Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

Bobzdar

Observer
I've been working on some JL hardware designs... I don't have access to a JL so I went to the dealer, took a photo, scaled it 100% and printed myself a JL tailgate to use as a reference...

PrintedTailgate_zpse56mwrn2.jpg

These are prototypes of my first JL designs, I sent them to someone I know who has a JL to test them for me.

JLFirstPrototypes_zps4urubna1.jpg

The prototypes bolted right up and worked pretty well, I'll only be making a few small tweaks before these (and one other JL design that isn't pictured) can go into production.

I'd really be interested in the rotopax mount - I have one that bolts to the spare with a cutout for the rear view camera along with a 3.5 gallon fuelpax, but I think that solution is much more elegant and puts less stress on the tailgate. I was waiting for rotopax to release a hinge mounted one for the JL as they have one for the JK, but no idea if/when that'll happen.

Here was my trip this weekend - I did use the trail kitchen but didn't get any pictures of it in use.

DSCF1332.JPG

rubicon91

Explorer
The Mahindra Savari. It's a long wheelbase version of the Commander. It think it would make the ultimate overlander/camper.

I've been thinking about bringing a Savari over the the US and putting it on a more modern and lengthened Jeep chassis. They're not too expensive over here and it looks like I can get a container shipped from New Delhi to New York for a few thousand dollars.

I can post more Savari photos if people are interested.

Definitely post more Savari photos. I love those things and it would be awesome to bring one or two over to the US. I remember you telling me about this a while back. Those things look awesome!!

rubicon91

Explorer
I'd really be interested in the rotopax mount - I have one that bolts to the spare with a cutout for the rear view camera along with a 3.5 gallon fuelpax, but I think that solution is much more elegant and puts less stress on the tailgate. I was waiting for rotopax to release a hinge mounted one for the JL as they have one for the JK, but no idea if/when that'll happen.

Here was my trip this weekend - I did use the trail kitchen but didn't get any pictures of it in use.

View attachment 500848

That setup looks awesome!

jscherb

Expedition Leader

A company wants the JL Rotopax mount, HiLift mount and one other JL design I haven't posted yet, so hopefully all of these will be on the market soon.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Definitely post more Savari photos. I love those things and it would be awesome to bring one or two over to the US. I remember you telling me about this a while back. Those things look awesome!!
A few more Savari photos...

off road:

Savari_zpsg1upxtes.jpg

soft top:

SavariSoftTop_zpsole9mpev.jpg

removable hard top (very rare):

SavariHardtop2_zpsdf2mwfxe.jpg

in long distance taxi service (common in Rajasthan and the Himalayan states):

SavariTaxi2_zpscu6gx4qk.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
One thing that's not uncommon over here in India is seeing WWII-era Jeeps on the road. Thousands were brought here through Lend-Lease to support the British and Indian armies as well as to support the US troops in the CBI (China-Burma-India) theatre of operations. These Jeeps were left here and because transportation in India was scarce back then and roads were terrible/non-existent, Jeeps had a long life here and many are still on the road. Here's a Ford GPW I came across in Khajuraho. It's obviously been repainted and it's been "tarted up" a little (the Ford emblem on the windshield frame isn't original) but it itsn't too far from original equipment.

GPW1_zpsbqgcxcz0.jpg

GPW2_zpspfjdhohn.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A Mahindra Thar I came across in the Panna Tiger Reserve near Khajuraho. It's equipped with a raised bench seat in the back for tiger safari service. A Thar in a tiger reserve is not common, most of the "Jeeps" in safari service are actually Maruti Suzuki Gypsies (a long wheelbase version of the Samurai) that have two rows of raised bench seats in the back, they're actually longer than the Thar so better suited to parties going tiger hunting (hunting with cameras, not guns!). We were in the jungle in a Gypsy Friday night and Saturday. I've seen and shot tigers (with my camera!) on previous jungle expeditions in India but this time no tigers were spotted, but we did spot and photograph a leopard at night and lots of wildlife including elephants during the day.

TharPannaTigerReserve_zpsrettz3qz.jpg

TharPannaTigerReserve2_zps6lcldc7q.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few months ago I designed and sewed a cargo bag custom fit to the new MORryde Overland Rack, I posted about it at the time. The bag was in the rack at the SEMA Show and Overland East show and got many very nice comments from people at both shows.

PreShow4_zpsw45a6zwp.jpg

It came in very handy on the rainy trip back to NY from Overland East - I brought an extra passenger home from that show and didn't have enough space for the extra luggage inside the Jeep so the bag got a good test on the highway and in weather.

ReturnTrip1_zpsyfbrqbjw.jpg

The bag also works well on roof racks, I'm driving my LJ to Easter Jeep Safari and will probably use one on my roof rack for that trip.

A week ago I met with a manufacturer that sews for the military and asked them to sew a sample with the idea of getting the bag into production. Today I met with them and reviewed their first sample, which they did in desert digital camo. Here's the sample laid out on a table in their shop. The camo color is a little lighter in reality than it is in this cell phone photo.

DesertCamoSample1_zpsmbf4o5bl.jpg

The fabric is waterproof and UV-treated, the sewing is excellent and the seams will be heat-sealed against water entry (the seams on this first sample aren't heat-sealed). I asked for a very few minor tweaks and they'll sew another sample for me by the end of the week.

The price they quoted was lower than I expected, so these can end up at a nice retail price (but not sold by me, I don't sell anything). It's pretty likely these will get into production, a company has signed up for the design.

I've designed three different sizes which cover pretty much all of the tailgate/over-spare racks on the market, and I expect the company will offer all 3 sizes.

The company will have to decide what colors to offer. I did my original prototype in ACU camo and the preproduction sample I just got from the manufacturer is done in the desert digital shown fabric above.

What colors do you think would be good if these go into production? Camo of some kind? A solid color?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Input so far...

I’d like a solid black or a solid red. I’ve seen a blk/white/red kind of digital camo pattern that was really cool as well.

Please don’t do digicam. Just.... but a nice solid dark khaki would be nice.

Not sure red or red digital camo would be popular enough to be worth doing. Definitely think solid khaki would be good, that was on my list to recommend to the company. I guess black goes with anything, but it shows trail dust a lot more than khaki or many of the camo colors.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I heard from a retailer that's interested in carrying the Cargo Bags, he said he thinks black and khaki/Coyote tan would sell best. I'll recommend that to the company that will be producing them, and I think also I'll suggest they do a limited quantity of camo to test the interest in that. The company will be doing three sizes, which covers 14 different tailgate racks that are on the market (and all of the most popular racks).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Yesterday I visited a custom Jeep shop here in India called Green Army Motorsports. A designer at the shop is a friend of a friend and I was invited to come over to the shop to see what they're building and talk design.

The yellow and white ones in the photo below aren't JKs, they actually started out as older Mahindras (the yellow one I think is a '54) that have been completely rebuilt.

GreenArmy1_zpsm6qxfwek.jpg

In the next two photos the red one on the left is a brand new stock Mahindra Thar. The black one isn't a JK either, it's a Thar like the red one, modified with a custom body kit and custom hardtop.

GreenArmy2_zpsk5dzejii.jpg

GreenArmy3_zpsjszc1tna.jpg

This is a stock Mahindra Bolero:

Bolero1_zpsnnvmzuig.jpg

I included the Bolero photo because this next one isn't a JKU, it's a Mahindra Bolero with a custom body kit.

GreenArmy4_zpsw0d6q0xy.jpg

A story on the above "Wrangler": https://www.cartoq.com/mahindra-bolero-jeep-wrangler/amp/

If you're wondering why someone would want to convert a Bolero into a Wrangler since the Wrangler is now available in India, it's about cost. The Wrangler starts about about 65 lakh rupees (about $91k USD), and a brand new Bolero is 7k lakh and the conversion brings the total to about 15 lakh (about $21k USD).

Green Army Motorsports is just one of quite a few custom shops in India that do this kind of work, it seems to be a growing trend here.

cj-10

Love seeing all of these foreign 4x4's. How much does an importable Savari cost over there? It would be cool to see some of these in the US.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Love seeing all of these foreign 4x4's. How much does an importable Savari cost over there? It would be cool to see some of these in the US.
I've done a little looking around at used Savari prices and a decent one can be found for about $2500 USD, maybe a little more. A small container shipped from New Delhi to New York I think can be done for about $2000, so for about $5k plus whatever import duties are required a Savari could be on the ground here.

What I've been thinking about is buying a used Savari, finding a shop in India that will take the body off the chassis and putting the body in a container. I probably could make a deal that they'd do the labor in exchange for me giving them the chassis. Then I'd import it as auto parts instead of a complete vehicle, and put the body on a lengthened Wrangler frame. That would give me a US-legal Savari with mechanicals and parts that can be serviced anywhere in the US.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Anyone want a free MORryde Trail Kitchen, plus whatever other assorted MORryde gear it that makes sense to install on your JKU?

MORryde plans to be an exhibitor at this year's Overland West show in Flagstaff, Arizona and the usual Jeeps they use in shows aren't available this year so they're looking for someone who wants to have their Jeep displayed in the MORryde booth during the show. They'll want to show the full Trail Kitchen, and if it makes sense for your JKU, probably some other gear like the HD Tailgate Hinges and Tailgate Reinforcement, maybe some side mounts for jerry or Rotopax containers, and probably the new Overhead/Swing-Down Molle rack. Exact list of gear to be determined between you and MORryde, but definitely to include the full Trail Kitchen.

Overland West is May 17-19 in Flagstaff (Friday/Saturday/Sunday) and you'd need to show up Thusday to get the display set up before the show opens on Friday.

Anyone interested can contact Austin Conrad at MORryde, email probably works best because he travels a lot: Austin.Conrad@morryde.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles