Ball joint, tie rod and CV removal video

keilefson

Watched this as I was struggling to get my ball joint loose. Good news is I got it loose! Bad news is I can’t seem to make enough room to get it free without running into the back of the wheel bearing. Any tips on getting the ball joint out without removing the bearing?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Watched this as I was struggling to get my ball joint loose. Good news is I got it loose! Bad news is I can’t seem to make enough room to get it free without running into the back of the wheel bearing. Any tips on getting the ball joint out without removing the bearing?

I'm not understanding what you mean.

Haha is Mark coming to the Rubi?

A sort of maybe. ?

Toasty

Does this procedure work the same on a gen 2/2.5?

Yes, and basically any car or truck. The only difference on the Gen 1 & 2 is that there are two more tie rod ends, a pitman and idler joint to break free as well.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Just for the record, I’ve had CV’s come out that easily before but I’ve also had to attach chain to them and use a 40lb lead beater to yank it out. And everything in between......

keilefson

I'm not understanding what you mean.

I was being foolish, i figured it out. The bearing was stuck in there though. Stuck for good, too. I ended up taking the knuckle to a shop that was unable to remove the the bearing even with their 20 ton press. Ended up getting a knuckle from a scrapyard. I needed that validation after failing to get it out of the knuckle after 2 days.

Toasty

You have NO idea how much I could have used this video a few weeks ago. ??o_O .

Your post was one of the reason I made the videos, you're not the first and definitely not the last to have trouble getting these things apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles