Bantam T3-C build in progress

Mokey Wrench

Thanks to this forum I had the courage to find and begin building a trailer for exploring the western US. The main goal was to have a small trailer that could follow my modestly built 2008 4Runner.

I found an early Bantam T3-C trailer in Utah and brought it home to Colorado

D27CA21F-9934-494B-B4B3-CAA3E2CCBAF7.jpeg

It was rebuilt about 20 years ago and had light use before sitting in the back of a garage for the past 10 years. The trailer is missing it’s ID plate and I couldn’t find any serial numbers. The axle has the center weld seam, so it’s probably an early Bantam that used surplus Willy’s axles.

The trailer was in excellent shape when I bought it with minimal rust. The original floor is intact (just a little wavy) with marine grade plywood over it, with a healthy coating of bedliner on the inside of the tub. I scraped and sanded all the rust before treating it with rust converter and a fresh coat of spray paint- that should slow the rust till I learn how to weld, replace the floor with steel, and powder coat the frame and tub.

I begrudgingly did a spring over axle to fit 215/85r16 Cooper STT Pro tires. I wanted to keep the center of gravity as low as possible, but needed to tire clearance. The tires would rub the fender’s outer lip due to the offset of the Crager soft 8 wheels. It was hard to find a reasonably priced wheel to fit over the 4.28” hub bore size in the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. At least the wheels wider stance might add some stability.

I originally wanted matching wheels with the 4Runner, but decided against it and bought 3 wheel/tires combos for the trailer. The tall skinny tires fit the trailer perfectly with the SOA and just look “right” to me. Nothing against having 33”+ tires on these trailers, but 30” tires and SOA make for a plenty capable trailer. Time will tell if the ball hitch will be sufficient or it will be replaced with a multi access hitch.

04319BFF-D221-493C-9349-98307C195C71.jpeg

2C5A596A-E642-4204-A728-BB204E3A41ED.jpeg

Took the trailer to Dinosaur National Monument for its maiden voyage.
73369CB6-CB5D-4C29-9078-A9F66E302C07.jpeg

This little trailer pulls great and didn’t feel tippy. Granted the terrain wasn’t burly, but so far the handling is confidence inspiring. It’s time to add a transmission cooler since temps rose up to 230 degrees going up mountain passes.

Future plans include wood stake sides and a custom canvas cover. I recently learned how to sew and I have dreams of making a mini covered wagon. Also, the shock mounts need to be relocated after flipping the axle since the shocks are now too long. Moving the shock mounts would give the shocks a more vertical angle vs the 45 degree angle they would be now if I just went with shorter shocks.

Last edited:

old_CWO

I 100% concur with you on the skinny tires; they really look right on this kind of trailer.

Interesting color choice - I like that's it's different from the usual black, tan or tow rig matched.

Nice little trailer.

4runnerteq

Explorer
Sweet trailer. My M416 hasn't been out of the garage since we bought the SoCal 2 years ago. But heck, it still gets to live in the garage and the SoCal stays outside. Maybe one day one of my boys will want it.

Mokey Wrench

Thanks, I feel lucky to have found one that just needed fresh grease, paint, and tires. I just bought pine beetle kill boards to make removable side and will post pics once the wood and canvas is finished.

Mokey Wrench

Its been a fun trailer, and it helps me not miss having a truck bed for hauling messy items. Another item on the list is a spare tire mount, ideally underneath since there is plenty of room for a skinny tire with the axle flip. What are others using to mount their spare tire? FJ60 spare hoist?

cj8lvr

Your springs look new. Are they? Or just painted?
If new, what are they and where did you get them?

flatwerx

Its been a fun trailer, and it helps me not miss having a truck bed for hauling messy items. Another item on the list is a spare tire mount, ideally underneath since there is plenty of room for a skinny tire with the axle flip. What are others using to mount their spare tire? FJ60 spare hoist?
Reviving an old thread. I've had a 1946 Bantam T3-C for a little while now and the 75 year old leaf springs have broke. New ones are going in. Currently running 31" tires and wondering how much "lift" you gained by moving the leafs to the top of the axle? I'm contemplating doing this but as you stated, want to keep the COG low. I have a RTT on mine as well as a lid and wood floor. Not planning on adding shocks (is this a good or bad idea?).

Also, my first trip with it was to Dinosaur as well!
2A1A806C-A906-4BF7-9AC0-CF2CE4BC5E3F.jpeg
HllXzzr7StSoZjLw9cYTfA.jpg
ksco7++rRfuUl53Ay7PRTw.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94