Balancing 37's - Beads?

John M.

Hello from Vancouver!

I am just about to order some 37" tires for my brand new super single rims. I have heard good things about tire beads for balancing these, and will go that way unless someone convinces me otherwise.... Thoughts from those who've been there and done that?

With thanks,
John
(2003 FG649)

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Go for it, never had a problem. Biggest thing is most people that have had problems it is mainly because they don't put enough in. The rate that I use is 1oz per ten pounds of tyre or part there of (94 lb tyre would get 10 0zs of beads). I use stainless beads that I import from the states. These can be reused and don't block up the valve stems when airing down.

Dan.

Last edited:

John M.

Thanks Dan. I had heard that 1 oz / 10 lbs was the way to go. Can you give some more detail about the size of the ones you use? They have to be a good diameter to stay out of the valve stem..

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
37’s can be static balanced if no beadlocks or such without much trouble. I have used the beads and Centramatic, both with good results.

aknightinak

I've used both Counteract and Daisy BBs in a few sets of bias ply tires over 36 and had good results. Counteract offers a chart to help determine how much to use. Keeping them out of the stem isn't a concern. As the tire spins up they will be thrown up against the tread and tread shoulder with the centrifugal force, not the rim. For that matter, Counteract beads actually get installed through the stem.

yabanja

Explorer
I use Beads. Happy with the results. Particularly remaining balanced when the tires have a lot of mud on them. Use extra. 1 oz per 10 lbs should do it.

Allan

John M.

Thanks for all the replies. The "pro" side for beads is well represented and my concern about the reliability of stick-on or rim weights is high. Beads it will be.
As an aside, my Toyo retailer informed me today that 37" tires are virtually unattainable due to pandemic supply chain issues. It seems that I was able to get 5 of the last ones in Canada today. I was told that Toyo is focussing on transport truck tires and basic OEM sizes and "fun" tires like 37's won't be available until July 2021.

Cheers!
J.

skippythedog

Observer
Get a set of Hankooks from Tony out of Calgary, who brings them into the port at Ladner....I run 8ozs of beads in my 37" tires......The only thing I have ever noticed is an extremely light, side to side oscillation of the steering wheel as you accelerate through about 18-20mph....perhaps as the beads find their spot...hardly worth mentioning. Lots of horror stories about lead weight balancing. Beads are the way to go!

Attachments

• 2229A425-8C4C-4AA0-8877-FFD02F3CB452.jpeg
    2229A425-8C4C-4AA0-8877-FFD02F3CB452.jpeg
    543.5 KB · Views: 26

Zuber

I'd get them balanced using lead weights, THEN install beads. That way you don't need as much of the beads. Steel shot (shotgun) is cheap and easy to recover with a magnet.

John M.

Get a set of Hankooks from Tony out of Calgary, who brings them into the port at Ladner....I run 8ozs of beads in my 37" tires......The only thing I have ever noticed is an extremely light, side to side oscillation of the steering wheel as you accelerate through about 18-20mph....perhaps as the beads find their spot...hardly worth mentioning. Lots of horror stories about lead weight balancing. Beads are the way to go!

I got my rims from Tony. Super guy. Tires are from a retailer that also serves my employer, a pretty big customer, so I managed a very satisfactory prices on some Toyos. Only a few more days to wait.......

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Thanks for all the replies. The "pro" side for beads is well represented and my concern about the reliability of stick-on or rim weights is high. Beads it will be.
As an aside, my Toyo retailer informed me today that 37" tires are virtually unattainable due to pandemic supply chain issues. It seems that I was able to get 5 of the last ones in Canada today. I was told that Toyo is focussing on transport truck tires and basic OEM sizes and "fun" tires like 37's won't be available until July 2021.

Cheers!
J.
They are working 24/7 to keep up with demand. I question why there ever was an issue. Every video I see of a tire factory shows a considerable distance between workers. Tires are not an essential product? The shop I use goes through a major distributor and they can't get Toyos and many brands. A customer did bring some in that they obtained through an internet source. He always balances Toyos with weights. All sizes.

Decanter

Adventurer
They are working 24/7 to keep up with demand. I question why there ever was an issue. Every video I see of a tire factory shows a considerable distance between workers. Tires are not an essential product? The shop I use goes through a major distributor and they can't get Toyos and many brands. A customer did bring some in that they obtained through an internet source. He always balances Toyos with weights. All sizes.
It could be raw materials used in the manufacturing.

cameronsturgess

Heads up on tires and load ratings. We found that once we completed our build and loaded the truck for camping that our rear tires were beyond the load capacity of most 37s. The typical 37 12.5R17 that fit on Tony’s super single time have a load rating of 124. Which is 3500 lbs a tire. There are only two tires that we found which have a higher load rating (radar and patriot). Both of these have a load rating of 131 or 4500lbs. We are switching out to these to ensure the rear tires are within the tire load ratings. As a result we have a set of 5 x 37s (hankook MT) with 14000 km on them for sale.

yabanja

Explorer

Cheers!
J.

In the states 4WHEELPARTS has good supply still. They are more focused on off road parts.

Allan

skippythedog

Observer
Heads up on tires and load ratings. We found that once we completed our build and loaded the truck for camping that our rear tires were beyond the load capacity of most 37s. The typical 37 12.5R17 that fit on Tony’s super single time have a load rating of 124. Which is 3500 lbs a tire. There are only two tires that we found which have a higher load rating (radar and patriot). Both of these have a load rating of 131 or 4500lbs. We are switching out to these to ensure the rear tires are within the tire load ratings. As a result we have a set of 5 x 37s (hankook MT) with 14000 km on them for sale.

?

Attachments

• fgtires.PNG
    fgtires.PNG
    225.7 KB · Views: 23

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles