Bargain Bridging Ladders II

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
I saw an earlier post from 2008 on bargain bridging ladders made from grating that came back to life not to long ago.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/17223-Bargain-Bridging-Ladders

I guess I missed it first time around. Here's a fresh start along the same idea with a method to carry them on top of a trailer.

I got up my bargain fiberglass grating ladders from a company in Houston that I've done business with for years, AIMS International (281) 590-3240 or on the web at http://www.aims-intl.com Michael Smith is a good contact. I picked mine up from their shop up near Bush Intercontinental Airport. Price will depend on what size you want and where it gets shipped. Make sure you ask for used grating. They don't always have it but there was a good stack when I stopped by.

I decided on 2" grating from their used grating pile and had it cut to 4' long by 18" wide. Put a bevel on one end to help the tires walk up on it without trying to tip the panel up.

RampFrontView.jpg

Here's a few photos of a test to show deflection. The 18" wide helps carry the load better than 12" wide and gives you an easier target to hit too. With the jeep on the middle deflection was only 1/2".

RampLevel.jpg

RampDeflections.jpg

Another reason I went with 18" wide is that 2 of them fit nicely on the roof of the trailer under the racks.

PanelsonTrailer.jpg

PanelsStrappedIn.jpg

I built a retainer bar out of 2x2 with some strategically placed blocks that fit in the grating openings. It keeps them spaced properly and prevents them from sliding.

PanelKeeper.jpg

There is a similar board for the other end but with no blocks. One strap around the whole assembly keeps everything in place so they are quick to deploy. I have some small wooden wedges that insert above the panels and keep them from bouncing vertically.

PanelsatBack.jpg

The photos are with the tent off of the trailer. It works just about the same with the tent on the trailer, but the boards I have shown to keep the panels off the roof get replaced with thinner strips of rubber matting so that there is room for the bolts that hold the tent to the roof rack to stick through. The rubber mat strips can also be used to keep the ramps from sliding as much if they are deployed on rock.

West20120838.jpg

I haven't had to use them for real yet. We do our share of solo trips so a winch up front and ramps are nice to have along.

LR Max

Local Oaf
A tip for ya: If you use them for traction in mud/snow/sand/thick gooey misery, get a piece of rope (para cord, 1/4" nylon...whatever, I'd say...10ft?). Tie one end to the bridge and the other to the back of your truck/trailer. So when you'r tires bury them, then the truck will pull them out of the ground! Then you don't have to go fishing/possibly lose one of them.

However they look very good and would be excellent if you are somewhere solo and need to get over an obstacle. Easier than stacking rocks!

Also out of curiosity, per the previous thread, did you score both of these for under $100? I'm just looking for a ballpark pricing.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Love your mounting and the spreaders that hold them in place. Well done!

I am still pack'n mine under the back of my Avalanche:

Ladders.JPG
Ladder.JPG

Held up by a pair of spare tire winches. They act a shields for my spare fuel tank. Nice to have them along all the time and out of the way.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
fit well on the sides of racks too with some bent 2 x 1/4' strip and a couple of bolts

DSC_4139.jpg

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies. Good tip on tying a rope on before burying them. Like the idea of mounting up under the vehicle too.

Also out of curiosity, per the previous thread, did you score both of these for under $100? I'm just looking for a ballpark pricing.

They are about $10 per square foot cut to size without tax or shipping. If you do the math that makes it $80 for a pair of 4' x 1' wide or $120 for a pair of 4' x 1.5' wide.

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
The Kwik Floor looks pretty light duty to me for use as a bridging ladder but pretty slick for attic decking. Load rated for 275 lbs based on 2' span and only weighs 5 1/2 lbs. Looks about as attractive for heavy duty use as the retractable tow strap in the banner add to the right of it.

crossed-up

Observer
I've posted this in the Jeep section but thought it might be helpful here too...

These waffle boards are pretty cheap and readily available here in the UK, so figured it was worth taking a pair on our Euro trip this summer 'just in case', and mostly for their ability to bridge gullies and the like that may put the delicate panels of the WK in jeopardy. Given the limited use I envisage they will get I decided to make earn their keep and used them as part of the storage/drawer setup in the form of a shelf and luggage guard. The 48" versions fit nicely across the WK luggage area, so I made up an aluminium frame to mount the mount one horizontal, and a brace to hold the other vertically and secured with a couple of ratchet straps.

The first outing back in January...

I0000_v7ZXg4PbR0.jpg

I0000HDFZ4HWJ8VQ.jpg

How it is now after adding a removable folding table to extend the shelf, and adding the tool compartment cover and carpeting.

I0000baBbU5cMyXU.jpg

I0000Uuy8At4RAe0.jpg

I0000yEPsoqHpqWA.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz