Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Hey jsherb, has your kid got to drive his Jeep yet?
No, not yet. Robert lives in D.C. and his work hasn't allowed him time to come home yet, and my travel schedule has prevented me from making a trip to D.C. My other son Alex is coming home from Boston this weekend for a visit so Alex will get to drive it before Robert does. Robert better hope Alex doesn't get too attached to it :).

I'm getting kind of attached to it too, it drives like a brand new Jeep and the modular hardtop I installed on it yesterday is very cool.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few weeks ago my son Robert suggested a new idea for a spare cover. He was inspired by my Tactical Spare Cover design and suggested the Molle grid form the shape of an American flag, and the starfield of the flag be Velcro loop so patches could be stuck to it. Seemed like a cool idea, so yesterday I sewed one for him.

PatriotSpareCover1_zpsdfrmfnby.jpg

With a few things loaded on it:

PatriotSpareCover2_zpsfck6rp9c.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
In the last two days I participated in meetings with Overland Outfitters (the startup doing the new canvas/leather storage accessories) and two large Jeep accessories retailers. One of these retailers also sells the Outback Adventure Trailgater tailgate table and this retailer has already received a shipment of Cutlery/Tool Keepers for the JK Trailgater from OO. These views of the JK Trailgater Cutlery/Tool Keeper are from Donny's Jeep, I took them the last time I was visiting with Donny.

DonnyBlack3_zpsz9cdsvxw.jpg

DonnyTanTools3_zpsghypycjw.jpg

This retailer wants to also sell a JL version of the Cutlery/Tool Keeper so they gave me a JL Trailgater to work with. The JL Trailgater is a bit different from the JK version so a new version of the Cutlery/Tool Keeper is required; I'll be working on that over the next few days. I'll probably sew a prototype and I'll post photos of that when it's done. A JL Trailgater:

JLTrailgater_zpsfxkp2wb5.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Just off the sewing machine, a prototype Cutlery/Tool Keeper for the JL Trailgater tailgate table. I don't have a photo of it closed, but it closes just fine with the cutlery in there.

JLTrailgaterCutleryKeeperPrototype1_zpswujpizt1.jpg

JLTrailgaterCutleryKeeperPrototype1e_zpsxy5j1hjr.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Wednesday I received a package from Overland Outfitters, the startup I've been helping with some designs. I didn't open the package until this morning, one of the things in it was a preproduction cargo bag for tailgate racks.

ProdSample1_zpsmhzautyl.jpg

The bag comes with a storage bag, the cargo bag rolls up very small and goes in this storage bag when it's not in use. Easily can fit under a seat. The credit card is there for size comparison.

ProdSample1b_zpsyl47niyf.jpg

OO will be doing these bags in 3 sizes, to fit pretty much all of the tailgate racks on the market.

This is a photo of an earlier sample in the rack:

DesertCamo1_zpsjxnxn78r.jpg

And... Overland Outfitter's products (the startup I've been helping with some designs) are starting to show up on retailer's sites now... https://ok4wd.com/brands/overland-outfitters

OK4wdMay022019b_zps8abezumg.jpg

Retrofit Offroad is carrying OO products as well.

Full disclosure: I am not an employee of Overland Outfitters nor do I receive any compensation for helping them or for the products they sell. I helped them with product designs because it was fun and designing things is my hobby.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Work in progress:

LockBoxForm_zpstpx2qwbc.jpg

What's sitting behind the Overhead Molle panel is a form for molding a Lockbox for the panel. It'll look like this:

LockboxConcept1_zps4tu8j9uc.jpg

LockboxConcept2_zpsfwediuke.jpg

I plan to thermoform ABS plastic sheet over this form to create the box. The end result will be very similar to the Storegate tailgate compartment, which I did a few fears ago and is in production at MORryde.

PreproductionStoregate_zpsuwjfetxj.jpg

Presto88

Adventurer
I saw that Storegate on your LJ in Moab. I never really gave it much thought before, until I saw how casually and instinctively you set your can of soda in the cupholder cutout on top. It really looked convenient! I have a tailgate table already, but I'm going to have give some thought to some sort of convenient way to have a place to set a can or bottle....

Every time I see any of the stuff you make it gets me to thinking!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I saw that Storegate on your LJ in Moab. I never really gave it much thought before, until I saw how casually and instinctively you set your can of soda in the cupholder cutout on top. It really looked convenient! I have a tailgate table already, but I'm going to have give some thought to some sort of convenient way to have a place to set a can or bottle....

Every time I see any of the stuff you make it gets me to thinking!
Thank you very much :). Gets me to thinking too... I usually put more thought than fab work into everything I design - how will I use it, how will it install, how will it interact with other things I've got installed or planned, how will I build it in my home workshop so it doesn't look like a home workshop project... then I post the idea and work-in-progress photos so other people can add their suggestions to make the design even better. My projects are almost always more about design thought than fab work ;).

jgaz

Adventurer
I’m very interested in your process to make this latest design. I hope you document your work as you have in the past.

I have some experience vacuum forming. That work was making individual letters for use in commercial signage. I have never given any thought to how I’d do it in my home shop.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I’m very interested in your process to make this latest design. I hope you document your work as you have in the past.

I have some experience vacuum forming. That work was making individual letters for use in commercial signage. I have never given any thought to how I’d do it in my home shop.
Because this is such a large part and I don't have enough heat or vacuum at home to form it in one step, I'll be using more of a die press technique. For example - the jamb for the lid is recessed so I'll make a die slightly smaller than the recess that I'll use to force the heat-softened plastic into the recess. I'll try to take photos during the process to explain it.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I tested the fit of the Trail Kitchen in the 2dr this morning.

TrailKitchen2d1_zpsmiooyk88.jpg

TrailKitchen2d2_zpslfpuebho.jpg

TrailKitchen2d3_zpsejajwjwg.jpg

TrailKitchen2d4_zpszslkvz9v.jpg

There's still some good storage space between the front seats and the kitchen:

TrailKitchen2d5_zpskvl55zmi.jpg

It's possible to create a no-drill installation kit for the 2-door, if there's enough interest I'll recommend that to MORryde. Absent a no-drill kit though, all it would take is 2 nutserts in the floor (plus using one of the tie-down points already in the floor).

I've got two Trail Kitchens here; I installed the base kitchen with the Molle side panel rather than the full kitchen with enclosure and drawer unit, but everything would fit just like it does in the 4-door...

DrawersFinished1_zpsduxoyv8s.jpg

The sink could also be installed, there's plenty of room for a water supply on the front of the kitchen (or on the Overhead Molle panel).

ProtoSink1_zpsn7qskpp7.jpg

The kitchen will fit fine below the swung-down Molle panel.

2drOverheadMolle_zpsx1wdtqmd.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm seriously considering this unit. However, with all the overtime I'm forced to work currently, I'll never get to enjoy it. At least not any time soon!
Like yourself, I removed my rear seat, and belts years ago.
If possible, when you return home, could you post a photo of how it stores while not installed?

Thanks again!
After trying the Trail Kitchen in the 2dr this morning, I stored it in a corner of the garage. The Molle panel on the side swings down with the removal of 2 screws, so it's pretty compact.

KitchenStorage_zpsfnlhv1p3.jpg

Jurfie

Adventurer
Well, NOW you've caught my attention. For some reason, I assumed it would only fit in the 4-door.

So glad you've now got access to a 2-door to use as a test mule for new ideas!

I tested the fit of the Trail Kitchen in the 2dr this morning.

TrailKitchen2d3_zpsejajwjwg.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles