Baja Overland Build - - “BOB” The M1102

Ryannnz

Herrrre we go... As part of our Baja 1000 Race team, we just started an overland trailer build.

BOB will be part of our race crew and I just want to start with a solid thanks to this community for design inspiration so far. More posts to come but call out to [mention]shack [/mention] [mention]ToRo13 [/mention] [mention]dstock [/mention] amongst others for your build updates.

If you guys want to see more behind the scenes inc the pickup process from Gov Planet in Yermo check our video...

(Sweet hummer footage... Plus peek into Trailer Heaven)

More to come...

4423cdf4bea6d84e073c6c15fcc0576b.jpg

b96ba365d5911b2d76c07fb9023f6869.jpg

ce4da1083333ba091d68b16fb2720c7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryannnz

(Update Jan-31) - - ⛺??Baja Overland Build (BOB) M1102 Military ??⛺

Overall Goal:
Build a solid camping trailer to chase our race truck through the SCORE Baja 1000 (Ensenada to La Paz 2021). Side hustle - Family camping trips.

Platform: M1102 Trailer, Schutt Industries - 2012
  • Purchased from Gov Planet; Here
  • Why You Want This:
    • 37” run flats - controversial for weight, yet still... I liiike
    • High clearance
    • Great departure
    • Parking brakes
    • Stabilizers
    • Tie downs a plenty
    • Rear tailgate
    • Surge brakes - controversial for ride, but still me likes
    • Looks like Rambo

Step Numero Uno: Rack Build
  • Objective - Hold a roof-top tent, leave space for surfboards and tons of gear.

Steps for Success; 1. Pickup loads of metal 2. Plasma cut a custom nameplate for your baby 3. Start small fire ?next to the plasma cutter (Yowza!) 4. Math stuff 5. Cut, weld, beer, repeat. 6. Mount

• ???Trailer + Rack Dimensions ??? - Put Your Hands in the AIRRRRR! ?
    • 7 foot tall compressed … Size matters
    • +100 inches tall … Size matters
    • 900 lbs. Maximum load
    • Weight: 4 chupacabras
    • Total dimensions - 90" x 87" …
...Coming up, Paint

Attachments

• 23A64302-512F-4E4A-BA04-1D308133AA93.jpeg
    23A64302-512F-4E4A-BA04-1D308133AA93.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 51761C28-AEDF-4224-A46F-90F6045E3934.jpeg
    51761C28-AEDF-4224-A46F-90F6045E3934.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 61
  • a8888e94-be4a-4639-85bd-0b2af31a7d44.jpeg
    a8888e94-be4a-4639-85bd-0b2af31a7d44.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7950.jpeg
    IMG_7950.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7987.jpeg
    IMG_7987.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_8023.jpeg
    IMG_8023.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_8027.jpeg
    IMG_8027.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_8028.jpeg
    IMG_8028.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_8039.jpeg
    IMG_8039.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_8046.jpeg
    IMG_8046.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 56

harrisor

Hi Ryan, I’ve enjoyed seeing the build progress on your YouTube series. I do plan to use your build as some inspiration even the ones that you had mentioned in your post as well. I just got back from Cali yesterday with my trailer. Are y’all up running the 24v electrical system on the trailer? Did you happen to change the system out and switch to a 7pin? As far as metal, did you go the steel route over aluminum for cost and strength? I’m debating between aluminum or steel, but all the welds will be done by a mig welder. I really like how you did your slide posts for the actuators!

Ryannnz

Hi Ryan, I’ve enjoyed seeing the build progress on your YouTube series. I do plan to use your build as some inspiration even the ones that you had mentioned in your post as well. I just got back from Cali yesterday with my trailer. Are y’all up running the 24v electrical system on the trailer? Did you happen to change the system out and switch to a 7pin? As far as metal, did you go the steel route over aluminum for cost and strength? I’m debating between aluminum or steel, but all the welds will be done by a mig welder. I really like how you did your slide posts for the actuators!

@harrisor, glad u dig the series!

Steel is the way we are going. Strength was more important than weight in this particular use case and build (to us).

12V and 4 pin, not 7 pin, conversion is coming. Latest on electrical linked below with more coming.

Knifeknut

@harrisor, glad u dig the series!

Steel is the way we are going. Strength was more important than weight in this particular use case and build (to us).

12V and 4 pin, not 7 pin, conversion is coming. Latest on electrical linked below with more coming.

Keep the videos coming! We grabbed an M1102 the day before the last upload. Imagine our surprise with there being fresh content on a random item that we just purchased.

The wife, and I for that matter, really loves your build concept and honestly we will probably end up doing something very similar. The drive from Atlanta to Moab would be greatly helped by lowering the tent out of the airstream as much as possible. However we have no children so our RTT will not be quite as massive as that beast you guys are running. ?

dstock

Explorer

Harrisor - One thing to keep in mind when deciding between 12v 4pin and 12v 7pin is whether or not you plan to run electric brakes on the trailer which will require 7pin. 7pin also gives you the ability to charge your trailer battery when the vehicle's engine is running. Installing 7pin now ensures you are future upgrade proof, and believe me, the upgrades never stop lol, I'm still upgrading mine several years later.

Ryan - The build is looking great!

harrisor

Harrisor - One thing to keep in mind when deciding between 12v 4pin and 12v 7pin is whether or not you plan to run electric brakes on the trailer which will require 7pin. 7pin also gives you the ability to charge your trailer battery when the vehicle's engine is running. Installing 7pin now ensures you are future upgrade proof, and believe me, the upgrades never stop lol, I'm still upgrading mine several years later.

Ryan - The build is looking great!

Thank you for the responses!
@dstock I've definetly been reading your thread on your build as well as following your IG.

@Ryannnz Very cool thanks for the info and link.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior