Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeff:
Here's a video showing how fast I can take the MORryde side trays off. It's really helpful since I put the trays on/off frequently, each time I switch between camping and off-roading. I know you don't like rivnuts, but do you think MORryde could make me a mounting plate with threaded holes as part of the base mounting plate? Would be super helpful. But I don't know if that adds a lot of manufacturing complexity or not. Thanks!

https://vimeo.com/243149104/32be404216

Matt,

Here's why I designed it the way I did:

1. I figured that most people who didn't want the mount on the Jeep when they didn't need to carry cans would remove the entire mount, which takes only seconds longer than your video showing removing just your tray with rivnuts.

2. Adding threaded holes to the mounting plate would increase the cost. I always weigh cost vs. functionality, and since I believed most people would remove the entire assembly, it didn't seem worth adding the cost of threaded holes to just remove the tray.

3. Also about increasing the cost, the threaded holes for the tray wouldn't be needed on the Rotopax version, so adding those threaded holes would also increase the cost of the Rotopax version since the base is the same for both. (And adding threaded holes for a Rotopax stud in addition to threaded holes for the can tray would increase the cost of both even more).

Knowing how MORryde's production process works, I don't think they'd be willing to make a special one-off version of the base for one person. Looks like your rivnuts work fine though, so aren't you all set?

Jeff

MattJ

Adventurer
Matt,

Here's why I designed it the way I did:

1. I figured that most people who didn't want the mount on the Jeep when they didn't need to carry cans would remove the entire mount, which takes only seconds longer than your video showing removing just your tray with rivnuts.

2. Adding threaded holes to the mounting plate would increase the cost. I always weigh cost vs. functionality, and since I believed most people would remove the entire assembly, it didn't seem worth adding the cost of threaded holes to just remove the tray.

3. Also about increasing the cost, the threaded holes for the tray wouldn't be needed on the Rotopax version, so adding those threaded holes would also increase the cost of the Rotopax version since the base is the same for both. (And adding threaded holes for a Rotopax stud in addition to threaded holes for the can tray would increase the cost of both even more).

Knowing how MORryde's production process works, I don't think they'd be willing to make a special one-off version of the base for one person. Looks like your rivnuts work fine though, so aren't you all set?

Jeff

Makes sense - thanks. For me, it's a much longer process to take the entire mounting plates on and off, since the bolts are different sizes, the alignment is a bit trickier, and I have a CB antenna mount installed in the slot that MORryde provided for that purpose. But you're right, the rivnuts work great. So I am all set.

And leaving the black mounting plates on at all times causes people to ask me what they're for, so I get to give a commercial pitch for the product!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Makes sense - thanks. For me, it's a much longer process to take the entire mounting plates on and off, since the bolts are different sizes, the alignment is a bit trickier, and I have a CB antenna mount installed in the slot that MORryde provided for that purpose. But you're right, the rivnuts work great. So I am all set.

And leaving the black mounting plates on at all times causes people to ask me what they're for, so I get to give a commercial pitch for the product!

Hey, if you're going to be a pitchman for the product, the least the company can to is give you a t-shirt and some stickers... PM me your address and I'll see if I can get them to send you some stuff.

TShirt_zpsalskn1u6.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
When I was at SEMA I posted a photo of a JL grille in the MOPAR booth and said that I was thinking of doing a "JL Grille Update Kit" for the JK, which would be a JL-style grille that would install in a JK. The JL grille at SEMA:

GrilleJL_zpsearu1ncc.jpg

I came across this photo of a JL yesterday:

JLGrille_zpsrhz3zefm.jpg

So I edited the grille from the photo above onto a recent photo of my Jeep. I added JK-style turn signals to the JL grille because a) I don't like the fender-mounted LED strips the JL has and b) even if I did like them on the factory fenders, they wouldn't look right on my retro-styled flat fenders.

JLGrilleSim1_zpscdwkj3qg.jpg

For comparison, here's the unedited photo of the factory grille (I removed the chrome "Jeep" letters from my grille when I installed the flat fenders):

FlatFendersFinal13_zpstfeehqho.jpg

As crude as my photoedit is, I like the look of a JL-style grille on the JK, especially with my Willys-style flat fenders. Seems like a project worth doing.

BTW, you can see that the JL grille slat protrude forward and have a bend in them, reminiscent of the YJ and even TJ grilles, but even if the only thing done is to make the slats taller, the same height as the JL slats, I think that looks better than the JK grille. Another photo edit, compare it to the unedited photo above:

TallerSlats_zpsudmoj5f5.jpg

en480c4

Observer
As crude as my photoedit is, I like the look of a JL-style grille on the JK, especially with my Willys-style flat fenders. Seems like a project worth doing.

BTW, you can see that the JL grille slat protrude forward and have a bend in them, reminiscent of the YJ and even TJ grilles, but even if the only thing done is to make the slats taller, the same height as the JL slats, I think that looks better than the JK grille. Another photo edit, compare it to the unedited photo above:

TallerSlats_zpsudmoj5f5.jpg

I agree the taller slats are a big improvement, but don't underestimate the impact of the headlight protruding into the outer slats. I think the nod to the CJ with that detail is worth keeping as well. For that to work on the JK grill, I'm assuming the slats will get wider as well as taller to take up enough real estate to intersect with the headlights. And for what it's worth, doing those two things and not incorporating the bend would be a best of both world situation.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I agree the taller slats are a big improvement, but don't underestimate the impact of the headlight protruding into the outer slats. I think the nod to the CJ with that detail is worth keeping as well. For that to work on the JK grill, I'm assuming the slats will get wider as well as taller to take up enough real estate to intersect with the headlights. And for what it's worth, doing those two things and not incorporating the bend would be a best of both world situation.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I agree that having the headlights intrude into the outer slats is the right thing to do, that would definitely be in my plan. I was thinking the bend would be necessary too, but you think just taller/wider slats and headlights protruding into the outer slats would be the best?

en480c4

Observer
I agree that having the headlights intrude into the outer slats is the right thing to do, that would definitely be in my plan. I was thinking the bend would be necessary too, but you think just taller/wider slats and headlights protruding into the outer slats would be the best?

It's hard for me to say until is the JL in person. A benefit I see to the bend is breaking up the big flat slab that is the JK grill. I didn't hate it in the YJ or TJ, but it's hard to tell if it would help or hinder on the JK since the scale is so different. I like the idea of the other changes and keeping it flat since it would be much subtler and arguably what the JK should've had. But the same argument could be made that the JK is the odd man out if the three models around it have that bend.

MattJ

Adventurer
Hey, if you're going to be a pitchman for the product, the least the company can to is give you a t-shirt and some stickers... PM me your address and I'll see if I can get them to send you some stuff.

TShirt_zpsalskn1u6.jpg

Thanks! PM on the way! Shirt looks GOOD . . .

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A preliminary design for the JL Grille Update Kit for the JK. As this printout sits on the grille it does not have the forward bend that the JL grille has - I could do the kit like this or I could add the forward bend.

JKGrilleDesign1_zpsaoxjobgv.jpg

For reference, the JL grille:

GrilleJL_zpsearu1ncc.jpg

Comments? The first step in this project is to get the design right on paper, then I can use the printout as a template for making the mold.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
One other change I might make is to move the marker lights inboard a bit. I've never liked them in their factory outboard position.

JKGrilleDesign1a_zpsemxse4si.jpg

for comparison, a factory grille.

FactoryGrille_zpszuwkurv9.jpg

en480c4

Observer
One other change I might make is to move the marker lights inboard a bit. I've never liked them in their factory outboard position.

for comparison, a factory grille.

FactoryGrille_zpszuwkurv9.jpg

I was going to suggest that with the market lights once I saw the first post... Then I scrolled down. I've never liked the factory locations either. Good call. I'd even consider a little inboard of headlight centerline.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Agree as well with moving them inboard. Is there any structure that would get in the way?
Wonder if there is any kind of a cool light update that could be used, in place of the stock light?
Something like a high power driving light/running light/turn signal combination.

On the grill, since it is such a larger opening, having the option of a grill screen would be a nice addition.
If that grill screen would also match a stock JL grill, that could be a big win.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Agree as well with moving them inboard. Is there any structure that would get in the way?

I was going to suggest that with the market lights once I saw the first post... Then I scrolled down. I've never liked the factory locations either. Good call. I'd even consider a little inboard of headlight centerline.

They can be moved an inch and a quarter inboard with no interference problems. Moving them 2" inboard, roughly as shown in my concept image, requires some minor trimming to the core support brackets, but nothing major that would compromise the core support brackets.

I have to pull the grille on my JK to see about moving them much more inboard of the centerline of the headlights, not sure how much trimming would be required for that.

Wonder if there is any kind of a cool light update that could be used, in place of the stock light?
Something like a high power driving light/running light/turn signal combination.
My goal would be for everything to look like it came from the factory, so unless some lights could be found that fit in the stock locations and looked stock, it wouldn't be something I'd want to do.

On the grill, since it is such a larger opening, having the option of a grill screen would be a nice addition.
If that grill screen would also match a stock JL grill, that could be a big win.
A grille screen would be part of my plans.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A concept image showing an approximation of what the JL Grille Kit might look like on my Jeep. This image has the marker lights moved inboard about 2" from the factory location.

GrilleSim1_zpsfjercq27.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A JL grille:

JLGrille_zpswv0jxqez.jpg

The JL Grille Kit for the JK preliminary design for comparison...

The JL grille is narrower at the bottom than the JK grille, and it doesn't have the marker lights in the grille, but the slats are fairly close in this first design exercise printout.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier