BajaRack and Tepui Ayer Roof Top Tent (RTT) - Anyone have this combo?

Ronct110

Adventurer
Hi Folks.

I have a 2004 Land Rover Discovery II w/the BajaRack Expedition Rack. Just purchased a Tepui Ayer RTT - nice entry level pricing tent by the way and looks to be quality tent for the price.

Anyway, the pre-drilled holes on the tent are too close to the metal slats on the rack; I need to cut about 1/2" off the BajaRack RTT mounting plates (pic 4) for the rear to make it fit; and for the front, the 2 holes are not centered and too close to the metal slats to make use of the Bajarack RTT mounts that came with rack.

I am thinking of drilling new holes and plugging the old ones w/some kind of nylon nuts/bolts to keep water/dirt out.

Before I do that, any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

Pic 1 - 4 Pre-drilled holes in the Tepui Ayer tent; you can see the two front and two rear holes.

Pic 2 - Mounted the ladder and ready to do a pre-fit test.

Pic 3 - Rear holes are too close to the metal slats to make use of the BajaRack RTT mounting plates that came w/the rack. Also the front (not shown) off center and close to the metal slats

Pic 4 - Need to cut about 1/2" or simply drill new holes.

DSC_0865.JPGDSC_0870.JPGDSC_0871.JPGDSC_0872.JPG

Last edited:

pilosopo

Adventurer
Is there a reason you don't want to use the aluminum extrusion for mounting? It would basically solve your problems.

Also, and I know this from experience, the holes are placed in line with a sort of strengthened, non insulated beam, in the floor structure. If you do drill new holes, they have to be in line with what's there along the long side of the tent.

Ronct110

Adventurer
Thanks guys for the feedback! Wrapped up the install, went camping to test the RTT, and finally have the opp to post back here today.

I talked to Evan and we figured out a solution. Ended up drilling new holes (and plugging the old ones) yet not compromising structure of the RTT.

Decided not to go w/alum bars that came w/the tent to keep mounting simpler and wanted to use the brackets made for RTTs that came w/the BajaRack - see pictures.

Pic 1 - Finished the install (drilled new holes; Tepui Ayer RTT mounted using 4x Bajarack RTT mounting brackets)
Pic 2 - Loaded up, ready to strap gears down on the rack and go camping.
Pic 3 - Really like the tent!

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    466.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 31

Ronct110

Adventurer
Like it; plus the Ayer tent surface size fits perfectly square on my Baja expedition rack.

Also with the air deflector on the Bajarack, helps w/mpg on the hwy; hardly seem to experience drop after the RTT after the install. Last fill-up maybe I lost 1 mpg, but the prior fill-up, same mpg before RTT install.

Ayer tent is a lil lower profile and ligther vs the other larger Tepui RTTs. I really like it.

Dennx

Adventurer
Like it; plus the Ayer tent surface size fits perfectly square on my Baja expedition rack.

Also with the air deflector on the Bajarack, helps w/mpg on the hwy; hardly seem to experience drop after the RTT after the install. Last fill-up maybe I lost 1 mpg, but the prior fill-up, same mpg before RTT install.

Ayer tent is a lil lower profile and ligther vs the other larger Tepui RTTs. I really like it.

How is your tent holding up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles