Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few more things from SEMA...

Rotopax is showing two products I haven't seen before. A 1.5 gallon fuel container they're calling the RollPax:

RotopaxRollpax_zpstxotgblg.jpg

And traction devices.

RotopaxTraction_zpsooj3eqiz.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here's an interesting roof top tent from Thule and Tepui - seems like a good idea if you need to carry other things on the roof like a kayak. The sleeping platform is only 45" wide, so it would sleep two people who are very friendly.

ThuleTepui1_zpsm9uwzxbf.jpg

ThuleTepui2_zpsbke3qa1x.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
One thing that's almost a numerous at this year's show as Gladiators are LED lighting vendors. This is Auxbeam's booth, over the past year or so the occasaionally offer to send me products to test and review. Recently I tested their 2000 lumen tactical flashlight, which I like a lot.

Auxbeam_zps7m8kdeiy.jpg

This year there's a tire pressure monitoring system in their catalog and I told them I would be interested in testing that on my LJ, so if they send me one I'll post about it.

They also told me that right now they've got a 50% off/no tax sale going on at their web site, I haven't had time here at the show to check out their site to see what's on sale but I'll pass it along, maybe there's something on sale someone needs - www.auxbeam.com

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm on the way back across the country headed for home from SEMA, tonight I'm in Amarillo. Taking the southern route rather than I-80 because I had enough snow on the way out.

I've still got some SEMA photos on my phone I'll post, here are a few photos of a new drawer manufacturer. They're from China and this is their first time showing these in the US. They're not a retailer, they were exhibiting at the show looking for companies interested in retailing these in the US.

The drawers and cabinets are very impressive. The drawers slide on ball bearings and the action is very smooth and rattle-free. The top of the drawer is carpeted and has recessed tie-down rings. The inside of the drawers is also carpeted. They have a locking paddle handle that's recessed into the front of the drawer.

Drawer2_zpsr6znwrn2.jpg

Drawer1_zpsepe8rzju.jpg

They have a number of other configurations pictured in their brochure, as well as photos of the drawers in a JKU (the dual unit pictured above fits in a JKU without the side subwoofer.

Their FOB China wholesale price on these is excellent so it should be possible for a US company to pick them up to market them in the US at a reasonable price.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Another idea from SEMA... I've been posting about the changing room and the shoe caddies I'm making for my RTT so I've been looking for related ideas, here's one. iCamper has a bar that attaches to the underside of the tent; it's a channel that accepts rings for hanging things.

iCamper1_zpse1rnsetj.jpg

iCamper2_zpsjxpycmya.jpg

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Another photo I took at SEMA, although it's technically not a SEMA photo. On the drive out to Las Vegas I stopped at the window manufacturer to pick up a prototype JL slider window frame. It was in my Jeep when I drove the Jeep into the show hall and since there was a JL in a booth nearby, I posed the frame and retrofit kit against the JL's hardtop to see how it looked.

JLRetrofitKit2a_zpsgl8ecwam.jpg

jgaz

Adventurer
Safe travels home Jeff.
I enjoyed seeing your Jeep in person at the show. Thanks for taking the time to talk to me.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A couple of other small updates from SEMA... eBay Motors had a large booth there and they were handing out socket sets. They're all 10mm sockets, both 1/4 and 3/8 drive in deep and normal lengths. Not sure why 10mm but since there are lots of 10mm bolt heads in the JKU, I'm sure these will come in handy.

eBaySockets_zpsvpos1ov2.jpg

Along with the sockets they were handing out $10 cards, good-as-cash for any purchase on eBay. They were handing these out like they had too many and couldn't wait to get rid of them so I saw lots of people going back multiple times for more. I buy a lot of small hardware and sewing supplies on eBay, many of which are even less than $10, so these cards are very nice to have.

Another update - a company approached me about the barn door; they asked about licensing the design and putting it in production and asked me to send them a proposal. I'll follow up with them and if they want to move forward with it I'll report back here.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've posted before about the Rollbag design I made a while back; Overland Outfitters picked up the design and it's been in production now for a while and it's available on their web site and also at Quadratec.

After OO was finished with the prototype I sewed they gave it back and I added a zipper on the side so it can hang off the back of the seat, I've been using it to carry a 20', 27,000 lb. capacity recovery strap:

SeatBackRollbag_zps7pwrcjjd.jpg

The Rollbag works really well on the seat back but I haven't decided if I'll recommend this version to Overland Outfitters.

On my drive back from SEMA I stopped in a Duluth Trading store, they were having a 25% off everything sale and I like some of their clothes. I discovered that they sell a toiletries bag that looks like a miniature Rollbag, so I couldn't resist buying one.

This morning I modified the Duluth bag so that it can accept straps to attach it to things like the roll bar or the grab bar...

DuluthToiletriesBag2_zpsilm9htg4.jpg

DuluthToiletriesBag3_zpsfg2qljro.jpg

The modifications were pretty simple. I sewed a piece of webbing to the side of the bag that Velcro one-wrap can slip through.Velcro one-wrap is two-sided velcro, hook on one side, loop on the other. I used 3/4" double-sided hook & loop (not Velcro brand) I picked up at Harbor Freight.

DuluthToiletriesBag1_zpsvbc7yztc.jpg

I also sewed a small length of webbing to the end of the bag to tuck the bag handle into, since the handle won't be needed when the bag is hanging in the Jeep.

The "full size" Rollbag that Overland Outfitters now sells is really handy for many things but I'm not sure if the smaller one will be as handy so I'll keep it in the Jeep for a while to see what I can store in it and if it's useful.

BTW the flashlight holder I made a few weeks ago fits nicely on the grab bar too...

FlashlightHolderGrabBar_zpsjwzj7bce.jpg

Presto88

Adventurer
A couple of other small updates from SEMA... eBay Motors had a large booth there and they were handing out socket sets. They're all 10mm sockets, both 1/4 and 3/8 drive in deep and normal lengths. Not sure why 10mm but since there are lots of 10mm bolt heads in the JKU, I'm sure these will come in handy.

eBaySockets_zpsvpos1ov2.jpg

Along with the sockets they were handing out $10 cards, good-as-cash for any purchase on eBay. They were handing these out like they had too many and couldn't wait to get rid of them so I saw lots of people going back multiple times for more. I buy a lot of small hardware and sewing supplies on eBay, many of which are even less than $10, so these cards are very nice to have.

Another update - a company approached me about the barn door; they asked about licensing the design and putting it in production and asked me to send them a proposal. I'll follow up with them and if they want to move forward with it I'll report back here.
I can't even begin to count how many 10mm sockets and combination wrenches I've purchased over the years! I have my work area all to myself, so I know that nobody is stealing them, but I lose them all the time! Always 10mm....

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I can't even begin to count how many 10mm sockets and combination wrenches I've purchased over the years! I have my work area all to myself, so I know that nobody is stealing them, but I lose them all the time! Always 10mm....
If I had known that I would have made an extra trip to the eBay booth to grab some sockets for you :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles