Basecamp Fail... Help!

deathbywanderlust

Scientist/ Adventurer
So I have been trying to figure out how to use Basecamp on my Macbook and to put it lightly I'm having problems. I finally got it to actually drop a waypoint or track but I'm wondering if what I want it to do maybe it won't actually do. We are leaving Thursday for Moab and Southern Utah to head to Overland Expo and this is my first time with Basecamp.

I'm trying to figure out how to drop waypoints and create a route. Like say I start in Salt Lake City, then go to Price and then down to Castle Dale and then start off-road on Buckhorn Wash and continue on dirt roads/ back roads for the rest of the trip. Can I drop say 20 waypoints and get an actual route and not just a line straight from waypoint to another?

So confused...

SARguru

Observer
Probably easier for you to use the "route" tool which you can find under tools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SARguru

Observer
f3e0011aba00e5d90b578199881b99bc.jpg

SARguru

Observer
Easiest is create waypoints and then drag them into the route tool.
Then under the settings in lower left select "create track"

SARguru

Observer
You can then select the track for the trip you just created.. Right click and you can play and invert the track for the return trip

deathbywanderlust

Scientist/ Adventurer
I had tried that but could only put in a start and an end... I couldn't figure out how to do multiple waypoints so it didn't map the trails I'm wanting... is there a way to put in multiple waypoints into the route planner?

deathbywanderlust

Scientist/ Adventurer
Ok nevermind I figured out how to add more points, so I added all my waypoints, put them into a new route, then created a track, then played track. It has all my points but it still just puts a straight line from one point to another, it doesn't follow the roads. Is that normal?

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
Sounds like you need to pick an activity profile that has "driving". You can adjust it for shortest route, fastest route, or curvy roads route. That should keep your route on roads. You can see the "activity" selection box in the second screen shot posted by SARguru above.

andoor

Observer
When you have it set to lock to roads, and have your start and end point entered the suggested route should be displayed. You can then drag that route to any road you choose. This creates additional routing points and the turn by turn will adjust accordingly. It will not work if these road/ trials do not exist on the NA map set. In this case I normally have to split my routes up into multiple sections. I will place a way-point at each trail start and end point and use the gps route to navigate between trails. This may just be an isolated issue for the northeast, I am not too sure how well the trails are mapped out west.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior