Baja XL 2021... Anyone else signed up?

amcjen

A few of us are planning on it in the motorcycle class. Waiting to see a bit on how the borders look with Covid before pulling the trigger.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
I've been looking into doing one of these for a while now... just kinda curious if it's worth the cost for some more casual travelers like my wife and I who have never done a rally before.

If you sign up to the Touring class you can do as little or as much of the navigation competition as you want. Overall it's not a race, it's a navigation rally, basically an off-road easter egg hunt. They have checkpoints set up that you try and find and then take a picture or some other way to log that you reached it. Fastest doesn't mean the most points. Many people seem to do the touring because it's a great way to learn about travel in Baja with an experienced, theoretically like minded, group, granted it's a quick pace, but you will get to see all of the peninsula. I've heard of people forgoing some of the route to spend a few days in a particular place then meeting up with the group later.

monark192

Observer
If you sign up to the Touring class you can do as little or as much of the navigation competition as you want. Overall it's not a race, it's a navigation rally, basically an off-road easter egg hunt. They have checkpoints set up that you try and find and then take a picture or some other way to log that you reached it. Fastest doesn't mean the most points. Many people seem to do the touring because it's a great way to learn about travel in Baja with an experienced, theoretically like minded, group, granted it's a quick pace, but you will get to see all of the peninsula. I've heard of people forgoing some of the route to spend a few days in a particular place then meeting up with the group later.

I think you have to enter the Racing category to take part in the navigation competition as that is the only way you get the GPS tracker for your vehicle that is used to verify most check points. You are right that you can do as little or as much of each day as you want as you will always know where the end of stage camp / hotel is.

Attachments

• IMG_4054.JPG
    IMG_4054.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Question for the participants - do you know if there are still open slots? Is this refundable in case the event is cancelled or the border closes?

Edit: Looks like it's non refundable. Also looks like the border is semi-closed to non-essential travel. So this is not looking super promising at the moment unfortunately...

Thanks

Last edited:

nbutze

Don't worry about the border. Only a couple of the border crossings are "restricted" but from those that have visited, said that it was painless. Possibly the race will start on the Mexican side of the border so that the Europeans can fly in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles