Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Took some more photos and video of Donny's barn door this afternoon.

(The above video is very sharp when viewed on Youtube for for some reason when I view it in the thread it's not so sharp - if anyone has that problem view it directly on Youtube.)

DonnyFinal1_zpsjablnjkj.jpg

DonnyFinal4_zpsatc7lqex.jpg

DonnyFinal5_zpsv3da3ye4.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Found myself parked beside a JL today in Indiana. Coincidentally, one of the reasons I'm in Indiana is to meet with a plastics molding company on behalf of the person who is working to bring the grille to market.

Feb19Indiana_zpsitsv5en3.jpg

I'm also meeting with MORryde about the new Jeep products they currently have in engineering, I'll report on that after the meeting.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader

Yes, I am familiar with it.

The design goals for that one are different from mine - Fiberwerx is trying to create an exact replica JL grille plus a hood and fender kit so you can make your JK look as much like a JL as possible. Their grille, for example, doesn't include any provision for mounting the turn signals - that's in their matching fender kit.

My goal was to design a grille for the JK that had some of the look of the new JL grille, but was styled to better fit the styling of the JK, and to support JK features such as the turn signals in the grille (although I moved my turn signals inboard a bit to be more reminiscent of earlier Jeeps).

My grille also has molded-in inserts in the slots and headlight buckets, which I painted silver. The Fiberwerx grille doesn't have inserts or any provision for them, so if you want the no-insert look you're good. I wanted a little more styling detail in my grille, which is why I molded the inserts in.

That grille also seems to have some quality issues, here's a post in another forum from November for anyone who's interested in more info it... https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jl-style-grille-for-jk-2211985-26.html#post34029353

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Found myself parked beside a JL today in Indiana. Coincidentally, one of the reasons I'm in Indiana is to meet with a plastics molding company on behalf of the person who is working to bring the grille to market.

Feb19Indiana_zpsitsv5en3.jpg

Wow, that's a really cool comparison photo. It's actually hard for me to tell which one is the JL and what the differences are to the JK
(Though I have yet to see a JL in real life, so I'm not good at seeing the differences. They're thin on the ground in Africa :) )

Keep it up!

-Dan

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Wow, that's a really cool comparison photo. It's actually hard for me to tell which one is the JL and what the differences are to the JK
(Though I have yet to see a JL in real life, so I'm not good at seeing the differences. They're thin on the ground in Africa :) )

Keep it up!

-Dan
Hi Dan,
Nice to hear from you and thank you for the kind words.

The spotting feature I use: the goofy daytime running lights/turn signals in the fenders on the JL.
jeff

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Had a great meeting with MORryde Tuesday - we reviewed progress on upcoming products and worked on plans for shows for the year. A product update I can give is that the Overhead/Swing-Down Molle Panel should be in production within a month, and the retail price looks like it's going to be less than $200. I took this spy photo will my cell phone, it's the panel in a MORryde employee's Jeep for testing. I asked for two very small engineering changes but other than that it's ready to go and got my blessing.

SpyPhoto1_zpsqdiut8xs.jpg

About the show plans - there are one or possibly two shows where they'll need to find a Jeep for their booth because one of my Jeeps or one of the others they regularly use won't be available so I suggested we ask for volunteers from the forum. Volunteers would any of the gear installed in the Jeep for the show for free - a Trail Kitchen, the overhead panel above, probably a tailgate reinforcement and Overland Rack and more. When they confirm their show plans and decide whether they need a volunteer Jeep or two I'll let people know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior