Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

zgfiredude

Jeff, thanks for taking the time for this post. Adding a fridge is next in my "vision", and I'll start by doing what you've done here for the power supply. Thanks again for doing this, much appreciated.

pith helmet

This is fantastic. I have been waiting in this since you posted the teaser the other day. I don’t know if I’ll ever implement it or not, but now I can’t say I don’t know how. I am pretty handy but auto electrics are one of black arts. Many thanks for all your efforts.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeff, thanks for taking the time for this post. Adding a fridge is next in my "vision", and I'll start by doing what you've done here for the power supply. Thanks again for doing this, much appreciated.
This is fantastic. I have been waiting in this since you posted the teaser the other day. I don’t know if I’ll ever implement it or not, but now I can’t say I don’t know how. I am pretty handy but auto electrics are one of black arts. Many thanks for all your efforts.

If you decide to go ahead with an implementation don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have along the way, I'll do my best to help.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
My travels today found me in a store that sold biker accessories (I wasn't there for the biker stuff, that's just something else they carried in addition to what I went there for). I saw this bag, and my first thought was that it was huge to carry in a bike. My second thought was that I wasn't a fan of the studded styling..

BikerBag1.jpg

My third thought was that it would be a good size to hang on a Jeep spare tire, so I did a photo edit:

BikerBag1a.jpg

The bag and the Jeep in the above photo are roughly the same scale.

I would never suggest a studded design like this for a Jeep, but what was interesting about the bag is that it was made out of a waterproof faux leather/vinyl with a stiffening backing, so the bag held its shape very well.

A year or so ago I made spare tire cargo bags for my Jeeps out of used soft top fabric. The bag on the LJ is made from really nice JK premium soft top fabric and the spice bag is made from standard soft top fabric.

TrashHopperLJ1Black_zpsh8lr9v7v.jpg

TrashHopperJK1_zpstuk7j28n.jpg

Both of those bags have been on my Jeep all seasons for about two years now and they're very handy. I've never suggested them to be production products because the soft top fabric is very expensive - at the price the bags would have to be I don't think many would be sold. But if I can find the stiffened faux leather/vinyl that the biker bag is made from, maybe a bag like one of these could make sense.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Back in December I posted that I started to make door pockets for the rear doors of the JKU: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...factory-hardtops.127687/page-330#post-2983346. I posted this photo of a preliminary pattern I made:

DuraSkrimMockup.jpg

I showed the pattern photo to OO and they thought it was a good idea so I suggested that they take my pattern and sew some prototypes themselves, saving me the work of sewing a pair for my own Jeep :). They agreed, and today they emailed me these photos of their pattern prototype...

PatternProtoypes.jpg

It's not final - the open pocket is a bit lower at the bottom than the pocket with the flap and the flap on the pocket needs to be leather but it is a very good fit on the JKU rear door panel - it's hard to tell in the photos but it's actually mounted on the bottom section of a JKU inner door panel. They'll correct the pocket depth and sew a pair of prototypes for me to install on my JKU to verify the fit. Hopefully I'll have them in a week or two. When I get them I'll install them in my JKU and post photos.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Sometimes I get to listen in to calls or join meetings that companies that have picked up my designs are having with resellers. Both MORryde and Overland Outfitters products are carried by Quadratec and over the years I've been invited to listen in to calls and meetings with both of those companies and Quadratec.

These calls are fascinating to me because the folks at Quadratec really know their stuff and they're happy to share what they know. I always learn something about the market and market trends, what's hot in the market and many other things. It was in one of those calls in 2019 when Quadratec revealed their "YJL" aniversary build and the idea came up do custom mounts for OO bags on the back of the Corbeau seats they were using in that build. I designed Zip & Go mounts for Quadratec for those Corbeau seats and ever since their YJL debuted, it's had OO Zip & Go bags hanging on the seat backs.

I was invited to listen in to a call Friday between Quadratec and OO. As always I learned a lot about market trends. OO and QT have an excellent relationship and there was a lot of discussion about more things the two companies could do together but that's not for me to post about. Quadratec also asked if I would design a particular accessory for a soon-to-be-released Quadratec product; of course I said I'd be happy to and I'll post more info as that develops (and as I'm allowed to).

And... occasionally companies send me photos that their customers have sent them. Got this set of photos today from OO, a customer with a red JKU apparently bought red Grab Bar pockets, door pockets (looks like they haven't put anything in the pocket so far, it's still flat from shipping) and a pair of Backpack Messenger bags for the seat backs. It's always fun for me to see how people are using things.

RedJKUAll.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
In one of my favorite surplus stores the other day I found this military surplus waterproof bag for $12.50. Couldn't resist picking it up because it looks like it could be great for extra weatherproof storage up on the rack. It's very large and slightly wider than my rack basket. In this photo it's sitting on my front rack extension on the workbench:

SuplusBag1.jpg

The only problem is that the closure end (below right) is designed for a drawstring, which won't be weatherproof. Since it's a little wider than the rack, there's enough extra fabric for my to modify the closure to close in a more weatherproof way.

SuplusBag2.jpg

Once the end closure is redesigned/resewn, this will be a great place for some extra storage up top.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
When companies pick up products that I've designed and put them in production, they usually send me one or more production samples for my own use. I've got more spare MORryde hardware here than I know what to do with and Overland Outfitters sends me plenty of samples too. When OO put the Roll Bar Buddies in production (https://www.overland-outfitters.com/store/p58/Roll_Bar_Buddies.html#/), they sent me a bunch of them - enough for a pair in each of my 3 Jeeps plus a few extra.

I've been thinking about the extra ones I have lying around and yesterday I decided to redesign one - the Pocket Buddies have two pockets and attach to the roll bars - I unsewed one and resewed one pocket to attach to the side of the center console. The way I've designed it, it clips in place with no drilling, so it's easy to install and can be removed without damaging anything if desired.

In the JKU:

ConsoleBuddyJK.jpg

In the LJ:

ConsoleBuddyLJ.jpg

It'll work in the JL and Gladiator as well, but to get those photos I'd have to drive down to the Jeep dealer and I didn't have time to do that yesterday.

It seems like it would be very handy, but there's one issue with it - in the right side photos above, the seats are slid about halfway forward; further than that and the pocket becomes inaccessible and if it's packed full of stuff could get in the way of the seat sliding further forward.

How far forward do you keep your seats? Mine are pretty much always all the way back so there would never be a problem in my Jeep but if a lot of people use their seats more than halfway forward this probably wouldn't work for them. If the consensus is that seats used more than halfway forward are not common, I'll suggest this idea to OO. If lots of people use their seats further forward I'll just keep these for my own use :).

Let me know what you think.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I think Q tech offers a Molle panel for consoles. Very similar to your above concept.
I've seen a few console-side MOLLE products but I didn't really care for any of them because all of the ones I've seen require drilling or adhesive for installation. What I did yesterday installs with no drilling or adhesive, it just clips in place. I also didn't care for having a metal MOLLE grid where legs could bump into it, seems like a hazard on a rough trail.

A while back I did a console-side MOLLE panel which used the same clip-on design. It worked well but I never did anything with it, I just didn't like MOLLE pouches there.

ConsoleMolle1.jpg

ConsoleMolle2.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
One of the main reasons I installed power outlets on the roof of the JKU (and installation in process on the LJ) was to make it easy to test new things and change the configuration of the things on the rack easily for different expeditions and uses.

Some years ago I came across a line of modular LEDs at the SEMA Show: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...tops?p=2195385&highlight=sema+led#post2195385. They were very powerful for their size, putting out about 1000 lumens per pod (standard low beam headlights are about 1100 lumens). Retrofit Offroad picked them up and offered them for sale for a while.
Individual pods:

SingleLEDs(1).jpg

A 20" light bar on a hood mount and a 50" on a windshield mount (on Retrofit's JKU):

LightBars.jpg

Back then I designed a range of mounts for single and multiple pods and turned the designs over to Retrofit Offroad, which they marketed under the Multipod name. I don't recall if they ever marketed the brackets but they did sell the light pods.

MultiPodSystem.jpg

I've still got a bunch of the pods here from my testing and from developing the mounts but I never had a reason to use any of them on my Jeeps. I came across a modular light bar version of them the other day that I had forgotten about; I tested it back then but after I finished testing I put it away because I didn't need it on any of my Jeeps.

I decided to give the light bars a test on the rack so I made rack mounting brackets for them. Rather then install it as a single 20" bar, I split it into two 10" bars. The Auxbeam 3" lights I tested a while back are still installed on the rack; I installed the light bars inboard of them.

LightbarBrackets.jpg

LightbarBrackets6.jpg

LightbarBrackets5.jpg

LightbarBrackets7.jpg

LightbarBrackets8.jpg

I wired them with an SAE plug so they can plug directly into the rooftop power outlets. The next time I have the rack on the Jeep I'll compare the light bars and the Auxbeams in the dark. The Auxbeam 3" lights are billed as 9600 lumens each and each 10" light bar is 5000 lumens so the Auxbeams might provide better visibility but I'll test both to see which is best. I'm not really a fan of the "light bar look" so after testing I'll probably just take the light bars off and leave the smaller Auxbeams in place.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Yesterday a package arrived from OO and in it was two sets of prepropduction sample JKU rear door pockets. They asked me to verify the fit, so I installed one this morning.

JKRearDoorPocketsSample1b.jpg

JKRearDoorPocketsSample1a.jpg

I have one small tweak I'm going to suggest but other than that they fit great and add a lot of convenient storage for back seat passengers. There are two pockets, one with an open top and one with a leather flap, plus the factory pocket is still usable behind (the faux tablet is in the factory pocket in the photos above) and the factory pocket won't sag with the new door pockets in place in front of it.

Also in the package was something I wasn't expecting. In December I designed and sewed an insulated bag I called the "Cool Roll", I posted about it back then (https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...factory-hardtops.127687/page-331#post-2985168). It's insulated and intended to hold drinks or other cold items, the idea was that it could keep drinks cold for a trail run without the need to carry a larger cooler. It hangs on the seat back. I've used it quite a bit since then and it's pretty handy. I sent a photo of it to OO in December when I finished sewing it but didn't send dimensions or any other details so I didn't expect that they would be making it. This was in the package yesterday:

CoolRollSample1JK1.jpg

CoolRollSample1JK2.jpg

CoolRollSampleWithDrinks.jpg

The dimensions are a little bit different from my prototype but it's a good size as they've done it. Construction quality is great and makes my sewing on my prototype look embarrassing. They didn't say if they were going to put it in production, maybe they sent it to me as a present to thank me for agreeing to let them borrow my Jeep for some shows this year.

jgaz

Adventurer
Your door pocket design(s) should have been at least a factory option from the start.
Let’s hope someone at Jeep monitors your threads, if they don’t they are missing the boat.

Jeep needs to continue to step up their game in light of the recent completion from the Bronco.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94