winter (and summer road trips) for quite awhile but have recently been offered my Brother-in-law's '07 Liberty w/ 150,000 for effectively $0 dollars, which is very nice of him.

I'm looking to baseline the vehicle for dependability purposes but am a little apprehensive as to how far to go in that regard. The Liberty has been maintained well by my BIL, but certainly not to the standards of a manufacturer's maintenance schedule, so I'm a little leery of putting quite a lot of money (for me) into a vehicle that is not particularly well known for it's reliability. The Liberty is running the original engine, transmission, diffs, and t-case. Only known issue is a front caliper that a mechanic suggested replacing soon (saw it while replacing all the rotors and pads). No known leaks. PNW vehicle since new, so no rust.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing:
- Engine, trans, t-case, brake, coolant, and diff flushes.
- New plugs, wires, and cap.
- replace front caliper

Is this just about right? too much? Too little, and if so, what should I add to the list?

I'm aware of electrical and heater core issues in these Liberty's, but not much else.

Thanks for thoughts in advance.

- M

Weeds

Adventurer
I would have it aligned and they will check all the steering linkage. Also check all u-joints including axels.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I thought 150k was when Chryslers were sent to the junkyard :LOL:

Kidding.... Full fluid service, ignition stuff, brakes, bushings, etc.... your on the right track.

Sisyphus

Adventurer
I thought 150k was when Chryslers were sent to the junkyard :LOL:

Kidding.... Full fluid service, ignition stuff, brakes, bushings, etc.... your on the right track.

Good one.... :LOL: Since I have no workspace for the fluid service, how much should I expect to pay (ball park) for a transmission, front and rear diff, t-case, coolant, and brake fluid drain and fill?

OBS460

The most common issues I've witnessed from the Libertys usually revolves around failed: window regulators, heater core/evaporator, and rocker arms popping off (3.7L V6, don't Rev it hard when cold).

I did have a customer bring one for me to routinely work on, and it had just over 400k miles so they certainly can run quite awhile.

I'd guesstimate the cost for flushes to be around $500 for parts and labor.

Sisyphus

Adventurer
The most common issues I've witnessed from the Libertys usually revolves around failed: window regulators, heater core/evaporator, and rocker arms popping off (3.7L V6, don't Rev it hard when cold).

I did have a customer bring one for me to routinely work on, and it had just over 400k miles so they certainly can run quite awhile.

I'd guesstimate the cost for flushes to be around $500 for parts and labor.

Thanks for the info. This Liberty has had a few new window regulators. In your experience is the heater core inevitable with Liberty's or may I have a chance of running this for awhile before it's needed?

OBS460

Thanks for the info. This Liberty has had a few new window regulators. In your experience is the heater core inevitable with Liberty's or may I have a chance of running this for awhile before it's needed?

I'd just run it until you need to change it. I believe a lot of failed cores stem from people not doing routine coolant flushes.

D

Deleted member 9101

I'd change the belts and hoses. Check the suspension for wear. I'd also run a can of Seafoam through the motor before changing the oil and plugs.

A heater core failure is easy to deal with in the field, you just loop the coolant line backto the motor and bypass the core. I wouldn't worry about that.

D

Deleted member 9101

Good one.... :LOL: Since I have no workspace for the fluid service, how much should I expect to pay (ball park) for a transmission, front and rear diff, t-case, coolant, and brake fluid drain and fill?

Your diffs, brakes, tranny, and transfer case are easy to do in a parking space if you have something large enough to catch the fluids.

ROKTAXI

Adventurer
I have an'05 Liberty CRD, so I'm no help as far as gas engine related questions. Being an AMSOIL dealer, I recommend their transmission fluid and differential lube HIGHLY. www.mavaloslubes.myamsoil.com (shameless plug)
Also recommend the LOST JEEPS FORUM for more specific answers to any questions you have. Basically information OVERLOAD!!

Sisyphus

Adventurer
I'd just run it until you need to change it. I believe a lot of failed cores stem from people not doing routine coolant flushes.

Definitely going to flush the coolant right away. Just got a quote for $680 to do both diffs, t-case, trans, coolant, engine, and brake fluid drains and fills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz