Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I agree that the table isn‘t really required on the first aid kit. Maybe substitute an additional thin, zippered pocket? On the other two designs I can see the table being an asset.
Good looking products,
Thanks for the input! Probably not room for a thin pocket instead of the table but I'll see what's possible.

jgaz

Adventurer
Even if the pocket was hard backed, not able to hold alot.
Something thin, able to hold a few layers of 4x4 gauze pads. Any increase in dressing material would be welcome.

In my backpacking kit I carry six 4x4s that I’ve removed from the pkg. and vaccum sealed. This allows me to carry more in less space. I was taught this in the NOLS WFA class.
When dressing a wound I try for “sterile” but in the backcountry sometimes you have to settle for “clean”.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Even if the pocket was hard backed, not able to hold alot.
Something thin, able to hold a few layers of 4x4 gauze pads. Any increase in dressing material would be welcome.

In my backpacking kit I carry six 4x4s that I’ve removed from the pkg. and vaccum sealed. This allows me to carry more in less space. I was taught this in the NOLS WFA class.
When dressing a wound I try for “sterile” but in the backcountry sometimes you have to settle for “clean”.
I think I've got you covered - with 4x4 or larger gauze pads in mind I designed 3 places into the bag that can hold 4x4 or larger pads.

Under the clear pockets that flip like book pages is a large clear pocket, and on the outside of both sides of the bag are large zipper pockets.

FirstResponderLargePockets.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A company contacted me yesterday to ask I would test a new product for them. It's a stabilizer that goes in a receiver hitch and they believe it would be of interest to people who camp in vehicles like Jeeps - they say the product prevents the vehicle from swaying when people are in a roof top tent. They said they would send me one if I would test it and report back to them on whether or not it could be useful for a roof-top camping setup. Assuming they do send me one I'll do that and I'll post a review here.

HitchMountStabilizer(3).jpg

Any initial thoughts this product?

mhm

This could be nice to have. I have not camped in my jeep, but on my toyota with a fwc having something to stabilize the back would be nice ( in stead of bringing a pair of jack stands)

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I have a harbor freight trailer that flips up if not attached to the vehicle, would be useful for that too.

This could be nice to have. I have not camped in my jeep, but on my toyota with a fwc having something to stabilize the back would be nice ( in stead of bringing a pair of jack stands)

Just got tracking info, it's due to arrive before the end of the week. Weather forecast for the weekend is nice, so I'll try to find the time to put the rack and roof top tent on the Jeep to give the stabilizer a good test. Maybe I'll try it on one of my trailers as well.

Presto88

Adventurer
You'd want to make sure that it was a tight fit in the receiver. When towing, I used to have a clunking sound caused by the drawbar being too loose in the receiver and I think that the same thing could happen here. I fixed it by buying a pin for the drawbar that is actually a bolt that can be tightened. Doesn't everyone have that problem?
Anyway, the last thing you need is a clunking sound in the middle of the night every time the Jeep shifts to one side or the other.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
You'd want to make sure that it was a tight fit in the receiver. When towing, I used to have a clunking sound caused by the drawbar being too loose in the receiver and I think that the same thing could happen here. I fixed it by buying a pin for the drawbar that is actually a bolt that can be tightened. Doesn't everyone have that problem?
Anyway, the last thing you need is a clunking sound in the middle of the night every time the Jeep shifts to one side or the other.
Jim,
Thanks for bringing that up, I'll be sure to test for that.
jeff

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Stabilizer arrived today. Some trivial assembly is required (4 bolts). Shown here in the stowed position. I'll test it this weekend and post results. There's packing dust on it, the finish is fine but the dust might make it look bad.

HitchMountStabilizer2.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
It was a beautiful day today so I installed the rack and roof top tent to test a few things, starting with the hitch mount stabilizer I received the other day.

StabilizerInstalled1a.jpg

StabilizerInstalled2.jpg

StabilizerInstalled3.jpg

The stabilizer does exactly what it claims to do - prevents the Jeep from swaying. I tried rocking the Jeep from within the tent and couldn't, and the stabilizer made no noise as I was doing that.

Tomorrow I think I'll test it with one of my trailers and then I'll send photos and detailed comments back to the company (and I'll keep the stabilizer :)).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I also installed the rack extension I built a few months ago, and also the cargo box I adapted to the rack.

RackBox.jpg

One other thing visible in the photo above is the shelf unit hanging down from the bottom of the tent. A closer shot:

WalmartShelf.jpg

I found it at Walmart quite a while ago and haven't had the RTT on the Jeep since them to test it. It's intended to hang in a household closet but it was easy to adapt to mounting to the bottom of the RTT platform. It stays in place when the tent is folded up (without any contents of course). The mirror that's hanging from the shelf also stays in place when the tent folds up. I think the shelf unit will be very handy inside the changing room, which isn't installed in these photos. Maybe tomorrow I install that too.

Also visible in the photos are the shoe caddies I made; they came in very handy today because the ground was a little muddy and I didn't want to bring my shoes into the tent. They also stay in place (minus shoes) as the tent folds up.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The next thing I tested was a proof-of-concept shower stall/changing room I just finished. I used ultra-cheap ($1.99 each) Ikea shower curtains for testing, something more substantial will be substituted in the final version. Also the walls need provisions for staking the bottoms down, they're very susceptible to blowing in the wind.

ShowerRoom1.jpg

Inside:

ShowerRoom2.jpg

The Power Shower unit hangs on the shower stall mounting board.

ShowerRoom3.jpg

The shower stall clamps to the roof rack. To stow, the frame folds and the walls roll up. The final version will have a zipper bag that encloses everything. The cheapo shower curtains aren't much thicker than plastic bags so it's very hard to fold/roll them nicely; a more substantial fabric will roll up much nicer than seen below.

ShowerRoom4.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
One other thing I checked out in the tent today was the preproduction Camp Cabinet that Overland Outfitters sent me two weeks ago. It hangs very nicely inside the tent and I think will be very useful for morning and evening routines

CampCabinetInRTT1.jpg

CampCabinetInRTT2.jpg

With the changing room installed below, I would hang the camp cabinet inside there, and it would also unclip to be taken to a campground bathroom/shower room if staying in a formal campground.

There are a few more things I want to test tomorrow, more photos to come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles