Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Trying another type of first aid kit on the headrest... a surplus Molle IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit).

IFAK_zps7thm2qjz.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Travel has interrupted my tailgate table project several times so progress is slow. I'll be back home next week so I hope to get back on the project then.

When I last worked on it I finished the mounting of the base panels to the tailgates. There's a JK version and a JL version, and both attach to the tailgate using factory holes - no drilling.

TableBases_zpsjzdunz0v.jpg

These are the requirements for the table design:

• Slide out cutting board to increase work space.
  • Room for an Overland Outfitters Cutlery Keeper behind the stowed table (http://www.overland-outfitters.com/...ure's_TRAILGATER_(JK_Wrangler_'07-'18).html#/).
  • Molle panel. Two requirements for the panel are:
    • Things hanging on the panel can't interfere with the use of the table.
    • Things hanging on the panel to be easily accessible when the table is in both the up and the down positions.
  • Quick/easy deployment/stowing.
  • Larger table space than anything currently available.
  • No-drill installation (this requirement already met by the base panels)

As far as I know, there's no tailgate table on the market that meets all of those requirements. Have I missed something on the market that does meet them all?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
One thing I don't like about the metal Molle panels that are on the market is that they're designed for Molle gear. OK, I like that they're designed for Molle gear, but what I don't like is that they're not designed for anything else. It's very easy to make them so they support other types of gear - here's the Molle panel design I'll be implementing for the new tailgate table (this concept image is a JL tailgate but the same panel will be used on the JK tailgate as well):

MollePanel1_zpscbnxisho.jpg

In addition to slots for Molle gear, there are three locations for Rotopax mounts and the rows of small round holes are for things like Quickfist clamps (https://www.quickfist.com/).

Some possible uses of this design include:

• Two one-gallon Rotopax water containers and a Molle bag (fuel containers would fit too but I don't recommend them in the cockpit)/
  • One two-gallon Rotopax water container and a Molle bag.
  • Molle gear, and tools (in this case a shovel) mounted with Quickfist clamps.

MollePanel1a_zps79oyer9h.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A new sewing project... I'm in Florida visiting Mom and as always when I'm here, Donny and I got together for an evening to talk Jeeps. Donny recently bought a used 2dr JK and it came with seat covers that he didn't really want so he generously donated them to my new sewing project.

DonnyCovers_zpssezwcusz.jpg

I plan to disassemble them seam-by-seam and use the resulting parts as patterns for sewing some higher-style, higher-quality covers in leather and tweed or heavy cotton duck. Here's a quick and rough idea of what I'm thinking, I drew this concept a few months ago when I was first thinking about doing this project. The colors aren't right and the panels don't match these seat covers, but hopefully you'll get the idea:

SeatCoverConcept_zpsrd1bzr4j.jpg

A final version would have leather and canvas in colors more like this:

Backpack2dr1_zps0egl1lfi.jpg

I'll probably do the first set using Spice soft top fabric instead of leather because I've got plenty of Spice on hand and it matches the hardtop color. For the cloth panels I'll use the same tan cotton duck I've been using to sew prototypes for Overland Outfitters. I also plan to make a few improvements to the fit so they'll look more like real upholstery than covers.

He's also got the rear covers for the 2dr but I didn't take them now, I'll see how the first set of fronts turn out before doing the rear.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Over the past 6 months or so I've been doing some designs in fabric and leather for a startup company called Overland Outfitters. Their web site is http://www.overland-outfitters.com. Their products are starting to show up at retailers - OK4WD recently added a bunch to their catalog: https://ok4wd.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=overland+outfitters

And Retrofit Offroad recently introduced the door hinge steps I designed to go with the MORryde HD door hinges (Retrofit sells the door hinges too). http://www.retrofitoffroad.com/prod...angler-2007-2015/morryde-jeep-jk-door-hinges/. Another accessory for the door hinges - soon MORryde will be releasing a HiLift carrier that mount to the door hinges. Not sure yet if the door hinge Rotopax mount will go into production somewhere.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I power my Trail Kitchen (fridge and sink pump) with a deep cycle battery mounted in the back near the kitchen and I keep it charged with a preproduction MORryde Charging System, but there are other ways to provide power. An article just showed up in the Canadian 4WDrive magazine featuring the Dometic PLB40 lithium-ion power pack in use with the Trail Kitchen.

4WDriveDometicPLB40_zpskfiurjau.jpg

The Dometic battery retails for about $850 and is said to provide up to 40 hours of power.

40 hours is a bit less than I get from my deep cycle battery.

My deep cycle battery cost less than $100 at Walmart and adding in what the cost of the MORryde charging system will be when released the cost of the battery plus the Charging System will about 1/4 of the cost of the Dometic, but for some people the Dometic might be the right solution.

MattJ

Adventurer
I love the Dometic PLB40! Brings the indoors outdoors. A glamper's dream. I think we are powering two fridges, a huge Bluetooth music speaker and charging a couple iPhones in this photo. Goes for days and days. Wish it had been released before I installed my Genesis dual battery system. Much easier and more portable solution.

y4m1lwD5w7iLFFFFyMxHJTvefNt6Twy-grRRBYRGVwmRnvESNFKoTdagN3eGv4arxJ-ASO6abV-bLidGBc8RwXF-PVaDHvTDIXCFzTOjUwpfE4hr5PAPR4NXi_8rCKcS7irmeMiXdW347-FMe8Y5SQJoKRb_eQFeBjO8VTfXCqPgSL2IV2dqyI_-CWte5-e2IOgbC1Z76rKngr8UagN0VoZwg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Work-in-progress on the Overland Tailgate Table... I made the table from marine-grade stainless steel (316). The slide-out cutting board for the prototype is from Ikea, I haven't taken the wrapper off it yet to keep it clean while I'm working on the components. The same parts are designed to work with both JK or JL tailgates. The parts are just mocked up in front of the tailgates in these photos, next I'll make the hardware to mount/hinge/support/latch the table and then I'll do the Molle panel and its mounting/hinging/latching hardware.

TableMockupJK_zpsddw23odl.jpg

TableMockupJL_zpspiwqx7mg.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Dometic to the rescue... yesterday my home refrigerator stopped being cold. Until I can solve that problem my two Dometic 35's have plenty of capacity for the critical stuff from the house fridge.

DometicRescue_zpsctqjnena.jpg

Luckily I have two of them. Dometic gave me the blue one 2 1/2 years ago and having it caused me to design the Trail Kitchen. Then last year when they switched from blue to gray, they decided since my Jeep (with their fridge) was being used by MORryde in shows that they'd rather have the new gray model on display so they sent me that one. This morning I was very glad to have both :).

Thank you Dometic.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few weeks ago I molded a JL-Style Grille for the JK and sent it off to a plastics molding company for them to begin the process of making a mold to form the grilles in plastic for production. I have no plans to bring the grille (or anything else) to market myself - I'm not the business of selling anything, but I did this on behalf of a company that wants to bring the grille to market, they're hoping to make them available soon.

A few work-in-progress photos from the plastics company...

FormWIP1_zpsiltbwlpt.jpg

TusknRaidr

Work-in-progress on the Overland Tailgate Table... I made the table from marine-grade stainless steel (316). The slide-out cutting board for the prototype is from Ikea, I haven't taken the wrapper off it yet to keep it clean while I'm working on the components. The same parts are designed to work with both JK or JL tailgates. The parts are just mocked up in front of the tailgates in these photos, next I'll make the hardware to mount/hinge/support/latch the table and then I'll do the Molle panel and its mounting/hinging/latching hardware.

TableMockupJK_zpsddw23odl.jpg

TableMockupJL_zpspiwqx7mg.jpg

These are so cool. I’d love something like this for cooking at camp.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
These are so cool. I’d love something like this for cooking at camp.

There are quite a few tailgate tables on the market, starting at less than $100 on eBay and going up to several hundred dollars so if you would like one for cooking at camp there are lots to pick from.

What I'm doing with my design is something different though, every table that I'm aware of that includes a Molle grid makes the gear on the grid inaccessible when the table is open, most are like the one pictured below and the gear is under the table when the table is open and in the case of the one pictured below the grid and straps form an irregular table surface:

Jeep-Springtail-MPAC-3.jpg

My design allows full use of the table, has a smooth table surface and has the Molle gear fully accessible whether the tailgate is stowed or deployed, so I think it will be more useful than the others on the market.

Also many of them require drilling into the tailgate for installation, which really isn't necessary because there are several ways to attach to both the JK and JL tailgate without drilling and my design installs without drilling.

Last edited:

TusknRaidr

There are quite a few tailgate tables on the market, starting at less than $100 on eBay and going up to several hundred dollars so if you would like one for cooking at camp there are lots to pick from.

What I'm doing with my design is something different though, every table that I'm aware of that includes a Molle grid makes the gear on the grid inaccessible when the table is open, most are like this one and the gear is under the table when the table is open and in the case of the one pictured below the grid and straps form an irregular table surface:

Jeep-Springtail-MPAC-3.jpg

My design allows full use of the table, has a smooth table surface and has the Molle gear fully accessible whether the tailgate is stowed or deployed, so I think it will be more useful than the others on the market.

Also many of them require drilling into the tailgate for installation, which really isn't necessary because there are several ways to attach to both the JK and JL tailgate without drilling and my design installs without drilling.

Gotcha. That’s a pretty great design. You’ve got some awesome stuff going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles