Baldy

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I will be there when they get more snow. I was on the paid ski patrol there for 15 years, it's really the only lift served mountain with terrain comparable with some of the bigger resorts like Mammoth. I'm not talking length of run but rather terrain. The only other So Cal area with similar terrain would be Waterman which may be opening soon.

I would also be interested in hiking and skiing at Baldy or any other back country peaks.

I will be there when they get more snow. I was on the paid ski patrol there for 15 years, it's really the only lift served mountain with terrain comparable with some of the bigger resorts like Mammoth. I'm not talking length of run but rather terrain. The only other So Cal area with similar terrain would be Waterman which may be opening soon.

I would also be interested in hiking and skiing at Baldy or any other back country peaks.

I hear you on the the terrain...I won't ski anywhere else locally. As for Waterman, I think the last time I was up there was in 98.

I was hoping for better results out of this last storm but at least there is some base up there to build off of. I managed to secure a season pass on a special deal so I'm hoping the El Nino treats us right this year.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I hear you on the the terrain...I won't ski anywhere else locally. As for Waterman, I think the last time I was up there was in 98.

I was hoping for better results out of this last storm but at least there is some base up there to build off of. I managed to secure a season pass on a special deal so I'm hoping the El Nino treats us right this year.

I cant remember the last time I skied Waterman, well over 15 years I think. Before I worked at Baldy I patrolled and taught at Kratka Ridge which is no gone. I am up for Baldy as soon as they get some good snow. Keep me in the loop.

Got up there twice in the past week. Last Thursday was "REAL" interesting. While the pow was good, the weather was very difficult. We actually decided to ski down to the parking lot around 2:30 and that is a decision I would rather have not made. Its been about the only time I have ever been concerned up there...we passed one section (Nightmare I think) that had slid. I was real happy to get back to the Jeep and get the he!! out of there LOL.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I have kicked off some massive slides on Nightmare in the past when prepping the slopes to open for skiers. We would normaly throw charges but when the guy wasnt there who was certified to make the charges we would ski cut the slopes for avy control. Those were some fun times and a little crazy at times.

Got up there twice in the past week. Last Thursday was "REAL" interesting. While the pow was good, the weather was very difficult. We actually decided to ski down to the parking lot around 2:30 and that is a decision I would rather have not made. Its been about the only time I have ever been concerned up there...we passed one section (Nightmare I think) that had slid. I was real happy to get back to the Jeep and get the he!! out of there LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94