Banned land rover 130

DividingCreek

Explorer
That was a crappy article.... The title was banned vehicles. Most were just vehicles never brought in to the US since they didnt meet the DOT/EPA rules.

agreed- none were ever eligible for entry here seems as though they simply pulled some of the more colorful off the list.

REDROVER

Explorer
easy because chevy ford and dodge couldnt compete with that on the market[/QUOTE

are u serious ? who makes your borgworner t case? even the engine is a chevy copy.

i am not a big ford chevy or dodge lover. but what part of the land rover is so superior that they cant make it?

loll some of u r just to funny

Attachments

• powered by ford.jpg
    powered by ford.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 28

meatblanket

Adventurer
easy because chevy ford and dodge couldnt compete with that on the market[/QUOTE

i am not a big ford chevy or dodge lover. but what part of the land rover is so superior that they cant make it?

Making a vehicle with aluminum body panels would be a new experience, but you're right, they could do it. They also might be able to build it using mechanical fasteners so that it can be disassembled, rather than a bunch of spot welds. Detroit doesn't have a history of doing that, but I'm sure it isn't beyond their capabilities.

Paladin

Banned
And Land Rover's frames were superior to the Americans for a long time. The first time they caught up, IMO, was the 2004 F-150.

meatblanket

Adventurer
True. And are there any American vehicles that offer a secure tool box under the seat? Or huge, forward facing air vents?

Yeah, I know the last one is NLA on recent Defenders, which is a sad thing.

REDROVER

Explorer
And Land Rover's frames were superior to the Americans for a long time. The first time they caught up, IMO, was the 2004 F-150.

u right on that i was working on my rovers motor mounts and i was thinking that how well made that frame is.
hummer h1 has the same type of frame as rover

Yorker

Adventurer
Fell out? :Wow1:

I know you guys have some corrosion issues there, but that's crazy!

20+ years of salty roads will do that.

and this:
gotframe.jpg

gotframe2.jpg

gotframe3.jpg
:coffeedrink:

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Seeing that, I had two thoughts:
1.) When was my last tetnus booster?
2.) Are Land Rover frames really so superior? I point to the multiple sources of replacement frames as a possible indication that they aren't.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Apples to apples, CJ to Series, it really depends on the vintage. A boxed '76-later CJ frame is a pretty solid piece. Even after living in Florida on the coast and through over a decade of Alaskan winters, my '80 frame is perfectly sound.

Yorker

Adventurer
Seeing that, I had two thoughts:
1.) When was my last tetnus booster?
2.) Are Land Rover frames really so superior? I point to the multiple sources of replacement frames as a possible indication that they aren't.

That 88" rusted out in that area- probably because of crap that got in through the grommet in the hole the rear wiring harness goes into. I've seen 4 or 5 other NY 88s that looked more or less the same there. It makes me wonder if you's be better off to run the harness outside of the frame. (Of course it was rusted out and nasty elsewhere- the rear crossmember was gone and replaced back in the 1980s'.)

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
As I see it, that is the main liability of the Series frames. Stuff can get in, but it's not so easy to get it out. The drain holes plug easily, so you've got a sealed tank where condensation and other nasty stuff can go to work.

Still, the metal that isn't enclosed seems to rust out fairly easily too. Might be the specific alloy or thickness. Maybe it's a designed feature, a "check chassis" light that let's you know when it's time to do a complete rebuild.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz