Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A company sent me an A-Pillar switch console to test and review, in the left photo I'm holding it next to the factory a-pillar trim. It's got cutout locations for 4 switches, but maybe I'll put a pressure gauge in it to monitor my AirLift air bags. Right now the gauge is in the back inside by the tailgate, but maybe I'll move it up front so I can see it from the driver's seat.

APillarConsole_zpsz0zhdnhj.jpg

I installed it yesterday to verify that it fits properly:

APillarConsole2_zpsflqsjcaa.jpg

Since the company asked me to test and review it, when I get around to installing something in it I'll post a review and company info.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A production Trail Kitchen arrived today; all of the boxes in the truck are from MORryde and three of them contain a Trail Kitchen and all currently available options. They've also shipped me one more option that's still in a preproduction state, I need to test and verify that so they can move it into production so hopefully it'll arrive in the next few days.

MORrydeShipment_zpsp0gkf2vz.jpg

I'll open the boxes and begin setting up the kitchen later today.

Also in the photo leaning up against the garage door is some sheet metal I also picked up this morning to make another new option I've designed for the kitchen. My goal is to build a prototype over the next week so I can turn the design over to MORryde next Friday when I meet with them. I'll post photos as I build it over the next week.

Bobzdar

Observer
A production Trail Kitchen arrived today; all of the boxes in the truck are from MORryde and three of them contain a Trail Kitchen and all currently available options. They've also shipped me one more option that's still in a preproduction state, I need to test and verify that so they can move it into production so hopefully it'll arrive in the next few days.

Also in the photo leaning up against the garage door is some sheet metal I also picked up this morning to make another new option I've designed for the kitchen. My goal is to build a prototype over the next week so I can turn the design over to MORryde next Friday when I meet with them. I'll post photos as I build it over the next week.

Mine is showing up today as well, not sure if I'll have time to unbox and install tonight but I'm looking forward to seeing how it fits in my JL.

Lee_N

I got a suggestion to add optional Molle panels to the outside and inside of the hatch. Might look like this, it would be easy to do.

GullwingBlack4_zpskdmlltau.jpg
If you didn’t attach the molle panels to the door, what about one that secured to the roll bar just behind it? Tools and other gear could be secured on it and the door would make them readily accessible.

OregonJKU

Hi Jeff, I found the Trail Kitchen installation instructions on the MORryde site, and the instructions calls for drilling. Do you know if there will be a no-drill option?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Hi Jeff, I found the Trail Kitchen installation instructions on the MORryde site, and the instructions calls for drilling. Do you know if there will be a no-drill option?
Yes, there is a no-drill option. That's the option I mentioned in my post earlier today - they've shipped me a preproduction version of the no-drill option, it hasn't arrived yet. I'm to install, test and verify it so it can be cleared for production.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
If you didn’t attach the molle panels to the door, what about one that secured to the roll bar just behind it? Tools and other gear could be secured on it and the door would make them readily accessible.
Yes, that could be done. There are a bunch of ways it could be done - attached to the roll bar as you suggest, attached to the hatch as someone else suggested, or on the inside of the storage compartment that I designed as an option for it, it's one of the options pictured below.

HatchCompartments_zpsf6dv63jq.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The Trail Kitchen in the foreground is the production version that just arrived, the one in the background is the pre-production version. The pre-production one has the sink countertop (sink not installed in this photo) and the production one is equipped with the solid countertop. Both also have the optional small clip-on table and the side Molle grid/Rotopax mount. Both have the slide-out drawer, the production one is pictured with the countertop up for access to the drawer and the pre-production counter is down.

TwoKitchens_zpsohkawtt8.jpg

Another thing that was in today's shipment... a production set of JKU HD door hinges.

ProductionHingeBox_zpsy3vq5bnu.jpg

OregonJKU

Yes, there is a no-drill option. That's the option I mentioned in my post earlier today - they've shipped me a preproduction version of the no-drill option, it hasn't arrived yet. I'm to install, test and verify it so it can be cleared for production.
Hi Jeff, wonderful. Also, will the no-drill option work on both the driver and passenger sides?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Hi Jeff, wonderful. Also, will the no-drill option work on both the driver and passenger sides?
I don't know. The original no-drill installation kit that I designed and have been using since the beginning of the kitchen project can support mounting the kitchen on either side even though I've only had the kitchen mounted on the driver's side. MORryde decided to change the design of the no-drill installation kit and I haven't seen their design yet. When it shows up here I can answer your question. Hopefully it will arrive soon.

Bobzdar

Observer
Got mine today and unboxed it, first observation is holy crap this thing is substantial and well built. Probably be the weekend before I get a chance to install it in the JL, but I have a camping trip the following weekend so it'll definitely be installed. First impressions are very good, it is not cheap or flimsy in any way.

Unfortunately, neither of my camp stoves fit in the drawer, the reinforcement bars inside (that also appear to double as locators for the bars that hold the folding counter/sink up) are just barely too narrowly spaced to allow them to fit in. It's close enough I may be able to modify my Texsport stove slightly and get it to fit, but a little disappointing nonetheless as it's a pretty standard sized stove (same width as my Coleman) and if the bars were 1/4" farther out, either one would fit. Not a huge deal as I can pack other stuff in there, but it'd have been nice to have the stove right there.

Whaler

Adventurer
Jeff:
What do you think about the idea of leaving the window in place, just for cosmetic purposes. Somehow affix it to the hatch platform, so that it is on the underside when open? I agree with you that swing-down rather than gull-wing is more practical for the direction of opening the hatch.

Along those lines, I've always admired the flip-up hatch windows made for Land Cruisers by Kevin Rowland at wagongear: http://wagongear.com/shop/flip-up-hatch-window/ Great OEM look with improved functionality.

MattJ

Adventurer
Along those lines, I've always admired the flip-up hatch windows made for Land Cruisers by Kevin Rowland at wagongear: http://wagongear.com/shop/flip-up-hatch-window/ Great OEM look with improved functionality.

Looks great - I agree with you that it looks identical to the OEM, which really makes it a clever upgrade. Wonder if he's ever considered developing a similar product for the JK or JL? Maybe I should ask.

The Jeep brand is certainly has great sales momentum recently. Hopefully that motivates even more creative overlanding upgrades!

[EDIT] - read this, and figured it probably wasn't worth asking if Jeep products might be an option: Wagongear FAQ

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Now that I've got a production Trail Kitchen here I'm working on a few additional potential options. First up, an enclosure - this would allow storage on top of the kitchen. Since the fridge slides out, without an enclosure like this you can't really store stuff on top of the fridge, but this enclosure will be fixed and the fridge will slide out from under it. Here's a concept drawing:

EnclosureConcept1_zpstmq2cevt.jpg

The side will have a Molle grid/Rotopax mount. There is a side Molle grid/Rotopax mount that's already shipping, but it's attached to the fridge tray so it slides out with the frige. This one is fixed and doesn't slide out.

EnclosureConcept2_zpssaaxinnu.jpg

I've got the parts all laid out on the sheet metal; tomorrow I'll be cutting/bending/assembling a prototype enclosure.

Once I've got the enclosure prototype done, I'll be building a prototype drawer unit, it'll look something like this:

DrawerUnitConcept1_zpsqwzoqqqz.jpg

I'll probably make the bottom drawer the same height as the kitchen drawer so it could support a hinged tabletop just like the kitchen drawer, and both tabletops would be the same height. Probably another small drawer on top, and a larger one in the middle, although I haven't made a final decision on that.

My goal is to have both the enclosure and the drawer unit done by the middle of next week - I've got a meeting with MORryde next Friday and I plan to review these options with them then.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Today I made a prototype enclosure for the Trail Kitchen. I've got a few minor tweaks to make, and it needs to be painted, but it's mostly done. It's got a Molle Grid and Rotopax mounting position on the side.

The idea behind this is that in a very packed Jeep you'll be able to store things on top of the kitchen and still be able to pull the fridge out.

Enclosure4_zpss8lc5s6u.jpg

Enclosure5_zpsciw7biwa.jpg

I'll put this in the Jeep tomorrow - first thing tomorrow I'll be picking up a pre-production no-drill installation kit at UPS, so that'll go in first, then I'll install the kitchen with the enclosure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz