baja june 2012 ,trip report

theicecreampeople

Adventurer
Well guys this is my first trip report ,if your in to spelling or punctuation etc ,stop reading this report it will bug the hell out of you ,i can build you a custom house but cant write worth a dam ...lol..also i write like im talking ,took my english teacher a while to figure that out ,but got A's when she did ...lol..that being said here it goes . I fell in love with baja when i was young ,growing up in CA i traveled there alot as a kid ,in my 20s i lived in oceanside and would travel looking for waves ,no crowds in the line up, and just a fun time ,who knew i was overlanding then..lol..we never had fancy 4x4 etc just a drive for fun .
My father in law has a house between Todas Santos and Cabo ,we would vist alot with our son mostly flying,untell we found the yucatan, always loved mexico but was so nice there in play del carmen,tulum etc,i only have driven all the way to cabo one time years ago and it was a crazy road .trucks almost running ya off the high way etc..
My farher in law (Nick)has lived there for many years .Now with his health in bad shape and being 85 he lives in california ,he was at my house in texas getting a sholder replacement and was in major pain ,and was missing his house bad ,knowing he may not be able to see it agin ...so i said i would take him when he got better ,wow he got better and was ready to go a few months later ..lol..the old crazy father in law was back ...ha ha...he wanted to drive and after reading all the reports on driving in mexico ,etc with the cartels ,i was a bit nervous ,but keep thinking about the fun times i had when i was younger ,the mexican people ,the food (tex mex is not the same ,just saying),what a adventure it could be and i was itching for a trip so it was on ,i was able to give him 2 weeks and was lucky to have a friend join me ,share driving ,etc ....Roger.xjintex was able to join .Roger and i were still a bit nervous as all the warnings but excited all the same .So we flew to LA and started our trip . mexico 2012 001.jpg
Well i wanted to write how crazy things were ,how we got chased down by bandititos ,ran off the road ,robed ,raped or somthing ...lol..i have nothing ?????it was such a easy trip ,no issues ,the mexican people were awsome ,so nice ,i cant tell ya ..i was more missing the crazy wild west it was when i was younger ,the bad road ,the paying cops off for stupid traffic fines like i had done many years ago ,hell even the check points were a breeze ,no stinkin story for you all ???I will be driving down agin soon and will be taking my wife and son ,hell we have a house to use . but have to say this was a onroad trip ,both roger and i wished we had our rigs as to expore more and drive the beaches etc ..so will give you all a basic run down ......we went through the border in tijuana on a sunday just a red light green light and your through ,not like it used to be no one there to ask why your going in to mexico etc?mexico 2012 003.jpg
We hurried through Tijuana ,dont miss the exit to Rosarito it comes up fast ,Tiguana is the same as i remeber very crazy and very poor ,you will cruise by the border fence ,kinda strange mexico 2012 007.jpgmexico 2012 006.jpg then you will head in to Rosarito ,we took the toll road mexico 2012 010.jpg 3 stops and about 9 bucks ,used to be worth it but there didnt seem to be anyone in Rosarito ,mexico 2012 011.jpg,and no traffic on the tolls at all ,we made it to ensanada very fast and needed some baja mexican food bad ...mexico 2012 014.jpgmexico 2012 023.jpgmexico 2012 026.jpg i love the seafood cocktail ,shrimp ,octopus ,scallops,clams ,oysters ...the best ....roger not so much .....lol...now heading out of Ensanada is where the road stared to go bad ,back in my day ,now holy crap its nice ,wide ,newer ..in fact everything is different than i remember ,from Ensanada to El Rosario there were no crappy trucks smoking down the road with chickens and goats in the back ,it was nice everyone was busy,and seemed happy ,the agriculture was insane the cows were fat and horses didnt look sick and skinny .....very different from my memory when was younger mexico 2012 032.jpg TO BE CONTINUED ...

Well guys this is my first trip report ,if your in to spelling or punctuation etc ,stop reading this report it will bug the hell out of you ,i can build you a custom house but cant write worth a dam ...lol..also i write like im talking ,took my english teacher a while to figure that out ,but got A's when she did ...lol..that being said here it goes .

If anyone needs a translator.... I've traveled with Jason quite a bit and will be glad to lend my services for a hefty fee.

Can't wait to see more pics of what I missed out on!

theicecreampeople

Adventurer
continued

on the way from Ensenada to EL Rasario ,like i said was great mexico 2012 036.jpgmexico 2012 038.jpgand like i said the agriculture ,and live stock where incredible ...there are brand new pemex ,gas stations ,all over and most open 24 hrs ...we did not have a extra gas can with us ,i thought that was odd that nick did not load one in the gmc Arcadia ?and mine and rogers trip started at LAX so had no say in the packing ,you dont need one now as they were all open and working and brand new ,no power outages ,out of gas signs like in the past but will change soon ...we spent the nite in EL Rosario (claim to fame is where you sign up for the baja 1000)cool little town mexico 2012 046.jpgmexico 2012 049.jpgthis is where we stayed super new and cheep 40 dollars a nite we shared a room and was huge with 2 king beds ,yep i got stuck sleeping with the old guy ...no problems yet but things change once you leave EL Rasario ,there is nothing ,i mean nothing and as what i told you about gas ...nothing reliable until you get to Guerrero Negro ,so fill up in EL Rasario or bring gas .....mexico 2012 053.jpgmexico 2012 054.jpg here is where you can get gas but only out of the can ?pretty strange and not sure the charge ...sorry driving pics mexico 2012 056.jpgthat was in catillivina ,there is a cool hotel there .......will continue

RobGT

Observer
Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience while going to Baja. We are from the Netherlands and we can read your story well enough, our English isn't perfect either.
We planned to make the same trip from LA to Baja in November 2014. You took away some fears for dangerous situations one can read about in the newspapers.

Cheers, Rob and Nettie

Willman

Baja baby!

Gas on the side of the road sounds very common as i just read the University of Gravel Roads by Rene Cormier (great read BTW). Seems like that is how he got his fuel around the world...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior