Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Thank you for the additional info.
When you are done with some of your proof-of-concept designs, and have no plans to market these designs, would you consider posting a few more pictures of the details?
Maybe with the spare tire removed?
Thanks, as always, for sharing your designs, even in the prototype stage.
Happy to share. I'll post more photos as I build more accessories for this system.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
One thing that I'm taking away from looking at all of the great things you work on.....I need to learn how to sew!
My sewing machine is my second-favorite power tool :). There are so many things it can be used for on a Jeep - I've done customizations to a factory soft top, custom roll-up soft sides for my modular hardtops, a pop-up camper top for my Jeep-tub trailer, spare covers, cargo bags, Molle panels and many other things. I'm working on a new sewing project right now that I'll probably post about in a few days.

It doesn't take much investment to get started - my sewing machine is an early 60's medium-duty unit that can be had regularly on eBay for around $100 in good working condition. The old machines are all metal, much sturdier than today's low-cost plastic machines, and capable of sewing pretty much everything you might want to sew for a Jeep.

There are lots of videos online showing how to do certain things, for example how to sew a vinyl window into a soft top (well, actually into a boat top, but it's the same process), here's one great source: https://www.sailrite.com/How-To-Projects-Guides/Projects-and-Tips. If I knew more people were interested in sewing things for their Jeeps I could post some step-by-step projects to give people some examples to follow, but so far I haven't heard about too many Jeep people firing up a sewing machine.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Today an email arrived from JPFreek magazine announcing the availability of the Fall '18 issue. The magazine has been doing a military trailer build and they used a Trail Kitchen in it. This issue has a review of the Trail Kitchen:

JPFreekFall18e_zps3vl3ngpa.jpg

And a few pages later, this from MORryde:

JPFreekFall18a_zps68njrw78.jpg

Here's the link to the issue: https://currentissue.jpfreek.com/publication/?m=16482&l=1#{%22issue_id%22:544668,%22page%22:0}

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm getting ready to build Rotopax/Jerry can carriers for the tailgate cargo receiver project and I want to make sure the system can carry two Rotopax containers on each side. I don't want to pay $30 for a simple Rotopax extension (or wait for one to arrive in the mail), so I made one this morning. It's made from 1"-thick Trex deck material, cut to 3" x 4", a quick pass of the router to round the corners and holes drilled all the way through to accept through-bolts that thread into the original Rotopax stud.

RotopaxExtension_zpsbwniok8j.jpg

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A part of the storage bag designs I did for the startup company is a tailgate panel, the idea is that many of the bags they do could attach there. For example, the backpack bag, which attaches to the back of the seat, would also work on the tailgate, here's a concept image:

BackpackTailgate_zpszwbe0ut6.jpg

The tailgate panel is a variation of the Molle standard but designed to be stronger so the bags attached to it can hold a decent amount of weight. The dimensions of the grid differ slightly from a standard Molle panel to allow for wider/stronger webbing, but most Molle gear will still be compatible with it, maybe it should be called Molle-HD. This is a concept drawing I did during the design process:

TailgatePanel_zpsdtyd2euc.jpg

Over the past few days I sewed a rough proof-of-concept:

TailgatePanel1_zps9kepaclj.jpg

One unique feature of this panel is that it attaches to the tailgate with no drilling; it uses factory holes in the tailgate for attachment. It installs (or removes) in about a minute.

TailgatePanel2_zpskhjno3ul.jpg

I don't have any of the company's new design bags here to test with it yet, so here it is with a few Molle pouches.

TailgatePanel3_zps8kybgmlw.jpg

I plan to sew a second prototype to keep here for testing because I have to turn this one over to the company for them to use as a pattern for getting it into production.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Today was the first real use of the new tailgate-mount bicycle carrier. I'm in Florida and borrowed a bicycle from my sister so I can ride on Sanibel Island. I brought the new bike rack to test...

BikeRack6_zpse4gu9zat.jpg

Being able to open the tailgate without removing the bike or the rack is very convenient.

BikeRack7_zpsu8fjrca9.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here's a vote for more Jeep sewing projects!
What type of sewing projects are people interested in? I'm always open to new project ideas and if there's enough interest in the sewing techniques involved, I can do a step-by-step of the sewing process.

Every time I'm in Florida I get together with Donny (rubicon91) and we have a great evening talking Jeeps and usually good ideas come out of the evenings. Last evening was no exception, Donny had an excellent new product idea that requires sewing. I plan to sew a prototype when I get home from this trip; I'll probably post about it after I sew the prototype.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Continuing the construction of the tailgate cargo receiver system, today I made up container carriers. The parts are not "handed", the same parts can be installed on either the left or the right side. Either a jerry can tray or a Rotopax stud can be installed.

GateRcvrContainer2_zpsz6z77xu4.jpg

GateRcvrContainer1_zpsoy75hpys.jpg

They're adjustable, there's 6" vertical adjustment and 3" horizontal, so they can clear 38" spares and can mount higher if necessary. Because Rotopax mount in the center of the containers I've raised the driver's side mount to a higher position than the passenger side to balance the appearance with the jerry can. Both mounts are in the most inboard positions because I have a 32" spare, if I had a larger spare they could mount outboard 3" or 6" to clear the spare.

GateRcvrContainer3_zps5dgpfok6.jpg

No problem opening the tailgate, the jerry can clears the tail light.

GateRcvrContainer4_zps3a1dnvmk.jpg

I haven't painted the parts yet, once I do that I'll do some road testing.

Next I'll probably do a cargo rack mount but I've got a sewing project that I have to get done first.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Do you think there would be enough adjustability in this design for a fuel container to clear the tail light on a TJ/LJ?
Nice work, as always!
Thank you. Yes, on a TJ a jerry can or pair of Rotopax can clear the tail light. I just took two quick photos to simulate the clearance to demonstrate. In this photo the can would be mounted close to the spare (it's a 32"), and you can see it clears the tail light by a few inches. I've got the MORryde/Gr8Tops tailgate reinforcement installed along with the wide-swing HD hinges, which increases the clearance a bit, but you wouldn't want to hang jerry cans off an unreinforced TJ tailgate anyway.

TJJerrySim1_zpsv3e9ku13.jpg

If you had a larger spare, say a 35", the can could mount in an upper position so it swings above the tail light as below.

TJJerrySim2_zpstncbcomx.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94