Banned land rover 130

Toyotero

Explorer
That was a crappy article.... The title was banned vehicles. Most were just vehicles never brought in to the US since they didnt meet the DOT/EPA rules.

I think that whether or not it is a good article depends on who their target reader is. If they were targeting me, then I'd be pretty let down by the lack of info and the fact that they simply chose a few cars out of the hundreds (?) that are sold elsewhere in the world and not here. If they were targeting my little sister who doesn't know the difference between and Land Cruiser and an Land Rover, then the article is about as in depth as she would care to read... probably more so. At best it would inform her of the existence of autos that aren't present in the US, and perhaps spark her interest to read about one specific model on wikipedia.

meatblanket

Adventurer
Apples to apples, CJ to Series, it really depends on the vintage. A boxed '76-later CJ frame is a pretty solid piece. Even after living in Florida on the coast and through over a decade of Alaskan winters, my '80 frame is perfectly sound.

Yes, I was thinking of Jeep c-channel frames, they tend to twist up with use. Just eyeballing a CJ boxed frame versus a Series LR frame, the latter certainly looks beefier, and I suspect much less flexible assuming it hasn't rusted.

I've got a buddy with a 1983 CJ-7 that has patched so many cracks in his frame that it's probably got an entire spool of wire in it along with a good amount of plate. And it wasn't rusty either, he just uses it (very) hard. He ended up buying an aftermarket frame.

Yorker

Adventurer
Yes, I was thinking of Jeep c-channel frames, they tend to twist up with use. Just eyeballing a CJ boxed frame versus a Series LR frame, the latter certainly looks beefier, and I suspect much less flexible assuming it hasn't rusted.

Yeah maybe- I know one thing though I haven't met a Series Rover with a good original chjassis yet in NY but I have seen a lot of CJs and other C channel chassis vehicles still running on good original frames. I've pulled CJs out of hedgerows that have had way better frames than any Similar vintage series rover has had here. Blame the salt, the box section, the steel whatever- the pics I posted have been pretty typical of what I have run across. When I rebuilt my '65 I think I swept up more of the old frame than I cut up... :sombrero:

Of course one could argue that even when corroded they still hold up pretty well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94