Base map for. Road trips

I travel for work a lot. Often 4 hours plus. Consequently I am always looking for the proverbial. Short /cut road less traveled. The typical highway maps like Apple car play and the gps. Map in my gladiator just give the common mist directions mostly freeways Google has an semi interactive map lets you add different stops or routes I am looking for something. Like that with maybe more detail I have gaia already but use it mainly for off road trips
is there a mashing program out there that allows this?
case in point. I have to travel from Yosemite to Santa Barbara on Thursday the map says take the 41 to the 101 BORing!!!!!! Or take the 41 to the 99 and then go north. Ughh Do what are you guys using ?

pluton

Adventurer
Gaia's *Gaia Topo* is an efficient vector map, and therefore can cover huge areas of the country for just a few gigs of storage. Conveniently stored on your phone or tablet---preferably both. It seems to be pretty good as far as I've used it, certainly for the paved roads. I did travel on a back road in the Mojave Preserve that didn't exist on that map. Never have just one map in the far backcountry.

4x4tripping

Adventurer
The specific use case will depend a lot. Just for orientation, to zoom in/out an alternative to a paper map I like maps.me. Also If someone on the roadside has to show me, where I can buy firewood - maps.me allows is so easy to handle that it is possible to use for that.

maps.me - Offline capable orientation tool (Android / iOS
I found the app very helpful to enter the tips of others as a waypoint, be it sightseeing hotspots or the nearest laundry in the city - this saves some misunderstandings, if the addressed person can set a corresponding waypoint himself. Great tool for orientation

Here we go - Offline capable street navigation (Android / iOS)
Street names, house numbers, "Please turn left in 20m" - HERE or Here.com (formerly Smart2Go, Map24, Navteq, Nokia Maps) offers very good navigation in over 100 countries. Quite a few car manufacturers equip their navigation systems with Navteq map material (BMW, VW, Daimler etc.) Accordingly, the map material is of high quality. On a trip around the world, this software is simply unmatched. With an online connection, traffic jam avoidance is added - but the maps can be downloaded offline per country.

Track Navigation - severall tools are available. They differs a lot about the needed time you need, to get most out of it.
Here is a comparison of Gaia, onX and Mapout. It is worth to use youtube to get some "how I use it" to get an idea.

To get some Apps with a specific usecase can be helpful. I do it anually - to write down my current list of most useful travel apps - with the specific usecase how I use the apps.

trippin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles