Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

rubicon91

Explorer
Thanks for the input, all good to know.

I chose propane for several reasons - first, propane stove components, such as burners, are available for making custom stoves. Second, because propane is available everywhere, tanks are available in several sizes (including throwaway cans for torches in hardware stores) and it fires up easily and works well. But other fuels have good attributes as well as you point out. For the past several years I've been using a small butane stove and it's worked great.

I'm going to build this one as a proof-of-concept prototype and go from there based on what I learn from the prototype. I've got a tentative design for a dual burner stove that attaches in the same place so if the single burner works out well maybe I'll also do a two burner version.

I am interested in exploring different ways to carry propane. As I mentioned in my post, for the amount of cooking I do a 1 lb. disposable propane can from the hardware store is probably good enough, but others who are more serious about cooking will need more. Here's a photo I stole from Donny's instagram, he's got a 5 lb. tank mounted on his Ursa Minor top (he made me drill the holes to mount it :)), it looks like he's fueling both a tabletop stove and his Tembo Tusk from the one tank. Not sure everyone wants to drill holes in their hardtop though, so I'm going to see what other options there are for carrying a 5 lb. tank and what new options I can come up with.

DonnyCooking_zpshwybk0c3.jpg
hahaha you dang straight I Had you drill those holes. Since you are a fiberglass guru! Still gives me anxiety to this day thinking about those 4 holes being drilled!!! Before the top I had a LOD rear bumper/tire carrier combo and they had a bracket that I had it mounted to. Worked great at the time as well. I have a dual hose adapter on the 5lb tank so I can run both at the same time as you mentioned. Others mount the tank on the roll bar I have seen as well. Not sure I would but I have seen it mounted this way as well!

Attachments

• 20170916_141924_resized.jpg
    20170916_141924_resized.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 38

jscherb

Expedition Leader
hahaha you dang straight I Had you drill those holes. Since you are a fiberglass guru! Still gives me anxiety to this day thinking about those 4 holes being drilled!!! Before the top I had a LOD rear bumper/tire carrier combo and they had a bracket that I had it mounted to. Worked great at the time as well. I have a dual hose adapter on the 5lb tank so I can run both at the same time as you mentioned. Others mount the tank on the roll bar I have seen as well. Not sure I would but I have seen it mounted this way as well!
Donny,
Do you have quick disconnect fittings on the gas inputs of your stoves? If so, what type are they - can you post a photo? The stove parts I ordered have (I think) 3/8 IPT compression fittings requiring a wrench, but I plan to implement quick disconnects.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Donny,
Do you have quick disconnect fittings on the gas inputs of your stoves? If so, what type are they - can you post a photo? The stove parts I ordered have (I think) 3/8 IPT compression fittings requiring a wrench, but I plan to implement quick disconnects.
Donny and I corresponded via text on this and I've got his answers; now I'll do a little research to source the connectors.

jgaz

Adventurer
At the risk of derailing this thread I like to ask a workshop related question.

At the edge of your picture below I can see what I believe is a Rockwell/Delta 14” bandsaw. Is the saw a model that can be slowed down to cut ferrous metal?
27DE3AB3-8AC0-4D02-B9EE-C29659BE67C1.jpeg

My reason for asking is I‘ve been searching for the parts to convert my 1953 Delta edition to cut metal and have not had much success. If yours has the two speed box, and the step pulleys feature I‘d like to ask you some questions.

My barn find, basket case, rebuilt in 1990, Rockwell saw.
4AA142DF-1478-4E71-9258-05D62BB93607.jpeg

Your Art Deco style belt cover is much more elegant than my DIY version.
BFF6331A-541B-40F0-8001-1B04F462D832.jpeg

Thanks.
We now return to your regularly scheduled programming .

jscherb

Expedition Leader
At the risk of derailing this thread I like to ask a workshop related question.

At the edge of your picture below I can see what I believe is a Rockwell/Delta 14” bandsaw. Is the saw a model that can be slowed down to cut ferrous metal?
View attachment 566924

My reason for asking is I‘ve been searching for the parts to convert my 1953 Delta edition to cut metal and have not had much success. If yours has the two speed box, and the step pulleys feature I‘d like to ask you some questions.

My barn find, basket case, rebuilt in 1990, Rockwell saw.
View attachment 566925

Your Art Deco style belt cover is much more elegant than my DIY version.
View attachment 566926

Thanks.
We now return to your regularly scheduled programming .
Yes, it is a Rockwell 14" with the 2-speed gearbox for metal cutting. Mine is older than yours, it's WWII vintage. It works great, I use it all the time - all of my metal fab projects have come under its blade. I have a lot of the original documentation and parts lists for it if those would help you. Here's a sample:

Bandsaw_zpsbgf9xnxj.jpg

jgaz

Adventurer
Yes, it is a Rockwell 14" with the 2-speed gearbox for metal cutting. Mine is older than yours, it's WWII vintage. It works great, I use it all the time - all of my metal fab projects have come under its blade. I have a lot of the original documentation and parts lists for it if those would help you. Here's a sample:

Bandsaw_zpsbgf9xnxj.jpg
Thank you

jscherb

Expedition Leader
About a week ago I posted about a stove option for the Trail Kitchen that I designed and planned to build a prototype of (https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...factory-hardtops.127687/page-287#post-2741395). The components came in on Friday so I put together the prototype. The stove clips to the side of the Trail Kitchen in place of an optional small table.

StovePrototype2_zpsie46es3j.jpg

StovePrototype2b_zpsdkodng1s.jpg

My design includes an igniter button for lighting the stove, it's visible in the photos above.

I tested the stove with the 20 lb. propane tank from my backyard gas grille and with a 1 lb. Coleman propane can and both work fine, the stove is plenty hot. I don't plan to use the 20 lb. tank on the trail, and the 1 lb. can probably doesn't need mounting but as soon as I can find a 5 lb. tank I'll work on places to mount that.

One last thing I plan to make is a wind guard, it'll look something like this. Can't pick up the necessary stainless until Monday so I'll build the guard then. The guard will be removable and will fold flat for storage.

StovePrototype1c_zpsblfsud35.jpg

The stove is very compact and fits nicely in the same travel bag that the small table stows in (not both in the bag at the same time though).

StoveInBag_zpstxpgirhr.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Made the wind guard for the stove. It folds flat for storage and mounts quickly in small holes in the tabletop.

WindGuard1_zps9gax3bf1.jpg

The guard is reversible if necessary.

WindGuard1r_zpsjnjunohh.jpg

OregonJKU

Made the wind guard for the stove. It folds flat for storage and mounts quickly in small holes in the tabletop.

WindGuard1_zps9gax3bf1.jpg

The guard is reversible if necessary.

WindGuard1r_zpsjnjunohh.jpg
Hi Jeff,
That looks terrific! Would you please post a picture of the underside of the table with the stovetop attached? Also where did you get the stovetop?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Hi Jeff,
That looks terrific! Would you please post a picture of the underside of the table with the stovetop attached? Also where did you get the stovetop?
Here's a photo of the bottom of the stove table. Camp stove burners and other parts can be found on eBay as well as some online camping supply places. I found most of the parts for this project on eBay.

StoveUnderside_zpscq7usdvg.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The Trail Kitchen sink table has a cutout in it for the sink to drop into but if I don't need the sink at the moment but instead need lots of counter space I can pop the sink and faucet out of the table top and overlay the tabletop with this stainless cover - it covers the sink and faucet hole and turns the sink tabletop into a full solid tabletop.

Clip-OnStoveWithSinkHoleCover_zpsoqio20pf.jpg

MattJ

Adventurer
Jeff:
I saw these photos in the latest SEMA magazine and was thinking you might be able to incorporate a flip-down stove into some of your window designs:

y4my01N4JYHw13_59r41dic0JQTQLiyRJyyupMYOBosckLhUjDXCBxGQcKz09MAL2fIEmMvUFZDnPmj6Guo-xWuBUcInYNh393f-TDT0lwrhDcKUPux4aNkRu4Hk3PFRLUMoHQsVXEMzfPfcE2KqBAeZUqxnQKHz2L0eMnfrHTKWgNJXNI-c1TYJO2SoPe8VnnsLTGfDCk3PRqYru89J3KHDQ

y4mvKs_1RcaHaCqXoJtYJXWtwPah9Oi44kS39czRe2AE6fuzVXhZojUz2KNj0pVwcNSlTEMdgsUCpThhA0nG326-8wRkuNv4MzwZ5O-WAiiaUkTimaCB4aG2KxbgfG5fOQEkXCuAU3RHvgLzBHRZX-7KuC8UTFIOAyWKJjSnytITlnGSQFyXcu7PeJ0Vtm6TSlHJPKO8CskB9hmg57Rkg8n6w

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz