Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Work in progress on my current fiberglass project...

AuxPanelMasterWIP1.jpg

That's the mold master before any finish has been applied, it's for an auxiliary switch/gauge panel.

A cardstock mockup in the JK:

AuxPanelJKCardstock3.jpg

And in the LJ:

AuxPanelTJCardstock3.jpg

After I put a nice finish on the wood I'll make a mold and from that mold panel(s) can be made.

It's designed so multiple combinations of switches, gauges and other things can be installed.

AuxPanelTJCombinations_kGWsZ7tJZcPdrS1Dn48phB.jpg

It's a bit of a background project so it'll probably be a few weeks before the first panel comes out of the mold.

Zeep

Adventurer
Another great idea. I have the tray on top of my center column. Years ago, someone offered a similar idea for TJ
A pillars. Any chance of working on something for that? I've already replaced my cig lighter with a USB port/voltmeter.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Another great idea. I have the tray on top of my center column. Years ago, someone offered a similar idea for TJ
A pillars. Any chance of working on something for that? I've already replaced my cig lighter with a USB port/voltmeter.
An a-pillar panel for a TJ could be done exactly the same way as I'm doing the one I'm working on now - make a simple wooden master, make a mold from that and make the panels in the mold. Maybe something like this quick concept sketch...

APillarTJPanel.png

Maybe I'll do one of these too.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This guy: "FINALLY!! Just what I needed!"

View attachment 759096

(Yes, I know you were just using the same switch image for your mockup)
I'll have to count, but with all the lights/light bars various companies have sent me to test/review over the past few years I probably could implement something with as many lights as that. I really have to get around to cleaning out my storage space and unloading some of those samples.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Speaking of having too many samples taking up space here...

A couple of weeks ago I wrote that MORryde asked me to verify the fit of their updated JKU ammo can tray that they had made a few modifications to: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/barn-door-for-jk-factory-hardtops.127687/post-3063468

AmmoTrayWithCansAnnotated.jpg

I've been using one of these for several years to hold my kitchen battery, now I've got more of them here than I need.

If anyone wants the new MORryde ammo can tray for their JKU I'll send it to you if you cover the shipping and if you'll post photos of it installed in your Jeep showing how you'll use it. It sells for $194.99 at Quadratec (https://www.quadratec.com/p/morryde/ammo-can-tray-kit-molle-panel-wrangler-jk-unlimited-jp54-030) but all you'll need to do is cover shipping from me to you, install the product, post photos about it and describe how you'll use it. The box it's packed in is 16" x 12" x 20" and weighs 23 lbs. if anyone wants to calculate shipping from me to you (I'm at zip 14905).

When I get some time I'll be going through the other items from these companies that I won't be using and I'll make the same offer for some of those items too.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Speaking of having too many samples taking up space here...

A couple of weeks ago I wrote that MORryde asked me to verify the fit of their updated JKU ammo can tray that they had made a few modifications to: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/barn-door-for-jk-factory-hardtops.127687/post-3063468

AmmoTrayWithCansAnnotated.jpg

I've been using one of these for several years to hold my kitchen battery, now I've got more of them here than I need.

If anyone wants the new MORryde ammo can tray for their JKU I'll send it to you if you cover the shipping and if you'll post photos of it installed in your Jeep showing how you'll use it. It sells for $194.99 at Quadratec (https://www.quadratec.com/p/morryde/ammo-can-tray-kit-molle-panel-wrangler-jk-unlimited-jp54-030) but all you'll need to do is cover shipping from me to you, install the product, post photos about it and describe how you'll use it. The box it's packed in is 16" x 12" x 20" and weighs 23 lbs. if anyone wants to calculate shipping from me to you (I'm at zip 14905).

When I get some time I'll be going through the other items from these companies that I won't be using and I'll make the same offer for some of those items too.
MORryde just told me they'd be happy to pay the shipping from me to whoever would like this ammo can tray for their JKU. The rest of the deal still stands - install it and post some photos of it and describe how you'll use it.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few days ago when it was snowing I had the JK out for some errands. As expected, some snow built up on the headlight lenses - the LEDs don't' generate enough heat to keep the snow off. Over the next few months as it snows more I'll be testing some of the "home remedies" found on the internet - things like spraying the lenses with WD-40, Rain-X, non-stick cooking spray, etc. I may also experiment with headlight washers.

I picked up some windshield washer nozzles that could be mounted on the grille below the lights and aimed at the lenses. I checked the adjustment of this one and it adjusts enough so that it could put two streams on the lens.

WasherNozzle.jpg

I've got a bunch of extra JL-style grilles left over from that project and I don't mind drilling them to install nozzles to test this idea. I think the nozzle could go below and to the outside of the lights and they wouldn't be too obvious:

WasherNozzlePlacement1.jpg

WasherNozzlePlacement2.jpg

The question is what to spray through them. I could put an extra pump in the windshield washer bottle and spray with washer fluid, but it might be more effective to spray with de-icer fluid. But the JK engine compartment is so cramped it will be hard to find a place to install a bottle. I've got all winter to experiment though. I'll post any results I come up with as it snows and I can test more.

Does anyone here have the LED option on a JL? Does the owners manual make any mention of snow accumulation on the lights?
I've been looking for reserviors to carry deicer fluid for the LED headlight sprayers. I found these kits on eBay:

eBayWasherKits.jpg

Installing the washer nozzles on the grille is easy and these kits provide everything else needed, except one thing - room in the JK engine compartment! In the TJ these wouldn't be a problem but the JK engine compartment is so cramped I can't find a place for either of these.

I could mount either of them further back in the Jeep and run a hose to the front but I'd really like to find a way to do it all up front.

No solution yet.

DCH109

Adventurer
Some Land/ Range Rovers have heated washer jets for the headlights.
Here is the LR3/LR4 part.
I am sure you could source it else where for a discount, but that is the part.

Also there are a few companies that make heated systems.

jgaz

Adventurer
I didn't post the name because I don't know if it has a specific trade name. What I told OO I wanted the SpareHopper made out of was pretty simple - I wanted the fabric to be acrylic or polyester so it won't fade or degrade due to UV exposure, and I wanted it to have DWR protection (durable water repellent). They came up with this fabric which also has ripstop weave, a nice plus. They sourced it in India, which is where they make their products.

I can probably get them to sell you some - they like to help friends. How many yards would she want? Let me know and I'll ask them.
Jeff, thank you for the kind offer but it won’t be necessary.
My wife was finally able to find some waterproof Sumbrella material at a large fabric supplier here in Phoenix.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
H
Jeff, thank you for the kind offer but it won’t be necessary.
My wife was finally able to find some waterproof Sumbrella material at a large fabric supplier here in Phoenix.
Happy to try to help. Sunbrella is a great outdoor fabric, I used it to make the "covered wagon" top for my military replica trailer. It's held up great on the highway and in the weather.
TopView_zpsxvpigqqv.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Some Land/ Range Rovers have heated washer jets for the headlights.
Here is the LR3/LR4 part.
I am sure you could source it else where for a discount, but that is the part.

Also there are a few companies that make heated systems.
That's a very interesting idea, thanks. I'll have to see if it would be possible to mount a third pump on my factory reservoir, then I could pump heated windshield washer fluid onto the LED headlights.

DCH109

Adventurer
The old Land Cruiser FJ60's used a separate reservoir with the pump built in. It was a simple setup but effective.
I am sure you could add an additional pump the the OEM reservoir. However as the current pump is built in I would look at a spare unit to drill and test on.
It may be just adding an additional outlet with an external pump attached that then pumps the headlights (not sure if you would need a check valve or not).

If I recall the first LR3 I had (2005) the headlight washers went off when the windscreen washers were used. So there is the option to plumb them together as well.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'll title this post "ugh".

I wrote a few weeks ago that I was about to get the windshield replaced, this would be windshield #4. That was done in the week between Christmas and New Years.

Shortly after the windshield installation, I dropped the Jeep off at the dealer - one of the CV joints in the rear driveshaft went bad and I was going to have them replace both joints. With 265,000 miles on the clock, as long as the driveshaft was coming out, might as well replace both joints.

Because of a delay in the arrival of the parts, the Jeep sat outside for a few days there in the rain. It turns out there was a leak in the newly installed windshield, just above and to the right of the rear view mirror. The tray on top of the dash filled with water and then water ran down inside the dash. The result was that the radio got shorted out.

Back to the CV joints - both were replaced and all seemed fine with that. BTW, Jeep doesn't offer the joints separately, they only offer the entire driveshaft as a replacement part. The joints are available from OMIX though, so I bought them from Quadratec and provided them to the dealer. I've got a great relationship with the local dealer and they're very flexible about things like me providing parts.

The day after picking up the Jeep from the dealer, after about 60 miles of driving, one of the joints apparently failed. There's a terrible vibration in the driveshaft now that makes the Jeep almost undriveable. Quadratec is sending a replacement no charge and it should arrive tomorrow.

Now back to the radio - I spent almost the whole day yesterday at the local u-pull trying to find a replacement radio. Apparently the 2013 with Sirius and uconnect is a special beast, I tried about 6 radios that the u-pull's system says should be compatible and none of them would power up in my Jeep. The lead mechanic at Jeep had a spare he lent me, and that one worked, although it didn't have uconnect. So it seems that only a few very specific radio part numbers will actually work in my Jeep, even though radios from many years would appear to be compatible. Also when buying a used radio for this Jeep, you need the VIN of the donor vehicle to reprogram the radio's anti-theft system, so you can't just buy a random radio on eBay if the seller doesn't provide the VIN. Many sellers on eBay probably won't. I did find used ones on LKQ for about $350 and they do provide the donor VIN. This morning the auto glass place is coming here to fix the windshield leak and I told them their leak destroyed the radio, and they said they'll do something about it. We'll see what that means.

And the Jeep is going back to the dealer on Thursday to have the failed CV joint replaced.

Hopefully everything will be back to normal soon. Ugh.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few years back while attending Overland East while I was hanging out in the Overland Outfitters booth a woman came up to me and made some very nice comments about the styling and quality of the OO products. Then she said that OO didn't have what she really needed - a way to support her morning routine while out in the wild. I quizzed her on her requirements and shortly after I designed what became the "Camp Cabinet", intended to suit her full routine...

NecessityBag.jpg

I posted a review a few weeks ago done by a couple who uses it on their expeditions (https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/barn-door-for-jk-factory-hardtops.127687/post-3069575), it's been a pretty popular product for OO so far. Since the design requirements mostly came from the woman I met at Overland East, not surprisingly it's been very popular with women. It might be overkill for men (or women) whose needs in the wild are not as intense as the woman who gave me the requirements, so lately I've been thinking about a solution for those who need less. Like me.

For the past few years I've been using an Indian Army toiletry bag that I bought in a military shop in the Delhi Cantonment for 100 rupees (about $1.25). It was a great value and it's served me well. (History nugget: The Delhi Cantonment was originally established by the British military during their rule of India and today houses the headquarters of the India Army and many supporting businesses.)

IndianArmyBag.jpg

It's great for all the trips I make where I stay in hotels, but not so good in the wild - it would be nice to have something that could hang on a tree or the side of the Jeep when there's no table available. I looked at roll-ups, and I like the very nice example from Frost River below, but I decided that style wouldn't be as convenient in a hotel where I'd like to just set the bag on the sink counter like I do with my Indian army bag.

FrostRiverRollUp.jpg

It seems that almost everything on the market is either the simple bag type or the roll-up type, but I couldn't find anything that had the best features of both, so I worked out a design that could sit nicely on a sink top but also hang on a tree and be easily usable in both places.

I sewed a prototype on Sunday. It's compact, has a carry handle, and it's got MOLLE straps on the back in case I want to hang it on a MOLLE panel. I made it slightly taller than my Indian Army bag but the same width and depth. Packed up, it looks like this:

TravelKitStowed_smDjYRXr1JHX3Mogt1zY6h.jpg

It's a bit of a trick design... this series of photos will help explain it. There are three pouches, one large one in the back and two smaller ones. When stowed, one of the front pouches is "hinged" on top of the other front pouch and when the bag is opened, the top one hinges down so the bottom of all three pouches are sitting on the table.

TravelKitOpening3.jpg

Out in the wild, there may not be a convenient flat surface to set it on, so it can hang from the carry handle and all three pouches are fully accessible. On a closet door:

TravelKitHanging.jpg

On a MOLLE panel:

TravelKitMOLLE.jpg

And on the Jeep and a tree:

TravelKitHangingOutdoors.jpg

One more feature (that I don't plan to use myself) - there's a pocket between two of the pouches which can be used to hold the same mirror that comes with the Camp Cabinet. That mirror is polished stainless steel so it's unbreakable for rough expedition use.

TravelKitMirrorPocket.jpg

I think this will be a good addition to my overlanding (and hotel) kit and serve my needs in both places very well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94