Bargain Bridging Ladders

emmodg

Adventurer
We got a bunch of 10' sections of surplus Marshall-matting (Marsden-matting) and cut it into 5' lengths. I forget the cost but I know it was less that $30 per 10' section.(We got A LOT of it!)

We have some MAXTRAX and they're pretty good. You can't bridge with them unless you support them and they will melt if you get too much wheelspin - they are great in sand and not-so-deep mud.

We also use the fiber turkey-farm flooring - 2" thick by 18" or 20" wide(?) - it bridges but makes some spookey sounds like it's gonna explode! It's also heavy!

We just got some new mats that are made from what looks like heavy duty cutting board with a bunch of bolts in one side and some angle iron bolted to it on the other side. They're heavy and really don't do a lot more than aircraft mat.

Aircraft mat is my favorite - it can bridge with some support and it works well in sand and mud and it's light! If you bend it - just bend it back!

stevo

Observer
Bridging ladders

I also like the Marsden Matting-really heavy duty! I posted a small article on this forum back on 7-15-11 if you would care to see.
Cheers, Stevo

carbon60

Explorer
Latest advice?

Where is the latest place to get something for bridging?

I've read through all the various reviews of Maxtrax, TRED et al and feel that I really need bridging material more than traction aid material. I'm concerned about getting over steep washouts in the trail, where there are millions of trees around to winch from.

What's the difference between aluminium and fiberglass for this application?

Thanks,

A.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Fiberglass likes to splinter, and weakens over time. Each set may cost less than metal, but you will end up purchasing more of them over time. It will depend on how often you use them. Have you looked into the PSP(steel?) It is FAR stronger than aluminum, but slightly heavier. Also, hovercraft ******!

carbon60

Explorer
Fiberglass likes to splinter, and weakens over time. Each set may cost less than metal, but you will end up purchasing more of them over time. It will depend on how often you use them. Have you looked into the PSP(steel?) It is FAR stronger than aluminum, but slightly heavier. Also, hovercraft ******!

Trying to avoid steel as it will have live on the outside of my truck and I'm in Rustland.

Just need to find a source for aluminum bridging ladders, now, which seems difficult if I don't want to pay zillions. I'm going to try and get a local fabricator to make some, next.

A.

libarata

Expedition Leader
You could rhinoline the steel, or whatever equivalent you can find. Or, an even more affordable way about it, is to carry a can of spray paint

stevo

Observer
Bargain bridging ladders

Howdy all,
I submitted a post back in July, 2011 about my use of the Marsden Matting for sand mats and temporary bridges. While somewhat heavy (approx. 28 lbs.each) they are VERY STRONG and VERY HEAVY DUTY. They suited my purpose and they were quite cheap. I hope this info is helpful to someone.
Cheers, Stevo

carbon60

Explorer
Howdy all,
I submitted a post back in July, 2011 about my use of the Marsden Matting for sand mats and temporary bridges. While somewhat heavy (approx. 28 lbs.each) they are VERY STRONG and VERY HEAVY DUTY. They suited my purpose and they were quite cheap. I hope this info is helpful to someone.
Cheers, Stevo

I will give them a try if I can find some around here, so far no luck.

A.

Mobryan

Adventurer
I don't know about your side of the border, but you might make a few calls around Watertown and Plattsburgh. It's been a few years, but I remember seeing a pretty good surplus yard up there. Could have filled a 48' trailer with stuff if only I could have explained it to dispatch ;)

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles