Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

Bobzdar

Observer
Double-cab Jeep pickups are a relatively new thing here in the US but they've been available on the other side of the world for at least 30 years. This is a Mahindra "Utiliti" in the service of the Nepal Red Cross, it's probably an early 90's model. It's got a goofy grille overlay but there is a CJ style grille underneath:

NepalRedCrossUtiliti_zpspqo2lmgf.jpg

The later models are called the "Bolero Camper" but they have nothing to do with camping as far as I can tell. Many of them also have covered wagon tops on the pickup beds. Roof racks on the double cab roof are also very common. These later models have the "Bolero" front sheet metal in common with the other current models.

BoleroCamper1_zps9txwdyos.jpg

Seems to me that it would be useful to have a covered wagon top for a Gladiator like those in the photos above. Here's a photo-edit, I took the "covered wagon" top off the photo above and adapted it to a photo of a Gladiator...

GladiatorCoveredWagon_zpso357fxb2.jpg

The Bolero Camper is very popular in India, Nepal and other South Asian countries. It's also popular in South Africa where several companies offer fiberglass and metal caps for the pickup bed.

A lot of gladiator owners waiting for something like that - though most will want cab height for 75-80mph highway running. I know I'd like something like that for mine.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A lot of gladiator owners waiting for something like that - though most will want cab height for 75-80mph highway running. I know I'd like something like that for mine.
More like this then:

GladiatorCoveredWagon2_zpsp4i741bs.jpg

If someone really wants something like that for a Gladiator, it can be a DIY project... I made a covered wagon top a few years ago for my fiberglass military trailer replica, the same design should adapt well to the Gladiator.

TestDrive1_zpshdlxim81.jpg

CargoAccess1_zpsmkzfbbyh.jpg

I designed it so all 4 sides roll up, the same thing could be done for a Gladiator covered wagon top.

SidesRolledUp1_zpsox1mhyn9.jpg

BTW I've had no problems with the trailer top at 70mph on the highway.

My trailer top is designed for easy and quick removal so it can be put on when needed and removed afterwards - if I were to do a Gladiator covered wagon top I'd do it the same way.

If I had a Gladiator here I'd make one of these tops for it, it would very useful to have and it would be be a fun sewing project.

Bobzdar

Observer
More like this then:

GladiatorCoveredWagon2_zpsp4i741bs.jpg

If someone really wants something like that for a Gladiator, it can be a DIY project... I made a covered wagon top a few years ago for my fiberglass military trailer replica, the same design should adapt well to the Gladiator.

TestDrive1_zpshdlxim81.jpg

CargoAccess1_zpsmkzfbbyh.jpg

I designed it so all 4 sides roll up, the same thing could be done for a Gladiator covered wagon top.

SidesRolledUp1_zpsox1mhyn9.jpg

BTW I've had no problems with the trailer top at 70mph on the highway.

My trailer top is designed for easy and quick removal so it can be put on when needed and removed afterwards - if I were to do a Gladiator covered wagon top I'd do it the same way.

If I had a Gladiator here I'd make one of these tops for it, it would very useful to have and it would be be a fun sewing project.

Something like that would be perfect - how long would you need a Gladiator for? I think cab height is more to prevent gas mileage from tanking than worry it won't be stable or anything.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Something like that would be perfect - how long would you need a Gladiator for? I think cab height is more to prevent gas mileage from tanking than worry it won't be stable or anything.
Because of the way I designed the covered wagon top, having a Gladiator on hand wouldn't be necessary, all that would be needed would be a few key dimensions. The design has a base which the bows attach to; for the Gladiator the base will attach to the top rail of the bed with clamps like those used for tonneau covers. This makes the top easy to install/remove and doesn't require any drilling or modification of the Gladiator bed. When I made the cover for the trailer, I brought the base in the house and did all of the work in a spare room, here's a work in progress shot before the canvas panels were finished...

PsgrSideDone2_zpspde7pfox.jpg

In this next shot, the base has been installed on the trailer tub and the bows and canvas are ready to put in place - the bows are made the same way boat canopy bows are made and use marine hardware so they're quick and easy to snap into place - no tools required.

TopInstall_zpseq6sjjar.jpg

It's also possible to lift the entire top off in one piece, in this photo I had just removed the covered wagon top to install the hard cover on the trailer.

CoveredWagonOff_zps3yuaxk8z.jpg

It's a pretty flexible design - easy to install, based on common marine top hardware, it clamps to the top of the bed with no modifications and it's very quick to remove and collapse for storage when it's not needed.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
More ideas from India...

The Maruti Gypsy is a vehicle that's everywhere in India. Built in India in partnership with Suzuki, the Gypsy is a long wheelbase version of what we know in the US as the Suzuki Samurai. It was in production for 34 years and was discontinued a year or so ago, but there are many thousands still in military and police service and lots in private hands. It came with either a soft top or a fiberglass hardtop. The hardtop looks like this:

GypsyHardtop_zpsyavnldvn.jpg

It's tall in the back to allow troop-style longitudinal seats on each side in the back - seating for 4 with enough headroom.

Troopseats_zpsuhduj7en.jpg

BTW the Gypsy did have a rear barn door...

GypsyBarndoor2_zpsyrocmbma.jpg

I was wondering what a top like this might look like on a JK, so I did some image editing.

In this image, the basic Gypsy top has been stretched in the right places to fit on a JK 2dr:

JK2GypsyHardtop_zpsg6fojcrl.jpg

Might look better with a smaller rear window and Alpine windows above:

JK2GypsyHardtopAlpine_zpshv3tcffa.jpg

Or maybe with a more vertical back:

JK2GypsyHardtopAlpine2_zps93h6qw2q.jpg

A JKU version:

JKUGypsyHardtopAlpine_zps7nbsuvhb.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
One last idea from India...

The Maruti Gypsy soft top also has a raised rear section like the hardtop:

GypsySoftTop_zpsbfrd6fjz.jpg

A rough photo-edit of what a similar top might look like on a JK 2dr. I added Alpine windows...

JKGypsySoftTop_zpsuz61fhal.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm leaving India tonight to return to the US, I've got lots to do when I get back and not much time to do it. Next Thursday I'm leaving for Overland East - MORryde and Overland Outfitters have booths next to each other at the vendor expo there and they're both borrowing my JKU - the Jeep will be parked between their booths and outfitted with lots of MORryde products like the Trail Kitchen and Overhead Molle and also lots of Overland Outfitters products, plus my normal overlanding setup including the roof top tent. Overland Outfitters is also borrowing my prototype fiberglass Dinoot military replica trailer to transport and display a lot of their products, so that will be in their booth as well.

And speaking of Overland Outfitters, the other day they sent me an email with professional photos of their products that they've done for their web site. Here's an example, on the left is a photo I took of one of the Backpack bags in my Jeep, on the right is their professional photo, it's nice (for me at least) to see the professional photography.

WebsitePhoto1_zpssso0auhh.jpg

Also at the show a new trailer kitchen will debut - I've been helping a well-known adventure trailer company over the past six months with a design for a trailer kitchen. A unique design, this new kitchen mounts across the tongue of almost any trailer and includes the same features I designed into the MORryde Jeep Trail Kitchen - lots of table space, a fridge, a sink with running water, a place for a stove and extra storage space for kitchen and trail gear. Once it's debuted at the show I'll post photos. The company plans to offer the kitchen as an option for their trailers, but also plans to offer it to DIYers for their own trailer builds and hopes to work with other trailer companies to make it an option for the trailers from those companies as well.

Please stop by and say hi if you'll be at Overland East. I plan to spend a lot of time exploring the show but I'll be at their booths a lot too.

rubicon91

Explorer
I'm leaving India tonight to return to the US, I've got lots to do when I get back and not much time to do it. Next Thursday I'm leaving for Overland East - MORryde and Overland Outfitters have booths next to each other at the vendor expo there and they're both borrowing my JKU - the Jeep will be parked between their booths and outfitted with lots of MORryde products like the Trail Kitchen and Overhead Molle and also lots of Overland Outfitters products, plus my normal overlanding setup including the roof top tent. Overland Outfitters is also borrowing my prototype fiberglass Dinoot military replica trailer to transport and display a lot of their products, so that will be in their booth as well.

And speaking of Overland Outfitters, the other day they sent me an email with professional photos of their products that they've done for their web site. Here's an example, on the left is a photo I took of one of the Backpack bags in my Jeep, on the right is their professional photo, it's nice (for me at least) to see the professional photography.

WebsitePhoto1_zpssso0auhh.jpg

Also at the show a new trailer kitchen will debut - I've been helping a well-known adventure trailer company over the past six months with a design for a trailer kitchen. A unique design, this new kitchen mounts across the tongue of almost any trailer and includes the same features I designed into the MORryde Jeep Trail Kitchen - lots of table space, a fridge, a sink with running water, a place for a stove and extra storage space for kitchen and trail gear. Once it's debuted at the show I'll post photos. The company plans to offer the kitchen as an option for their trailers, but also plans to offer it to DIYers for their own trailer builds and hopes to work with other trailer companies to make it an option for the trailers from those companies as well.

Please stop by and say hi if you'll be at Overland East. I plan to spend a lot of time exploring the show but I'll be at their booths a lot too.

That is great news Jeff! Enjoy Expo I will be missing this year due to work schedule conflict. Hope the new venue is what is needed for East!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
That is great news Jeff! Enjoy Expo I will be missing this year due to work schedule conflict. Hope the new venue is what is needed for East!
Hey Donny,
Just got home, one of the top items on my to-do list was to call you to see if you're going to Overland East but you beat me to it. You will be missed!

Probably will come down to Ft Myers for Christmas with mom, see you then!
jeff

PS: I hope the new venue (and the weather) is better, but I'm bringing the mud boots I bought for last year just in case. :)

rubicon91

Explorer
Hey Donny,
Just got home, one of the top items on my to-do list was to call you to see if you're going to Overland East but you beat me to it. You will be missed!

Probably will come down to Ft Myers for Christmas with mom, see you then!
jeff

PS: I hope the new venue (and the weather) is better, but I'm bringing the mud boots I bought for last year just in case. :)

Yeah a little bummed to miss the event but it is what it is. Cannot have my assistant and me out of work at the same time. Definitely let me know when you are coming down here. As always it is great to catch up with you when you are here. Definitely bring those mud boots with you ha! Take care my friend.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader

Hey Jeff,
it will be great to catch up again at Expo.
Stop by my booth on Friday night, I'm hosting something a little special - it should be a laugh!

-Dan

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Hey Jeff,
it will be great to catch up again at Expo.
Stop by my booth on Friday night, I'm hosting something a little special - it should be a laugh!

-Dan
Hi Dan,
Definitely will stop by, but not sure if I can make it Friday night - since my Jeep is in the show I'm a prisoner of MORryde - they're my transportation to and from the hotel so I've got to go with them. Maybe I can get them to come along to your booth Friday night, I'll try. See you soon.
Jeff

jscherb

Expedition Leader
any update on the MORryde battery isolator for the back of a JK?
I've been out of the country for almost a month so I don't know the current status. I'll ask MORryde.
Got a quick answer from MORryde - the Power Panel is through engineering, tested and ready for production. The Charging System is done and has been in test in a Jeep for a while, just a few details to get it ready for production but nothing major. Holdup right now is pricing, a couple of the components have come in a bit higher than expected at the last minute making it a little challenging to hit the aggressive price targets I suggested to them.

No technical issues, the products both work great. The prototypes I built have been in both my JKU and LJ for over a year and they've worked perfectly; MORryde basically took my prototypes and did some production engineering on them to ready the design for manufacturing but they're basically copies (electrically at least) of the prototypes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles