BaoFeng Choices : UV 82, UV 5R, or UV 5X3

snare

Adventurer
Received my General license last week.

Looking for (at least a dual band) HT and will be shopping for a mobile with crossband repeater feature in the future.

I tend to like the UV 82 form better, due to reports of better build quality, better speaker (I am hearing impaired), dual PTT buttons, and better included antenna.

It seems the US sellers on eBay have the UV 82 at around the $30 shipped mark.

I am also wondering about the high/tri power versions of the UV 82.
There is the BaoFeng Tech UV82HP versions which run for $65 plus.

And there is also this UV82 high/tri power version from a Chinese seller for $47 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BaoFeng-UV-...4e4d08ae2840d687e3de50&pid=100506&rk=1&rkt=1&

The UV 5R seems to go for $26 or so.

The UV 5X3 is the tri band (2m, 1.25m, and 70cm) new version with the UV 5R form factor. It seems to have some new 'features and menus'.
It goes for about $65.
Looking on RepeaterBook, there are a few 1.25m repeaters close to where I am currently staying.

I live off of my motorcycle, travel and teach (plan on travelling with someone else in a 4 wheel vehicle soon), so I am roaming throughout the north american continent. The HT will be my primary for whenever i am travelling on the bike and it will be used when away from truck (will likely have two HTs actually), and with the crossband repeat function of the mobile. I see BaoFeng has a tri band mobile that includes 1.25m now (although it only transmits at 5W in that band).

Any thoughts?

And for those who have a UV 5R, for example, would you choose a UV82 now if you were buying one now? and vice versa?

Thanks !

Last edited:

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I have a UV-5R5 and a UV-82HP.

I'd pick any of the UV-82's if I had to pick between the current array of Baofeng's.

I don't know how much good the extra watts do (7 vs 5) of the HP model. I have the UV-82HP and can't say if it helps that much or not. It certainly can't hurt but I don't think it's going to be as big a factor as it seems.

The 82 is a bit larger but I feel like it's a better radio. Handles better, looks better, and the speaker is noticeably better. It also has a few more programming options.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
None of the above. Given your situation go get used Motorola gear. If, and I don't wish this, you dump it the used Motorola still works. No they aren't dual band but they are rugged. Older XTS rigs come in under $400.

The cheapie Chinese rigs, with one exception I know of, all have issue with spectral purity, reliability, and ease of use. The exception is Connect Systems. They have a hugely positive rep and great service. They are working on a multiband multi protocol rig but it's a year or two out I'd guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prerunner1982

Adventurer
The addition of the 220 Mhz band may be good for you and your travelling companion in the four wheeler to talk to each other with out being bothered by others. But wouldn't plan on using it to make contact with many other people otherwise. I wouldn't pay the additional for it.

Kind of like Airmapper said... 7 watts vs 5 watts, may not be worth almost double the price for little gain.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
I'm happy with my 82

I wouldn't pay extra for the tri-band, after a while with the HT you'll want to upgrade to a mobile rig anyways so save your money for that.

snare

Adventurer
thanks for the replies.

I was thinking the high power 82 because I am often in steep, narrow valleys/canyons and many in the east have very thick vegetation, so i was thinking that the extra 2 watts (with a better antenna) might at least be a help. I know it is minimal.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
thanks for the replies.

I was thinking the high power 82 because I am often in steep, narrow valleys/canyons and many in the east have very thick vegetation, so i was thinking that the extra 2 watts (with a better antenna) might at least be a help. I know it is minimal.

It is minimal, but like you wrote, it may be enough.
I have both a UV-B5 (5W unit) and a GT-3TP mark III (new-ish 8W unit).
I haven't been able to tell a difference on distance, but output watts at different power levels are very different. IAW: at low power setting the High Power unit is over 2W, we're the B5 is just over 1W.
This uses more battery. I use a 3800mA battery with the GT-3TP to help make up for this.
Since 90% usage is vehicle to vehicle, battery longevity is more important, in my specific application.
Everyone will have different needs, so considering all the factors is important.

Good luck with your choice. :beer:

Dazrin

Adventurer
I have the UV-5R and have been very happy with it although it sounds like the UV-82 or 82C would possibly be better for you since they are a little more rugged.

When I was looking a good friend who is the tech lead for a good sized amateur radio group around here suggested I avoid the 8W hand helds due to extra heat and minimal range gains. That said, if the new 8W unit has compatible batteries and accessories with the 5R it may fit your needs (especially the extended battery) better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles