Balancing Tires 385/65R22.5 with a "balancing powder"

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Hi guys, we are at the point of getting our 385/65R22.5 tires put on and as this is our first truck I have a question about balancing. I know that car tires are generally balanced when installed but it seems that commercial truck tires are not. The option they offer is a kind of powder in a bag (not the beads) that they place in the tire at installation. It is another $25 a tire for this. Does this stuff work and is it worthwhile?

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Thanks Joe, will likely get the powder. If it smooths things out any and prolongs the life of the tires (both are supposed to be attributes) then the money is worth it.

erwin z

Most people are aware of balancing. Mount the tire on the rim, balance the tire, mount to vehicle.
Heavy truck is a little different.
Trailer and drive tires aren't usually done.
Steer tires are.
Steer axle is jacked and one tire at a time is spun to about 100 mph. Lead weights are then applied.
Heres a video clip to show some of the process.
When balanced, there will be no vibration.
However, you are talking about a huge tire. Head to a heavy truck shop from there.

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
We just put Dynabeads in our 365/80R20. We still haven't tested them out on the road, but they get good reviews, they are relatively inexpensive, and they were easy to install.

Michael

rblackwell

Adventurer
have used powder in 295/60r22.5 on my Earthroamer. Seems ok

Tried beads in 395/85r20 on my mog .. they glog up the valves. Now dont use anything in the 395s. At 80-90 kph they dont turn very fast so balancing does not seem to be an issue

Neil

Observer
We have the beads . Never had a wobble or vibration.

Funily even when you have a couple of kilos of mud on the tyres and rims, i have also never had a wobble or vibration.

I guess it must be working

Neil

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
As a follow up, I called around and most truck tire places in our area do not machine balance truck tires. Most now use these beads/powder as a way to dynamically balance the tires (and a lot of trucks never bother with the beads). This has the reported benefit of continuously balancing your tires as they wear or just get mud packed on the rims (though the powder/beads cna only counteract so much mud). Since we consider this a passenger truck and the place we are getting the tires from uses the powder we will go with it and see how it goes.

Questor

Huge member
When I had the MPT81 365/80 R20 tires installed, the truck shop was able to do a high speed dynamic balance on each wheel as part of the installation process.
Truck is vibration free at cruising speed of 80 KMH (50 MPH).
Q~

erwin z

From the avitars, I thought we might be talking about regular trucks.
So Questor, may I ask if you are talking about a Unimog ? If so, did they make any
mention of the camber ?

CragMog

Unimog U1300L initially with Conti MPT81’s. Tried lead and it spat the lead off the rim within the first day. Tried powder, marginal affect and only at speed. Tried beads, marginal and only at speed. Added more beads. Slight improvement. A buddy and I bought a truck tyre balancing machine and stuck the lead on with Sika. Not pretty, but, at 65psi, the ride was sensational. You realise how much steering wobble you have once it disappears. Switched to XZL 365/80’s and ran without balancing. Not bad. Balanced with stick on weights. Much better. Run them at 45psi. Will replace with stuck on edge weights at the next rotation. Wobble is not good for big portal bearings. Tyre wear is very much better. Much less toe & heel wear.

Questor

Huge member
From the avitars, I thought we might be talking about regular trucks.
So Questor, may I ask if you are talking about a Unimog ? If so, did they make any
mention of the camber ?
The truck shop that did the tires on my U1300 did not do anything to the alignment.
The previous tires did not have any abnormal wear, only severe cupping, but they did have about 30K miles on them.
Q~

erwin z

Severe cupping is abnormal wear.

1. Is it dangerous to drive on cupped tires?
One is an inadequate suspension system. If your shocks are worn out and the tires are literally bouncing up and down as you drive down the road, every time they come down, they get scuffed, and that leads to cupping. ... TOM: Unfortunately, it's really not safe to drive on cupped tires.

2. Even tire shops sometimes incorrectly identify feathering or heel-toe wear as cupping. A wheel that is out of balance may also cause cupping or bald spots to form, though there will be fewer hills and valleys than you'd see with cupping caused by a failed shock absorber. ... The cause was mainly underinflated tires.
if no one said anything before...

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Anyone know if the "European Style" valve stems (9.7mm x 41mm) which, I think, are a bit narrower than the American standard, would be a problem with adding Dynabeads after installation? It does not look like on the Dynabead site that they offer different "filtered valves", so would adding these beads cause issues with airing down the tires? I have also inquired at the Dynabead company but I have an appointment tomorrow morning to install the tires (I know, a bit late but I am trying to move this build along as we are ready to be out traveling now :)).

krick3tt

Adventurer
I did not use anything in my MOG tires but did use beads in the pinz, although it is a smaller tire, and it rode well, never faster than 55 MPH except downhill. I used air soft pellets in the pinz, about 10 to 12 ounces per tire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior