Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

DCH109

Adventurer
I like the camp cabinet. that is cool and you have shown it else where on the thread (I believe) but the little organizer is brilliant. I was thinking the other day how I could do this with my RTT and Annex.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I like the camp cabinet. that is cool and you have shown it else where on the thread (I believe) but the little organizer is brilliant. I was thinking the other day how I could do this with my RTT and Annex.
Here are a few more details showing how I implemented the closet organizer:

The closet organizer from Walmart has webbing loops along the top for hanging it on a closet rod and I used them to hang it under the tent.

ClosetOrganizer_zps4mt4txxw.jpg

I found these folding hooks on eBay and attached them to the underside of the tent platform. They're self-adhesive but I added screws for added strength.

ChangingRoomShelves3_zpslfchzzid.jpg

Ih this photo the tent is stowed against the garage wall so you'll have to imagine that it's on the Jeep; this shows the organizer extended:

ChangingRoomShelves1_zpsvxbh0w1i.jpg

And in this photo it's collapsed. It collapses nicely and by itself when the tent is closed so it stays in place under the tent's travel cover between uses.

ChangingRoomShelves2_zps9sbhfopy.jpg

About the Camp Cabinet, OO showed it at Overland West two weeks ago and it got a lot of attention. It seems many people appreciate it as a different and better way to organize your morning (or evening) routine. I think OO sold a bunch too, although I don't have access to their numbers. It's also now available from Quadratec (along with most of the other OO products).

And speaking of Quadratec, OO has invited me to a meeting they're having next week with them. They're interesting meetings and I always learn something about the market from the folks there. Also I've got a few new product ideas to propose to both OO and QT.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Back in December OO asked me to design rear door pockets for the JKU to match the front door pockets they were already selling. It wasn't a difficult design project because they're just a variation on the front door pockets but since OO doesn't have a JKU at their production shop they asked me if I would do the design for them. I did the design, turned the details over to them and in February they sent me preproduction samples to verify and test install. I installed them and gave them a few bits of detailed feedback to adjust for production. I kept the preproduction samples in my Jeep until today. They've been selling the rear door pockets for a while, but just sent me a production pair to replace the preproduction ones in my JKU. I installed them today. They're still a little wrinkled from being in the package...

JKRearDoorPocketsFinal.jpg

While removing the preproduction set I got some ideas about other things for the Jeep that could be made with similar pockets, so the removed pockets are now sitting on my sewing table - I think I'll disassemble/reassemble them into something different. No sense wasting nice pockets with leather when I can turn them into a new idea. Stay tuned.

JKRearDoorPocketsPreprol.jpg

Pay no attention to the tan pockets and other parts on the sewing table, they're part of another project I've been working on and I'll post about when it gets a little further along ;).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Every winter I carry my tow strap and a pair of shackles in my Jeep; you never know when you'll have to pull someone out of a ditch. This year it was my mail carrier:

PostalRescue.jpg

When I was getting ready for winter and trying to decide where to store the shackles in the LJ, I sewed this simple pair of pouches that zips to the seat back:

ShackleBagOnLJSeat1.jpg

And that is what inspired me yesterday when I was removing the preproduction back door pockets from the JKU. This morning I disassembled the old door pockets:

JKRearDisassembled.jpg

And resewed them into this:

SeatBackPockets1.jpg

SeatBackPockets2.jpg

It zips to the standard OO seat back zipper that's on the seats of both my JKU and my LJ. On the back I added a carry handle; maybe you want to unzip it and carry it somewhere? I also added a pair of small rings which could be used for a shoulder strap or could be used for clips to hang it somewhere else - inside a tent, or on a tree at a campsite maybe.

SeatBackPockets3.jpg

These seem like they might be useful, I'll keep them in the Jeep for a while.

Back when OO sent me the preproduction pockets they actually sent me two pairs, not sure why. I've still got the other pair, unused.

SeatBackPockets4.jpg

Challenge: if anyone can think of another good way to reuse these pockets in some other form like I did above and it's a good and practical idea, maybe I'll sew your idea and we'll see how it works out. And if it's such a good idea that OO puts it in production, I'll ask them to send you a sample set of your design.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here's another idea... how about adding some style to MOLLE? The OO MOLLE panel is already nice canvas and leather, I disassemble the remaining pair of door pockets and put MOLLE straps on the back. Quick photo edit:

MollePockets2.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The inlaws are coming from overseas to visit for a month, so we'll need 4 seats in the JKU. The easy part is removing the floor compartment, I designed that to go in or out with only two bolts. It's a little more effort to wrestle the heavy 2/3 side of the back seat back in place and align and tighten all the bolts required for that.

FloorCompartmentRemoved.jpg

The floor compartment should go back in sometime in July.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This morning at the sewing machine... I disassembled the other set of preproduction JK rear door pockets and turned the pockets into MOLLE pockets.

JKRearAsMOLLE1.jpg

Tried one first on the headrest MOLLE, the pouches I sewed the other day are still zipped to the seat back:

JKRearAsMOLLE4.jpg

I think they look pretty good on the tailgate panel too (this is a JL tailgate):

JKRearAsMOLLE3.jpg

I've also got a few preproduction JK front door pockets here so I disassembled one of those. The pocket is larger than the rear door pockets, and this one happens to be all leather. Haven't decided what I'll do with this pocket yet.

JKRearAndFront.jpg

I'll show these "repurposed" pockets to OO, maybe they'll be interested in the idea.

And while I was taking pictures in the Jeep I realized that when I installed the rear door pockets the other day I only took photos with the doors open, so here's one with the door closed.

JKRearDoorClosed.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Wow, that was quick... on Friday I unsewed a pair of preproduction JK rear door pockets and turned them into a set of seat back pockets (https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/barn-door-for-jk-factory-hardtops.127687/post-3029702). This showed up today:

SeatBackPocketsSample.jpg

I had emailed photos of the seat back pockets I made to OO Friday morning after I finished sewing them. Apparently they were in the middle of a production run of JK back door pockets and since they were cranking out pockets as part of that process so they sewed a pair into seat back pockets and sent them to me for my approval. They didn't tell me whether they're putting them into production or not. I think that since they were making back door pockets when they got my email they must have taken a break for a few minutes and made this sample.

I don't know if they also made any MOLLE versions of these pockets like I did, but I didn't send them those photos until Sunday so they probably didn't.

Bruce_B

I could use a soft-side fire extinguisher holster to replace the repurposed roll bar bracket that I attached to my rear door. I do most of my cooking from the 40% rear seat. When I was looking for a handy location to mount the fire extinguisher to allow quick response to a cooking fire accident, it occurred to me that better than discharging a fire extinguisher in a confined space would be to first exit the vehicle. After I opened the door and stepped out, this location seemed ideal. Have not had an opportunity to try it out yet though.

Fire Extinguisher_20220614.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I could use a soft-side fire extinguisher holster to replace the repurposed roll bar bracket that I attached to my rear door. I do most of my cooking from the 40% rear seat. When I was looking for a handy location to mount the fire extinguisher to allow quick response to a cooking fire accident, it occurred to me that better than discharging a fire extinguisher in a confined space would be to first exit the vehicle. After I opened the door and stepped out, this location seemed ideal. Have not had an opportunity to try it out yet though.

View attachment 726781
I do my cooking in the back on the Trail Kitchen, so I hang my extinguisher on the tailgate. I sewed a soft holder for the extinguisher in the process; it can hang on a MOLLE panel or it can strap to a roll bar. I'm not too familiar with the early JK door panels, but probably a way to hang this there could be worked out. I did turn the design over to Overland Outfitters but unfortunately so far they haven't done anything with it.

TAPExtinguisher3.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
About a year and a half ago I designed and sewed a prototype seat back organizer. I tested it in the JK and the LJ for a while and then I put it aside. I reinstalled it today; in these photos one of the new MOLLE pouches I made from the preproduction JK Rear Door Pockets is installed...

SeatBackOrganizer2022.jpg

I'm driving the JKU to the Quadratec meeting tomorrow and OO asked me to install the organizer to show it to them as a potential new product. I'm not sure this makes sense for them to do; there are a bunch of similar products on the market already and they're mostly fairly inexpensive (albeit with much cheaper materials than OO would use, no leather etc.), but OO thinks their customers, who appreciate quality materials and construction, would be interested in this as a product. That's for OO to decide, I just design this stuff for my own use and amusement and if they think it should be a product that's up to them.

If I learn anything interesting (that I'm allowed to share) at the Quadratec/Overland Outfitters meeting tomrrow I'll share.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Got another marketing email from Indie Campers yesterday; they're promoting their rental JLU's with RTT and MORryde Trail Kitchen (https://indiecampers.com/rent-an-rv/phoenix/phoenix/2022-06-27/2022-07-04/wrangler/offer/special).

Images from their email and site:

IndieCampers0622a.jpg

IndieCampers0622b.jpg

They also say the rental comes with a shower but I couldn't find any info about the shower on their site:

IndieCampers0622c.jpg

Seems like one of these rentals would be a good way for someone who thinks they want to get into Jeep overlanding/camping to get a taste of what it's like before spending a ton of money to outfit a Jeep.

The email was promoting rentals in Phoenix, but I understand Indie is working on expanding the availability of their JLU campers to a bunch of new cities. According to the reports I get from MORryde Indie has ordered a large number of Trail Kitchens recently for this expansion.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm going though the preproduction samples that OO has sent me in the process of them turning some of my designs into products and this morning I unsewed a preproduction JK front door pocket and turned it into a MOLLE pouch.

JKFrontAsMOLLE1.jpg

JKFrontAsMOLLE2.jpg

I really like the way these look and how the rear door pockets I converted the other day look. I especially like the antique well-used look of the patina of the leather - much more style and class than ordinary MOLLE pouches. I hope OO will agree decide to produce some of these.

Jurfie

Adventurer
About a year and a half ago I designed and sewed a prototype seat back organizer. I tested it in the JK and the LJ for a while and then I put it aside. I reinstalled it today; in these photos one of the new MOLLE pouches I made from the preproduction JK Rear Door Pockets is installed...

SeatBackOrganizer2022.jpg

I'm driving the JKU to the Quadratec meeting tomorrow and OO asked me to install the organizer to show it to them as a potential new product. I'm not sure this makes sense for them to do; there are a bunch of similar products on the market already and they're mostly fairly inexpensive (albeit with much cheaper materials than OO would use, no leather etc.), but OO thinks their customers, who appreciate quality materials and construction, would be interested in this as a product. That's for OO to decide, I just design this stuff for my own use and amusement and if they think it should be a product that's up to them.

If I learn anything interesting (that I'm allowed to share) at the Quadratec/Overland Outfitters meeting tomrrow I'll share.

Something clicked with me as I looked at this photo: if OO made these products with black leather/white stitching option, then I think I’d be more inclined to purchase. As long as it is a nice, supple black leather; not a cheap, stiff “is this even real leather?” leather.

Don’t get me wrong, the black with brown leather is super classy-looking (if Saddle Brown was that colour leather, I probably would have gone with that instead of black and we wouldn’t be having this conversation) but for me and *my* Jeep, it is too classy. I’d like to see your sample in a Jeep with Saddle interior (I realize you don’t have access to one), as I think it would look awesome. But IMHO, I think all black would be the more popular choice and sell like hotcakes. I’d prefer that to the cheaper products you mentioned, because I’m a little bit classy (my Jeep is more “high-end bourbon-drinking redneck” than “cabernet-sipping redneck” ;))

I know you aren’t the one making decisions for OO (or even affiliated with them other than making stuff for your own enjoying that they might like to produce for the commercial market), but there’s my unsolicited suggestion. If OO is reading, then they can decide if they want to consider it. :cool:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Something clicked with me as I looked at this photo: if OO made these products with black leather/white stitching option, then I think I’d be more inclined to purchase. As long as it is a nice, supple black leather; not a cheap, stiff “is this even real leather?” leather.

Don’t get me wrong, the black with brown leather is super classy-looking (if Saddle Brown was that colour leather, I probably would have gone with that instead of black and we wouldn’t be having this conversation) but for me and *my* Jeep, it is too classy. I’d like to see your sample in a Jeep with Saddle interior (I realize you don’t have access to one), as I think it would look awesome. But IMHO, I think all black would be the more popular choice and sell like hotcakes. I’d prefer that to the cheaper products you mentioned, because I’m a little bit classy (my Jeep is more “high-end bourbon-drinking redneck” than “cabernet-sipping redneck” ;))

I know you aren’t the one making decisions for OO (or even affiliated with them other than making stuff for your own enjoying that they might like to produce for the commercial market), but there’s my unsolicited suggestion. If OO is reading, then they can decide if they want to consider it. :cool:
Black leather with white stitching... I'll make sure OO sees your comments.

They tell me that they sell more black products on their web site but at shows when people can see the products in person they sell more tan. I wouldn't have guessed that.

My Jeep dealer is very friendly to me and let's me measure and test fit any time I want, so whenever I need to design something for a Jeep I don't have, or want to see what something looks like with different color interiors, I drop by the dealer. I tool these photos to see what OO's brown leather and tan canvas would look like in some of the new JL interior colors.

JLRedRubiTanSaddlebag.jpg

JLRubiBackpack1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles